Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler filling loop

Don't you think that with all the innovations in boilers and the
considerable logic now possible at a relatively low cost, that they do not
build in sensors that do the topping up automatically. This would also serve
as a leak detector as if it needed topping up a lot there has to be a
problem.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"mm0fmf" wrote in message
On 13/11/2020 19:02, Cliff Topp wrote:
We currently have a condensing boiler up in the loft but it's knackered
and will be replaced soon with a Worcester Greenstar 30i.

The current boiler has a built-in filling loop but as I get older it's
getting more difficult to get up there to top up the system.

Does anyone know if the Worcester Greenstar 30i has a filling loop built
in or would it be possible to place a 'remote' filling loop and pressure
gauge in the piping as it goes up through the airing cupboard?

I have a Greenstar 24i which replaced a non-condensing boiler. It is
fitted where the old boiler was. Rather than make a huge mess moving lots
of pipes for the old traditional vented system with tank, the zone valve
is its old place in the cupboard with the hot water tank. The CH header
tank was removed and the filling loop is in the cupboard tapped into the
rising water feed to the loft cold water tank. There's a loop and a remote
pressure gauge along with 2 valves. It reads nearly the same as the gauge
on the boiler. I treat the boiler gauge as gospel, read that and go and
see what the other says and then add how ever much I want and check the
relative change on the filling loop gauge.