Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to find/make/whatever things like this cheaply?

I have several hundred metres (maybe even a km or so) of electric
fencing around our land. One of the things one often has to do is tie
down loose folded over ends of electric fence tape and make
connections. The best bits of hardware I have found over the years
for doing this are these:-

https://lister24.de/zaunverbinder-bv-444.html

I have quite a lot of these, they tie down the loose ends nicely and I
make connections by using a crimp connector with a bolt through the
square hole (can't use the round hole as that's in the middle of the
tape when in use).

However they are rather expensive and also, since they are designed as
joiners, they aren't quite as good as they could be for the job I use
them for mostly.

So can anyone come up with a good way of getting say 50 or 100 of them
in a slightly modified format:-

* Three prongs only needed, just to slide firmly onto tape
* A smaller (5mm maybe) round hole instead of the square one
* Made in stainless steel (as the above are), about 1mm thick I think
* Price somewhat less, though for exactly what I want I suppose 50p is OK[ish]

Even ideas for cheap alternatives that only do one job would be
welcome. If I could buy very large paper clips made of stainless steel
they would provide the loose end fixing devices but I can't find
conventional paper clips in stainless.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 10:16, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

That's posh, we just use granny knots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:
[...]

Mine have lasted 20 years or so now without too much maintenance, and
they're still electrified throughout.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 14/12/2020 14:06, Chris Green wrote:

Mine have lasted 20 years or so now without too much maintenance, and
they're still electrified throughout.

It's possible that Newshound's fencing has lasted just as long?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 14/12/2020 14:06, Chris Green wrote:

Mine have lasted 20 years or so now without too much maintenance, and
they're still electrified throughout.

It's possible that Newshound's fencing has lasted just as long?

It's possible but IMHO unlikely. :-)

I have so often seen the mess people make with their electric fences
and then wonder why they don't work very well (often immediately but
nearly always within days or weeks). I get it on our fences because we
have someone who rents fields from us and does tie knots in their bits
of electric fence, they really don't last very long. It's not *just*
the knots, it's the whole attitude to making a decent electric fence.

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 16:42, GB wrote:
On 14/12/2020 14:06, Chris Green wrote:

Mine have lasted 20 years or so now without too much maintenance, and
they're still electrified throughout.

It's possible that Newshound's fencing has lasted just as long?

Not with some of the horses we have had! Also, ours gets moved around a
fair bit. The OP may be using it to keep horses off post and rail
fencing, and that has a much easier life.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/12/2020 17:41, Chris Green wrote:
GB wrote:
On 14/12/2020 14:06, Chris Green wrote:

Mine have lasted 20 years or so now without too much maintenance, and
they're still electrified throughout.

It's possible that Newshound's fencing has lasted just as long?

It's possible but IMHO unlikely. :-)

I have so often seen the mess people make with their electric fences
and then wonder why they don't work very well (often immediately but
nearly always within days or weeks). I get it on our fences because we
have someone who rents fields from us and does tie knots in their bits
of electric fence, they really don't last very long. It's not *just*
the knots, it's the whole attitude to making a decent electric fence.

There are a lot of factors, what sort of posts do you use?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plastic freezer bag clips? Lakeside plastics? The idea being to fold he
conductive tape so it made contact, then put the clip on and pop the little
end bit over to secure it.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please