bruce phipps

Default Conservatories: pros and cons

I'm thinking of buying a house which has a UPVC conservatory.
I've never lived in a house with a conservatory before. But my
perception of conservatories is that they a

* Boiling hot in summer
* Full of condensation in winter; need loads of heating

What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who have a
UPVC conservatory?
For instance, could I comfortably sit in the conservatory on a winters
evening without feeling chilly?

Thanks
Bruce
Christian McArdle

For instance, could I comfortably sit in the conservatory on a winters
evening without feeling chilly?

My calculations show that my conservatory should be eminently heatable in
winter. It has double glazed walls and ceiling. I haven't actually ordered
the heating yet, though.

Christian.

Owain

"bruce phipps" wrote
| I'm thinking of buying a house which has a UPVC conservatory.
| I've never lived in a house with a conservatory before. But my
| perception of conservatories is that they a
| * Boiling hot in summer
| * Full of condensation in winter; need loads of heating
| What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who
| have a UPVC conservatory?

Somewhere to keep the coal or hang the washing when it's raining outside.

Owain

Tim Mitchell

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
For instance, could I comfortably sit in the conservatory on a winters
evening without feeling chilly?

My calculations show that my conservatory should be eminently heatable in
winter. It has double glazed walls and ceiling. I haven't actually ordered
the heating yet, though.

Ours has polycarbonate roof & dg walls and is heated adequately by a 2KW
electric convector heater even on very cold days.
--
Tim Mitchell
Andy Hall

On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 11:37:41 +0100, "Owain"
wrote:

"bruce phipps" wrote
| I'm thinking of buying a house which has a UPVC conservatory.
| I've never lived in a house with a conservatory before. But my
| perception of conservatories is that they a
| * Boiling hot in summer
| * Full of condensation in winter; need loads of heating
| What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who
| have a UPVC conservatory?

Somewhere to keep the coal or hang the washing when it's raining outside.

Owain

No that's the bath.....

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

"mike. buckley" wrote in message . uk...

We're just in the stages of ordering our conservatory. We've decided on
2 manual vents in the roof, but they've quoted us 350 quid each :-o
This is against a fairly cheap quote of 8k for all the rest of the work
(includes demolition of existing ****e extension and french doors in the
lounge). Anybody know if this is a reasonable figure (the roof vents,
not the overall quote)?

We've just had a conservatory built and when I asked the saleswoman
about roof vents she advised us against them. All our window units
open though so that provides enough ventilation to cool it down. With
all the windows and doors shut I've had temperature build up to 46
degrees C in the afternoon.
Owain

"Andy Hall" wrote
| "Owain" wrote:
| | What are the "real world" experiences of people on this NG who
| | have a UPVC conservatory?
| Somewhere to keep the coal or hang the washing when it's raining
| outside.
| No that's the bath.....

No, the bath's where mum kept her pet alligator when she wasn't doing her
erotic dancing with an alligator act.

Owain