Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default External hard drives...

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:45, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives
together like a phone...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

But you haven't been truthful with us.

You're doing file-by-file transfer, and you neglected
to tell us how many gigabytes of files you're transferring.

It takes lees time to transfer 100GB files on a 1TB source
drive, then it does to transfer 300GB files on a 1TB source drive.

It's unlikely the drive is chock full. But... you tell us.

My suspicion is, either the PC port is USB2, or the disk
drive adapter card inside the enclosure is USB2,
and USB2 does around 35MB/sec.

35MB/sec * 12600 seconds = 441000MB =~ 441GB, source drive half full.

If you tell us the quantity of files, we can apply
arithmetic to determine how your rate is capped.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* Paul

I assumed that USB2 is involved somewhere, but why should we guess if
the OP can't be bothered to supply the information, even when prompted
to do so?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:44, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
______ USB __ USB ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of smart
backup software with compression?

You would be better off with one drive inside the PC on a properly fast
SATA interface. USB3 drives can muster a fair bit of speed but if the
drive is stuck on a USB2 port then it will be throttled back.

Sounds like it is on USB2 and the controller isn't the greatest. It
could also be that the new drive doesn't have the optimum format for
fastest possible operation. I see that a lot with USB drives.

You often cannot obtain their published speed with the backwards
compatible format that they are typically shipped with.

Fast solid state 256GB USB thumbnail drives are now cheap enough to use
for backups on a grandfather, father, son basis.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

The time wouldn't be unreasonable but often the time is an initial
estimate by the back-up software and the estimate may reduce
dramatically later on during the backup.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

--
Cheers
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

Connected via USB presumably, but which version? (Blue insert on the
socket = USB3)

or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

there might be, depending on the answers to the above, and how much
complexity you are happy with.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
Â*______Â*Â*Â*Â* USBÂ* __Â* USBÂ* ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of smart
backup software with compression?

yes that is why I was asking if there was another quicker way od doing
it.......

You would be better off with one drive inside the PC on a properly fast
SATA interface. USB3 drives can muster a fair bit of speed but if the
drive is stuck on a USB2 port then it will be throttled back.

oh well just thought it was a good idea to have a back up back up with
everything on it about 150gb.....

Sounds like it is on USB2 and the controller isn't the greatest. It
could also be that the new drive doesn't have the optimum format for
fastest possible operation. I see that a lot with USB drives.

oh right...

You often cannot obtain their published speed with the backwards
compatible format that they are typically shipped with.

Fast solid state 256GB USB thumbnail drives are now cheap enough to use
for backups on a grandfather, father, son basis.

thanks for the help ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

could you not have just used your imagination ? ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:58, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â* Paul

I assumed that USB2 is involved somewhere, but why should we guess if
the OP can't be bothered to supply the information, even when prompted
to do so?

I have just got both drives plugged into two of the four usb sockets on
the front of the HP desktop.....no idea if the are usb2 or not.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 14:12, John Rumm wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

Connected via USB presumably, but which version? (Blue insert on the
socket = USB3)

or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

there might be, depending on the answers to the above, and how much
complexity you are happy with.

stuff complexity that is for profession big heads I hate computers and
they either work or they don't I don't care but I never let the *******s
beat me,,,,,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 14:29, Tim Streater wrote:
On 06 Nov 2020 at 12:22:43 GMT, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

usual professional computer engineer attitude.....

Is this just a drag/drop copy? How much stuff are you copying? Are you using a
backup program to do this? What sort of ports are the two drives connected
to?

And so on.

who cares

You remind me of this geezer at CERN who used some software I wrote. He'd put
his head round the door and say "It doesn't work". My reaction was to adopt a
look of extreme concern and say "Oh DEAR! Your poor wife - have you been to
the Doctor about it?"

good fun isn't it I used to do that when I worked in Building
control....great fun taking the **** out of lower non professional
mortals isn't it....so **** off...tee hee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

you get a lot of that attitude in amateur radio as well....bunch of
professionals that like to lord it over the true hobbyist.....makes them
feel better ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 14:24, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Clive Arthur" wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another
to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and
a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

ha ha

I bought a 1TB usb pen drive like this once which I was sure was a con
and it was.......sent it back when it .....computer engineers are
thieving *******s arne't they.....e
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

insulting me doesn't work as I hate and have no intrest in then .....

That's not an insult. You'll know when I'm insulting you.

oh gooy....but is there not some other way like banging the drives
together like a phone...?

nope

They are both slave devices and they do not have the capabilities to be be
an OTG Master

Disclaimer. I do know that we're not supposed to use the terms Master and
Slave any more, but **** knows what the alternative names are

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
On 06/11/2020 12:58, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:54, Paul wrote:
Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

you've got a very high spec machine if all sockets are USB3, on my machines
only one of the sockets is USB3 and the others USB2

A completely useless setup for doing the transfer you are doing

Posted to uk.d-i-y

?

The time is reasonable for two 1TB USB drives via a PC. However, when I
did just this recently, it stopped after 250GB when the supposed 1TB
destination disk was full, even though it reported as 1TB.

The lying cheating *******s did refund, after a little effort. I guess
that unless you're using it as I was to backup a nearly full disk, you
might not notice for a long time.

ha ha

I bought a 1TB usb pen drive like this once which I was sure was a con and
it was.......sent it back when it .....computer engineers are thieving
*******s arne't they.....e

what has a crooked sales outlet got to do with computer engineers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another
to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and
a half hours is this correct

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

As per a previous discussion on the subject (that I started), it seems that
1tB SSDs devices are virtually unobtainable in the consumer space

It is vanishingly unlikley that Mr Numpty has just bought a new one, let
alone already historically owned one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought another
to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take three and
a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

Is this just a drag/drop copy?

why should whether you dragged it or not, make any difference to a
disk-to-disk copy. It only makes any difference for a directory to
directory copy on the same disk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 15:19, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

As per a previous discussion on the subject (that I started), it seems
that 1tB SSDs devices are virtually unobtainable in the consumer space

Well no, they are fairly common now

It is vanishingly unlikley that Mr Numpty has just bought a new one, let
alone already historically owned one

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 15:19, tim... wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct

might be

What quantity of data?

What kind of external drive? (spinning rust, or SSD)

As per a previous discussion on the subject (that I started), it seems
that 1tB SSDs devices are virtually unobtainable in the consumer space

1TB Thumb drives are typically not yet available, but proper external
2.5" drive caddies with 1TB SSDs is are fairly easy to get.

It is vanishingly unlikley that Mr Numpty has just bought a new one, let
alone already historically owned one

Well quite, but it only seems fair to ask, since the chances of him
actually volunteering any useful information are slim!

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

usual professional computer engineer attitude.....

ok, answer this:

Google maps tells me its going to take 3 hours to get to the office, is
that right?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 15:12, tim... wrote:

Disclaimer.Â* I do know that we're not supposed to use the terms Master
and Slave any more,

Hard drive lives matter!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

If you're doing a reglar, automatic, backup then the speed doesn't matter
particularly. And if it's set up to do incremental backups, then each one
takes very little time.

Proper computers come with that sort of software as standard.

my computers are road kill...I have been told...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 15:12, tim... wrote:

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
[...]

be wurser if it was black slave and white master.....tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way
of transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

Is this just a drag/drop copy?

why should whether you dragged it or not, make any difference to a
disk-to-disk copy.

Because you incur significant overhead on file creation - especially
with lots of small files, when compared to say a disk clone style copy.

Also windows will also spend sometimes significant amounts of time
enumerating the directory tree you are copying so that it can give you a
progress dialogue with an estimate of total time - so that slower than
doing robocopy from the command line for example.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 12:41, GB wrote:
On 06/11/2020 12:22, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will
take three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker
way of transferring ?

Don't you just hate it when people give so many details of their
computer setup, the types of drive, how they are connected, etc?

it is transferring at 12mb/s

So you have :
Â*Â*______Â*Â*Â*Â* USBÂ* __Â* USBÂ* ______
|Drive1|-----|PC|-----|Drive2|

yes...is there any other way ? ....

And are doing a naive physical file copy rather than some sort of
smart backup software with compression?

yes that is why I was asking if there was another quicker way od doing
it.......

Given the setup you are using, using something like Acronis true
image[1] will clone one drive to the other faster than you will be able
to do with a file copy. However the USB2 interface will still limit the
maximum speed.

[1] The trial version will do a drive to drive clone.

(for reference I was cloning some 120GB SSD drives onto new 256GB drives
- one drive on the internal SATA bus in the PC - the new one on a USB to
SATA adaptor. Doing it with the new drive on a USB2 interface was taking
40 mins or so, and on a USB3 interface about 8 mins)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 15:16, tim... wrote:

what has a crooked sales outlet got to do with computer engineers?

They have to be fairly sophisticated and computer literate to get the
drives to misreport their size? TBH, I've never tried. Perhaps it's easy?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 06/11/2020 14:43, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

stuff complexity that is for profession big heads I hate computers and
they either work or they don't I don't care but I never let the *******s
beat me,,,,,

Just bang the drives together really hard. That'll learn them.

You were clearly bored and asking a question for attention, rather than
because you wanted the answer.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at
you.

usual professional computer engineer attitude.....

ok, answer this:

Google maps tells me its going to take 3 hours to get to the office, is
that right?

It's clearly not fair, and you should write to Boris to do something
about it. Plus, move closer to your office. That commute must be
killing you.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

Unless you give us some ****ing DETAILS we'll just watch and larf at you.

Is this just a drag/drop copy? How much stuff are you copying? Are you using a
backup program to do this? What sort of ports are the two drives connected
to?

And so on.

You remind me of this geezer at CERN who used some software I wrote. He'd put
his head round the door and say "It doesn't work". My reaction was to adopt a
look of extreme concern and say "Oh DEAR! Your poor wife - have you been to
the Doctor about it?"

Wasn't Tim Berners-Lee was it ?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/11/2020 16:49, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

I have all my stuff on a 1tb external drive....yesterday I bought
another to back it up...doing it at the moment and it says it will take
three and a half hours is this correct or is there a quicker way of
transferring ?

If you're doing a reglar, automatic, backup then the speed doesn't matter
particularly. And if it's set up to do incremental backups, then each one
takes very little time.

Proper computers come with that sort of software as standard.

my computers are road kill...I have been told...

Fine. But don't come whining to us about it.

yes it was a waste of time...