Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External hard drives...

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:44, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
______ USB __ USB ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of smart
backup software with compression?

You would be better off with one drive inside the PC on a properly fast
SATA interface. USB3 drives can muster a fair bit of speed but if the
drive is stuck on a USB2 port then it will be throttled back.

Sounds like it is on USB2 and the controller isn't the greatest. It
could also be that the new drive doesn't have the optimum format for
fastest possible operation. I see that a lot with USB drives.

You often cannot obtain their published speed with the backwards
compatible format that they are typically shipped with.

Fast solid state 256GB USB thumbnail drives are now cheap enough to use
for backups on a grandfather, father, son basis.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
Â*______Â*Â*Â*Â* USBÂ* __Â* USBÂ* ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of smart
backup software with compression?

yes that is why I was asking if there was another quicker way od doing
it.......

You would be better off with one drive inside the PC on a properly fast
SATA interface. USB3 drives can muster a fair bit of speed but if the
drive is stuck on a USB2 port then it will be throttled back.

oh well just thought it was a good idea to have a back up back up with
everything on it about 150gb.....

Sounds like it is on USB2 and the controller isn't the greatest. It
could also be that the new drive doesn't have the optimum format for
fastest possible operation. I see that a lot with USB drives.

oh right...

You often cannot obtain their published speed with the backwards
compatible format that they are typically shipped with.

Fast solid state 256GB USB thumbnail drives are now cheap enough to use
for backups on a grandfather, father, son basis.

thanks for the help ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
Â*Â*______Â*Â*Â*Â* USBÂ* __Â* USBÂ* ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of
smart backup software with compression?

yes that is why I was asking if there was another quicker way od doing
it.......

Given the setup you are using, using something like Acronis true
image[1] will clone one drive to the other faster than you will be able
to do with a file copy. However the USB2 interface will still limit the
maximum speed.

[1] The trial version will do a drive to drive clone.

(for reference I was cloning some 120GB SSD drives onto new 256GB drives
- one drive on the internal SATA bus in the PC - the new one on a USB to
SATA adaptor. Doing it with the new drive on a USB2 interface was taking
40 mins or so, and on a USB3 interface about 8 mins)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
______ USB __ USB ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

not without buying some special software, no

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:45, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives
together like a phone...?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives
together like a phone...?

nope

They are both slave devices and they do not have the capabilities to be be
an OTG Master

Disclaimer. I do know that we're not supposed to use the terms Master and
Slave any more, but **** knows what the alternative names are

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives
together like a phone...?

Yes, it's called a cloning dock.

A guy in the Win10 group owns one.

It will do a disk to disk transfer all by itself.
But, it transfers every stinking sector, so it'll take a while.

That's as close to banging the drives together as you can get :-)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B00KT3BEAS

# Unfortunately, not a full manual. I suspect it can be used to
# USB-communicate with one drive, all of the time. So it can be
# used as an ordinary dock all the time. The plastic inserts come out,
# so the unit supports both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. You can clone a 2.5"
# to a 3.5" if you want.

https://sgcdn.startech.com/005329/me...k2reu3_qsg.pdf

Notice there are Source and Destination slots. Don't mix those up!
Or your good data gets erased.

Only buy a product that comes with a step-by-step manual
for every stinking mode! The above manual isn't good enough.

There are other brands out there. Look for the manual!

Things that erase hard drives, should come with a manual!
I don't want to hear stories about how all your tax data
got lost or whatever.

I don't own one of these. Too risky.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message ...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another to back it
up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half hours is this
correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.

Which you're presumably not.

When you simply copy the files, the computer first has to find each file
which may be stored in fragments all over the place. Which takes time.
With a cloning or imaging program it just starts at the beginning and
transfers the contents of the disk literally bit by bit. Having first
worked out how much date is actually on the disk and if there's
sufficient room on the destination disk,
This will always make it faster whatever interface you're using. Unless
you've only ever had just one big file on the disk at least.
If you only do this occasionally worrying about the interface is probably
a waste of money.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 19:34, michael adams wrote:
"GB" wrote in message ...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another to back it
up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half hours is this
correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.

Which you're presumably not.

that is what I was hoping somebody would tell me was available.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
"GB" wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it
up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a
half hours is this
correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.
Which you're presumably not.

that is what I was hoping somebody would tell me was available.....

I've used several free cloning programs (including Acronis and
EasUS), but my favourite is AOMEI Partition Assistant.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but when you do a simple
disk-to-disk copy you can run into trouble if some of the file names
(full path) are too long. Cloning does a bit-by-bit copy, and doesn't
suffer from this.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Jim GM4DHJ ...
writes
"GB" wrote in message ...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another to back
it
up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half hours is this
correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?
Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.
Which you're presumably not.

that is what I was hoping somebody would tell me was available.....

I've used Ghost since it first came out on floppy and have been
loyal to it ever since despite changes of ownership buying newer
versions as and when required. According to critics its been
superceded so I'll leave the floor to others.

I've used several free cloning programs (including Acronis and
EasUS), but my favourite is AOMEI Partition Assistant.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but when you do a simple disk-to-disk copy you
can run into trouble if some of the file names (full path) are too long. Cloning does a
bit-by-bit copy, and doesn't suffer from this.

Another advantage of cloning is that it copied the boot sector
which in the past at least copying couldn't do. Maybe that's the
one advantage of Windows 10 that I'm sorely missing out on.

michael adams

Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it
up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and a half
hours is this
correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.

Which you're presumably not.

that is what I was hoping somebody would tell me was available.....

Sorry I may have misled you. Basically when you do a file copy,
as I said, it copies it file by file; basically its defragmenting
the files as it goes. Which takes ages but actually has the advantage
that the copy is defragmented.

Having re-read your post, three and a half hours for a 1tb disk is
nothing !

I didn't notice this before, but at a guess the disk is only a quarter
or a third full ?

In which case, cloning would probably br little faster as you'd be cloning
650MB of empty disk to little purpose. While you'd have a defragmented
copy assuming you'd ever erased anything on the original.

Turnip will be along shortly to explain why defragementing discs nowadays is
largely irrelevant. But you may as well anyway, when you have the chance.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael adams
writes

When you simply copy the files, the computer first has to find each file
which may be stored in fragments all over the place. Which takes time.
With a cloning or imaging program it just starts at the beginning and
transfers the contents of the disk literally bit by bit.

That is so bleedin' obvious when you read it, but hadn't occurred to me.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/11/2020 08:52, Graeme wrote:
In message , michael adams
writes

When you simply copy the files, the computer first has to find each file
which may be stored in fragments all over the place. Which takes time.
With a cloning or imaging program it just starts at the beginning and
transfers the contents of the disk literally bit by bit.

That is so bleedin' obvious when you read it, but hadn't occurred to me.

Its so bleedin obvious that it is a shame it is almost irrelevant.

In the case of USB external disks being backed up from SATA internal
drives, we have SATA transfer speeds of 150MB/s to 600MB/s (thats BYTES,
not bits) from version 1, 2 and Express versus transfer speeds of 1, 60,
and 500 MB/s for USB 1, 2, and 3.

That is only exceeded by USB4 and later.

With SATA drive data speeds of around 150MB/s we can easily see that
whilst the disk is the bottleneck, in internal apps, in external drives
unless USB3 is in play it's the USB part.

With any operating system that caches its disks, it will have done all
its seeking long before it smacks the drive with the data, and enough
nous to sort the data before it sends it.

That is what operating systems do.

The short answer is that USB drives are mostly slow because they are USB.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 20:34, michael adams wrote:
Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.

This is only a good idea if the partitions are almost full
and de-fragmented.
Cloning 2 brand new empty disks takes a lot of time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

bilou wrote:
On 06/11/2020 20:34, michael adams wrote:
Use a "cloning" or "imaging" program.

This is only a good idea if the partitions are almost full
and de-fragmented.
Cloning 2 brand new empty disks takes a lot of time.

Cloning only copies the occupied clusters on NTFS.
If you have 1GB of files on a 1TB disk, it takes
no time at all to clone.

Cloning is not limited to "dd" transfers. Macrium
uses "smart" transfer to only copy the occupied
clusters. Virtually all the other 20+ programs for
Windows do the same thing. It's harder to find
a working "dumb" transfer method. You have to
use "dd.exe" to do that.

https://i.postimg.cc/bJtXcnn2/test-file.gif

Backup time - 5min 50sec
Clone time - 7min 35sec
Copy - 18.7MB/Sec estimated 24 minutes

In this case, the transfer of a fragmented file,
copying is three times slower.

I could demonstrate a similar thing with small
files, as I have a disk image around somewhere with
a million files on it for testing.

Cloning can be faster, if done right. Because
the clusters identified for transfer, are
transferred in numerical order. Cluster 0,
Cluster 5, Cluster 6, and so on.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Paul
writes

Cloning only copies the occupied clusters on NTFS.
If you have 1GB of files on a 1TB disk, it takes
no time at all to clone.

It possibly depends on the cloning program. I'm sure that at least one
of those that I've tried gave the option of copying only the occupied
clusters, or copying the lot even when empty.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

But you haven't been truthful with us.

You're doing file-by-file transfer, and you neglected
to tell us how many gigabytes of files you're transferring.

It takes lees time to transfer 100GB files on a 1TB source
drive, then it does to transfer 300GB files on a 1TB source drive.

It's unlikely the drive is chock full. But... you tell us.

My suspicion is, either the PC port is USB2, or the disk
drive adapter card inside the enclosure is USB2,
and USB2 does around 35MB/sec.

35MB/sec * 12600 seconds = 441000MB =~ 441GB, source drive half full.

If you tell us the quantity of files, we can apply
arithmetic to determine how your rate is capped.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

I assumed that USB2 is involved somewhere, but why should we guess if
the OP can't be bothered to supply the information, even when prompted
to do so?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:58, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I assumed that USB2 is involved somewhere, but why should we guess if
the OP can't be bothered to supply the information, even when prompted
to do so?

I have just got both drives plugged into two of the four usb sockets on
the front of the HP desktop.....no idea if the are usb2 or not.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:58, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

you've got a very high spec machine if all sockets are USB3, on my machines
only one of the sockets is USB3 and the others USB2

A completely useless setup for doing the transfer you are doing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

could you not have just used your imagination ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

File Explorer, look on the left for all the partitions
to be listed.

Right-click the external drive partition. Do Properties.

There will be a pie icon, a circle with pie shaped percentages.
That will tell you what part of the storage is used, what
part is free. The design of the display and the graphic
used, varies from one version of Windows to the next. This is
just a quick pic to show you what the concept looks like.

https://i.postimg.cc/prjTpRq6/used-space.gif

That's where we go to get the "441GB" number I'm looking for.

Since it's pretty obvious your front ports are USB2, I'm
guessing the drive is roughly half-full of files, and everything
works "as expected". Capped by the 35MB/sec USB2 rate.

You can purchase USB3 plugin cards, for desktops. Both
my computers here have such cards added. One card
runs ~400MB/sec, the other one is supposed to go
twice as fast, but I have nothing to test the second
card. I run SSDs off those ports occasionally. The
computer buses are a letdown for the add-in cards,
and you don't get the full rate when testing. Always
a bit on the low side for the addon cards.

But plenty fast enough for spinning hard drives. I'd
transfer your files in about 1/3rd of the time, with
the add-on cards.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 19:29, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Â*Â* https://i.postimg.cc/prjTpRq6/used-space.gif

That's where we go to get the "441GB" number I'm looking for.

Since it's pretty obvious your front ports are USB2, I'm
guessing the drive is roughly half-full of files, and everything
works "as expected". Capped by the 35MB/sec USB2 rate.

You can purchase USB3 plugin cards, for desktops. Both
my computers here have such cards added. One card
runs ~400MB/sec, the other one is supposed to go
twice as fast, but I have nothing to test the second
card. I run SSDs off those ports occasionally. The
computer buses are a letdown for the add-in cards,
and you don't get the full rate when testing. Always
a bit on the low side for the addon cards.

But plenty fast enough for spinning hard drives. I'd
transfer your files in about 1/3rd of the time, with
the add-on cards.

Â*Â* Paul

no idea what you are talking about....sorry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

https://i.postimg.cc/prjTpRq6/used-space.gif

no idea what you are talking about....sorry

Jimbo mon, look at the ****ing picture. Humor me.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I bought a new western digital 2tb, and let Windows back up handle it
every sunday morning. The first back up takes an age as its a complete image
of the machine, but the following ones can take as little as 6 minutes, and
no more than 30.

This also zips things up to save space as well.
It is powered from the usb its plugged into and very quiet. Its one of
their Elements range. I set it up as drive R and made it a fixed letter just
to be on the safe side.
Of coursw there are third party back up software about, but none of them
are accessible as they tend to do the back up not actually in Windows, but
in their own cut down OS.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Paul" wrote in message
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
Of coursw there are third party back up software about, but none of them are accessible
as they tend to do the back up not actually in Windows, but in their own cut down OS.
Brian

The reason for that is if the primary drive fails for whatever
reason, then Windows is toast as well. Before Ghost became bloated
with extra features the OS and program would easily fit on a floppy
and could be booted from the floppy as well. Of necessity. Nowadays
it will be a USB thumb drive.

If you have a clone then no problem its just swapped in as a replacement.
But if you have an image on a second disk, which is preferable as it takes
up less space and doesn't monopolise a whole disk, then that can be
reinstalled on a new disc in the primary drive slot from the second disk
in drive 2 using the program. Having booted from the USB thumb drive.
So no need for Windows at that stage. Windows should reappear, hopefully,
once the transfer is complete and yoiu restart the machine.

I'm not sure how Windows would handle an image reinstall in those
circumstances.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"michael adams" wrote in message

[...]

Showing my age again. The image could of course also be reinstalled from
a disk in an external hard drive.

I'm not sure how Windows would handle an image reinstall in those
circumstances.

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

The time wouldn't be unreasonable but often the time is an initial
estimate by the back-up software and the estimate may reduce
dramatically later on during the backup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 14:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another
to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and
a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

ha ha

I bought a 1TB usb pen drive like this once which I was sure was a con
and it was.......sent it back when it .....computer engineers are
thieving *******s arne't they.....e
Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

ha ha

I bought a 1TB usb pen drive like this once which I was sure was a con and
it was.......sent it back when it .....computer engineers are thieving
*******s arne't they.....e

what has a crooked sales outlet got to do with computer engineers?