Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wire Strippers

Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

--

NO DEAL? NO PROBLEM!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

I have a couple of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-autom...stripper/97204

and they work well for stripping both the sheath from mains and lighting
wire and then stripping the individual strands.

The handle has a wire cutter. The crimp functionality on the handles is
crap - you need a proper ratchet crimp tool for crimps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpV1vHm6yuU

Note: I've also had some experience with the cheaper version which have
slightly different arrangement on the cutting side. They have two razor
blade type inserts. I don't find this type very satisfactory as the
blades seem too aggressive and tend to dig into copper nicking it.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5K0AA...VI/s-l1600.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 23:48:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

Note: I've also had some experience with the cheaper version which have
slightly different arrangement on the cutting side. They have two razor
blade type inserts. I don't find this type very satisfactory as the
blades seem too aggressive and tend to dig into copper nicking it.

Would that be a cupronicker?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 23:48:25 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

I have a couple of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-autom...stripper/97204

and they work well for stripping both the sheath from mains and lighting
wire and then stripping the individual strands.

When you say "strands" ITYM the type of cable that has single, *thick*
cores, do you not?

Note: I've also had some experience with the cheaper version which have
slightly different arrangement on the cutting side. They have two razor
blade type inserts. I don't find this type very satisfactory as the
blades seem too aggressive and tend to dig into copper nicking it.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/5K0AA...VI/s-l1600.jpg

Yeah, I've got those ones, but I find that they're very hard to set
accurately and reliably so they often end up scalping too many fine
copper strands (of the multi-stranded core cable) in the process of
removing the insulation.

For thin, flexible lighting cable stripping I still haven't found
anything better than these cheapo things , even though they are a
little awkward to use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Crimpin...x65IiJ OytkyD
fn9o%252B89JQeoHZlsPNIrN7XQl%252F19Zxon3n37r4CbRTD vK8u%252BKVsJ0AhoVl0NUYNiCAlAUgVvg5ojHzr%252FmwgzH HMIKkepcsNwukfVw4ZOA%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A283560137 571ae4b028382474cf3a12bc7102e58ca13%7Campid%3APL_C LK%7Cclp%3A2334524

But like the others you mentioned they are hopeless for crimping.

--

NO DEAL? NO PROBLEM!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

OK I'm a dinosaur, but for most things I use a Victorinox two blade
penknife. The bigger blade is only 75mm but it is always extremely
sharp.In fact I sharpen it before each significant period of use. It's a
matter of skill and practice to strip wires this way; to cut through the
plastic but not damage the conductor.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have a couple of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-autom...stripper/97204

and they work well for stripping both the sheath from mains and lighting
wire and then stripping the individual strands.

When you say "strands" ITYM the type of cable that has single, *thick*
cores, do you not?

Yes they are good on wire with a single copper core or multi stranded
with thicker copper.

But like the others you mentioned they are hopeless for crimping.

You really do need a dedicated tool for reliable crimping.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2020 01:02, Cursitor Doom wrote:

For thin, flexible lighting cable stripping I still haven't found
anything better than these cheapo things , even though they are a
little awkward to use:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Crimpin...x65IiJ OytkyD
fn9o%252B89JQeoHZlsPNIrN7XQl%252F19Zxon3n37r4CbRTD vK8u%252BKVsJ0AhoVl0NUYNiCAlAUgVvg5ojHzr%252FmwgzH HMIKkepcsNwukfVw4ZOA%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A283560137 571ae4b028382474cf3a12bc7102e58ca13%7Campid%3APL_C LK%7Cclp%3A2334524

But like the others you mentioned they are hopeless for crimping.

Converted to tiny url (the latest version of Firefox is warning me that
tiny URLs are suspect and I have to override the warning.)

https://tinyurl.com/yy6892eg

I have a pair of those and the ONLY thing they are good for is cropping
very small bolts/screws (m2 to m5 - it may struggle with anything above m4)
Open the handles to reveal the appropriate hole, screw in the
bolt/screw, close the handles to cut it, unscrew the bolt/screw and it
re-cuts the thread at the end as you remove it.

Good for where you need replacement screws to connect electrical socket
face plates to back boxes and your stock of screws are very long because
you purchased a job lot of very long screws to accommodate back boxes
fitted before installing very thick tiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

the electrically heated hot ones

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2020 00:06, Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 23:48:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

tend to dig into copper nicking it.

Would that be a cupronicker?

No, it's a diddicoy

--
The lifetime of any political organisation is about three years before
its been subverted by the people it tried to warn you about.

Anon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

I've used this type (but not this make) for 20+ years, so I can vouch
for the design but not necessarily this implementation:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...ippers-6/4786v.
For thinner, stranded, wire the automatic strippers work well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/12/2020 03:34, williamwright wrote:
On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

OK I'm a dinosaur, but for most things I use a Victorinox two blade
penknife. The bigger blade is only 75mm but it is always extremely
sharp.In fact I sharpen it before each significant period of use. It's a
matter of skill and practice to strip wires this way; to cut through the
plastic but not damage the conductor.

I've always used a box cutter for the outer, small cut down centre and
then peel off, and normal small pliers for the inner.

I can see a proper wire stripper would be quicker if I were doing a
whole house, but for occasional jobs it would make the job longer trying
to find it in the first place.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Dec 2020 23:48:25 +0000, alan_m wrote:

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the

smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

I have a couple of these
https://www.screwfix.com/p/c-k-autom...stripper/97204

Have a virtually identical pair but branded "Workzone" so Aldi and
not £19.99 (Toolstation have the CK pair for (£18.98).

and they work well for stripping both the sheath from mains and lighting
wire and then stripping the individual strands.

Yep seem to cope with jackets and wires well from 2.5 mm^2 down to
stranded instrument wire.

Note: I've also had some experience with the cheaper version which have
slightly different arrangement on the cutting side. They have two razor
blade type inserts.

The Toolstation and Aldi one don't have "razor blade inserts" but
cutter blocks.

The only slight issue I have is that when stripping lots of wires you
have let the device open fully to reset the mechanisium. Fully open
is beyond the natural open position of my hand when holding the tool.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Wed, 09 Dec 2020 09:37:43 +0000, nothanks wrote:

On 08/12/2020 23:03, Cursitor Doom wrote:
Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

I've used this type (but not this make) for 20+ years, so I can vouch
for the design but not necessarily this implementation:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson...ippers-6/4786v.
For thinner, stranded, wire the automatic strippers work well.

I have used that style since the sixties, but you need several pairs set
for different wire combinations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Think I have every type ever invented - and my favourites are the type
with dedicated insulation cutting jaws - usually 4 sizes. The friction
self adjusting type have a habit of butchering thin flex like equipment
wire.

But for single core mains cable side cutters work just fine. Used with
skill.

--
*The more I learn about women, the more I love my car

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 08 Dec 2020 23:03:30 +0000, Cursitor Doom wrote:

Gentlemen,

What's the most effective type of wire stripper for doing the smallest
commonly available lighting cable (I think it's 1^2mm)?

Ta.

I've these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...eDesc=0&_sop=2
Not sure of the exact model but like
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Weicon-51...kAAOSwnB1fZKi2
Neat enough to get into most jobs and no cut in the conductor.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Wire strippers rbowman[_2_] Home Repair 3 June 11th 15 04:15 AM
Wire strippers gregz Home Repair 0 June 10th 15 04:30 AM
Wire strippers Uncle Monster[_2_] Home Repair 1 June 9th 15 06:37 PM
Thermal Wire Strippers tonkski[_2_] UK diy 3 July 13th 10 02:58 AM
FA : Ends Tonight. Teledyne Thermal Wire Strippers & Weller WTL1000 Oly Electronics Repair 0 November 24th 03 03:19 PM