Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Built-in freezer.

I am moving to a new home. The interior needs a complete overhaul. We
already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but do not
want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a front panel
matching the new kitchen units?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

but, you could use "stickly backed plastic" - to quote Blue Peter

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 12:10, charles wrote:
In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

but, you could use "stickly backed plastic" - to quote Blue Peter

Or buy a factory-made one in sickly colours from Smug.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

Andy Burns wrote:

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

but, you could use "stickly backed plastic" - to quote Blue Peter

Or buy a factory-made one in sickly colours from Smug.

I thought it was smeg ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 11:36, pinnerite wrote:
I am moving to a new home. The interior needs a complete overhaul. We
already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but do not
want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a front panel
matching the new kitchen units?

If it has a flat front and its not to deep, yes. You may have issues
with hinges and the door opening and jamming agianst a nexct door unit
at the hinge side

Otherwise ebay or gumtree it

And buy a builtin...

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 11:41, Andy Burns wrote:

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

...unless you are prepared to DIY...

--
Renewable energy: Expensive solutions that don't work to a problem that
doesn't exist instituted by self legalising protection rackets that
don't protect, masquerading as public servants who don't serve the public.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you
want to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

but, you could use "stickly backed plastic" - to quote Blue Peter

Or buy a factory-made one in sickly colours from Smug.

I thought it was smeg ?

Intentional typo :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 December 2020 at 11:36:49 UTC, pinnerite wrote:
I am moving to a new home. The interior needs a complete overhaul. We
already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but do not
want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a front panel
matching the new kitchen units?

In a literal new house, we chose to retain our free-standing fridge and freezer. Two gaps were left, with sockets fitted, ready.

I don't feel there would be any advantage in having integrated appliances. And detest many of the poor quality integrated appliances new home builders tend to fit.

For complex reasons, we got a new freezer and it took a few minutes to replace the original 13A socket with a Schuko socket. Avoiding the need to use the supplied Shhuko-to-13A adaptor - which made the freezer stick out!

Our kitchen layout does mean the fridge and freezer are not visible as you enter or walk through the kitchen. Only when you go round to the working area.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2020 11:36, pinnerite wrote:
I am moving to a new home. The interior needs a complete overhaul. We
already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but do not
want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a front panel
matching the new kitchen units?

There's no reason why not as long as you don't block the circulating
airflow to the compressor/condenser.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Firstly, it might not survive the move. So many times I hear that the
fridge or freezer never managed to work correctly after a period of being
off and moved. I can only guess at reasons. Maybe some damage during the
move, or perhaps there was an almost leaking seal and the gas got out.
However, assuming it does survive, you need to be sure there is a way for
the heat to be dissipated, Then it really depends on the door, whether you
can do anything. I have seen the same fridge being sold some time back with
custom doors or a way to fit skins on the normal ones. What you don't want
to be doing is drilling holes in any part of a freezer. Also remember the
door hinge line will not be at the same point as other cupboards, and hence
making it open without either having a gap or it fouling the unit can be
difficult to do, and might look like a bodge.
Just saying.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message

pinnerite wrote:

We already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but
do not want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a
front panel matching the new kitchen units?

Generally you have to buy "integrated" versions of appliances, if you want
to fit doors matching the kitchen to them.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)
wrote:
Firstly, it might not survive the move. So many times I hear that the
fridge or freezer never managed to work correctly after a period of being
off and moved. I can only guess at reasons. Maybe some damage during the
move, or perhaps there was an almost leaking seal and the gas got out.

Quite frequently they get turned on too soon after moving. Give them 2 days
rest befroe poeringb up.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 19/12/2020 20:31, Jack Harry Teesdale wrote:
On 19/12/2020 11:36, pinnerite wrote:
I am moving to a new home. The interior needs a complete overhaul. We
already have a good freezer and would like to take it with us but do not
want it to stick out like a sore thumb. Can it be faced with a front
panel
matching the new kitchen units?

There's no reason why not as long as you don't block the circulating
airflow to the compressor/condenser.

I have slightly wider worktop which has the dish washer / tumble dryer &
wash machine underneath, with the depth of the appliances I have approx
6 inches spare when the appliances are in situ.
I then have matching unit doors to hide them, so it looks like the rest
of the kitchen units.