Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler filling loop

We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop
built in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and
pressure gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop built
in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and pressure
gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

It probably does have an internal filling loop, however that does not
stop you having and additional traditional style loop elsewhere.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm formulated on Friday :
On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered and
will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop built in
or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and pressure gauge
in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

It probably does have an internal filling loop, however that does not stop
you having and additional traditional style loop elsewhere.

Brilliant, cheers John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop built
in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and pressure
gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

I have a Greenstar 24i which replaced a non-condensing boiler. It is
fitted where the old boiler was. Rather than make a huge mess moving
lots of pipes for the old traditional vented system with tank, the zone
valve is its old place in the cupboard with the hot water tank. The CH
header tank was removed and the filling loop is in the cupboard tapped
into the rising water feed to the loft cold water tank. There's a loop
and a remote pressure gauge along with 2 valves. It reads nearly the
same as the gauge on the boiler. I treat the boiler gauge as gospel,
read that and go and see what the other says and then add how ever much
I want and check the relative change on the filling loop gauge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop built
in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and pressure
gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

You shouldn't need to keep topping it up. That water is coming out
somewhere... ask the boiler fitter about it.

It could be something as simple as a bad expansion vessel.

Or a leak making your floor joists damp and rotten

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't you think that with all the innovations in boilers and the
considerable logic now possible at a relatively low cost, that they do not
build in sensors that do the topping up automatically. This would also serve
as a leak detector as if it needed topping up a lot there has to be a
problem.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"mm0fmf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's
knackered and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.
The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older
it's getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.
Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop
built in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and
pressure gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

You shouldn't need to keep topping it up. That water is coming out
somewhere... ask the boiler fitter about it.

It could be something as simple as a bad expansion vessel.

Or a leak making your floor joists damp and rotten

This is currently exercising my mind:-)

Having drained and re-filled the primary loop recently, I have become
aware that setting the system pressure exactly to that of the expansion
vessel leads to alarming pressure drops as the entrained air slowly
escapes via the auto bleed valves.

Stabilising now and I have stopped running round the house with a torch!

This must happen when plumbers do a system flush and re-fill from the
mains.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sat, 14 Nov 2020 08:46:20 +0000, Brian Gaff \(Sofa\) wrote:

Don't you think that with all the innovations in boilers and the
considerable logic now possible at a relatively low cost, that they do
not build in sensors that do the topping up automatically. This would
also serve as a leak detector as if it needed topping up a lot there has
to be a problem.
Brian

In one of my houses in the past, I had a coal fire with a back boiler.
Over the 20 odd years I was there, I never knew how the boiler got it's
water supply, but it always served up nearly boiling water with no
servicing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cliff Topp wrote in :

We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop
built in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and
pressure gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

I have just that for my WB in my loft. I have never used the integral one.
I also have a magnaclean in the airing cupboard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Don't you think that with all the innovations in boilers and the
considerable logic now possible at a relatively low cost, that they
do not build in sensors that do the topping up automatically. This
would also serve as a leak detector as if it needed topping up a lot
there has to be a problem.
Brian

If th epressure gets low then the boiler shuts down and shows a fault.
Surely better than it automatically topping up just under the treshold for
a warning..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

Don't you think that with all the innovations in boilers and the
considerable logic now possible at a relatively low cost, that they
do not build in sensors that do the topping up automatically. This
would also serve as a leak detector as if it needed topping up a lot
there has to be a problem.
Brian

If th epressure gets low then the boiler shuts down and shows a fault.
Surely better than it automatically topping up just under the treshold for
a warning..

An older open vented system with a header tank will just keep topping
itself up until you notice the leak. ;-)

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.