Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler filling loop

The flexible braided hose with the filling valves drips a bit when I use
it.
If it was more accesible and didn't need me to empty the cupboard of my
wife's stuff I would remove it and check what is happening.

Are there some standard o rings that I should arm myself with when I remove
it to investigate? It had thumb screw type nuts on each end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/18/2016 2:38 PM, DerbyBorn wrote:
The flexible braided hose with the filling valves drips a bit when I use
it.
If it was more accesible and didn't need me to empty the cupboard of my
wife's stuff I would remove it and check what is happening.

Are there some standard o rings that I should arm myself with when I remove
it to investigate? It had thumb screw type nuts on each end.

Since it is *only when you use it* presumably the connections to the
water mains and the boiler are OK, which suggests a leak from the
spindle of the valve. This in turn means it is *probably* not worth
trying to repair, I would be inclined to try to get a replacement hose.
ISTR they are supposed to include a double check valve.

POSSIBLE CORRECTION TO THE ABOVE, are you saying that it looks like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COMBI-BOIL...AOxyTjNScql ~

I've never had one like that, but this seems to have stop valves at each
end, which means that a leak between the valves and the flexible hose is
a possibility. Those "thumb screw" nuts might have O rings, but IME are
more likely to have normal flat washers, either rubber or fibre.

If you do a lot of DIY it's worth getting one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fibre-rubb...Al9hoC5rXw_wcB

and one of these

http://www.screwfix.com/p/arctic-pro...-225-pcs/4312j

(not necessarily from Screwfix, just used them as a convenient example).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote:
The flexible braided hose with the filling valves drips a bit when I use
it.
If it was more accesible and didn't need me to empty the cupboard of my
wife's stuff I would remove it and check what is happening.

Are there some standard o rings that I should arm myself with when I remove
it to investigate? It had thumb screw type nuts on each end.

They tend to use flat rubber washers. For O rings to work as designed
they need constraint which means a more complex fitting.
Washers need to fit neatly in a 1/2BSP screwed fitting.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 13:38:40 GMT, DerbyBorn
wrote:

The flexible braided hose with the filling valves drips a bit when I use
it.
If it was more accesible and didn't need me to empty the cupboard of my
wife's stuff I would remove it and check what is happening.

Are there some standard o rings that I should arm myself with when I remove
it to investigate? It had thumb screw type nuts on each end.

I think they are the same as washing machine hose washers. A chunky
washer rather than an O-ring

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote in
:

wrote:

The flexible braided hose with the filling valves drips a bit when I
use it.
If it was more accesible and didn't need me to empty the cupboard of
my wife's stuff I would remove it and check what is happening.

Are there some standard o rings that I should arm myself with when I
remove it to investigate? It had thumb screw type nuts on each end.

I think they are the same as washing machine hose washers. A chunky
washer rather than an O-ring

Time to clear a bit of space.and put a tray under to catch whatever is in
the pipe as I remove it. Thanks
..

worcester filling loop key problem blackhead UK diy 4 December 10th 10 05:50 PM
Filling loop tap harry UK diy 0 September 13th 10 06:51 PM
Plumbing - Filling loop M.Joshi UK diy 9 January 12th 07 11:31 PM
Combi boiler filling loop problem Robin Houston UK diy 4 November 15th 05 09:24 PM
How do I use the filling loop? Zara UK diy 5 October 2nd 04 07:45 PM