Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Sonoff - dangerous?

I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips,
and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all individually
switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by Sonoff wifi
switches, controlled by Alexa. Saying "Alexa kitchen on" actually does
what it says on the tin.

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Should I just return them as unsafe? If I do, does anyone have
recommendations for some switches that are a bit better made?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/10/2020 23:24, GB wrote:
I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips,
and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all individually
switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by Sonoff wifi
switches, controlled by Alexa. Saying "Alexa kitchen on" actually does
what it says on the tin.

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Should I just return them as unsafe?Â* If I do, does anyone have
recommendations for some switches that are a bit better made?

These ones
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WFM246Q

Only £9 each
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Should I just return them as unsafe?Â* If I do, does anyone have
recommendations for some switches that are a bit better made?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07WFM246Q

The Shelley devices seem better designed to fit inside a backbox

https://shop.shelly.cloud/shelly-1-wifi-smart-home-automation#50
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/10/2020 23:24, GB wrote:
I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips,
and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all individually
switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by Sonoff wifi
switches, controlled by Alexa. Saying "Alexa kitchen on" actually does
what it says on the tin.

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Cable ties or tape?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 29 October 2020 23:24:57 UTC, GB wrote:
I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips,
and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all individually
switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by Sonoff wifi
switches, controlled by Alexa. Saying "Alexa kitchen on" actually does
what it says on the tin.

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Should I just return them as unsafe? If I do, does anyone have
recommendations for some switches that are a bit better made?

Isn't it so often the case that companies which have chosen names which are easily confused with major brands are questionable?

I suspect that in a phone call, or using voice recognition, the difference from "Sonos" is next to nothing. All intentional, of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Should I just return them as unsafe? If I do, does anyone have
recommendations for some switches that are a bit better made?

I think these are made for a global market which largely has lower expectations
of electrical safety. However I recently installed some Ikea lights that
have a similar kind of arrangement (clip on plastic cover with lever
terminals inside) and it looks OK to me - it would be hard to accidentally
come into contact with mains.

Are the switches going to be situated somewhere where the cover falling off
might result in someone touching the terminals? For example, if the switch
was mounted on top of a kitchen cupboard it seems unlikely that unsuspecting
fingers would get into it. If this is a real risk, you could mount it
inside a secondary enclosure (eg a surface pattress).
You can also get enclosures suitable for them:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quality-I...e/353210911659

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 30/10/2020 09:27, Robin wrote:
On 29/10/2020 23:24, GB wrote:
I've replaced the lights under our kitchen cupboards with LED strips,
and I'm stupidly pleased with myself. The old ones were all
individually switched, which was a faff. The new ones are switched by
Sonoff wifi switches, controlled by Alexa. Saying "Alexa kitchen on"
actually does what it says on the tin.

These Sonoff switches are tiny, and the terminals are stupidly small.
I'm more concerned, though, that the whole thing has a clip on plastic
cover. If this falls off, the terminals are exposed.

Cable ties or tape?

Thank you. That's clearly the right solution. I've stopped whingeing and
superglued the covers on.

Most dangerous tool in shop Sweet Sawdust Woodworking 137 February 11th 15 04:44 PM
dangerous chimney? JK UK diy 7 June 19th 04 02:30 PM
Humor: Dangerous Cocobolo! Bob Davis Woodworking 26 April 3rd 04 01:11 AM
Fwd: Dangerous way of getting 220V from 110V outlets jim rozen Metalworking 43 October 29th 03 11:40 PM
Suggested safety material for the "Most dangerous tool in shop" Walter H. Klaus Woodworking 3 August 28th 03 12:23 PM