Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HSS BSW taps - source?

Apologies for starting a thread that's related to DIY, rather than
another OT thread of the sort which increasingly appear here ...

I've just broken my last 3/16 BSW taper tap so need to get a couple
more. From experience there's a lot of junk out there, and the dormer
brand is too expensive. Can anyone recommend a source of good quality
HSS taps at a sensible price?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2020 22:30, AJH wrote:
On 22/10/2020 21:57, wrote:
Apologies for starting a thread that's related to DIY, rather than
another OT thread of the sort which increasingly appear here ...

I've just broken my last 3/16 BSW taper tap so need to get a couple
more. From experience there's a lot of junk out there, and the dormer
brand is too expensive. Can anyone recommend a source of good quality
HSS taps at a sensible price?

It's a very long time since I bought a sigle tap but then I used Tracy
tools.

Also a quick search shows

https://tap-die.com

show some 3/16 BSW

BTW what is Whitform I see mentioned on the Tracy site?

Thanks, but there's no shortage of people selling taps and dies. I'm
trying to find something between cheap taps made from chineseium and
something that costs £40.
I'd forgotten about Tracy Tools and they used to have an excellent
reputation - in the absence of other recommendations I'll give them a go.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 22/10/2020 22:30, AJH wrote:
On 22/10/2020 21:57, wrote:
[...]

I'd say the best way is to buy from a firm with a decent reputation. The
majority likely do come from the far east - and with all that sort of
stuff ranges in quality from rubbish to excellent.

--
*Why were the Indians here first? They had reservations.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

BSW and UNC thread identification Old guy[_2_] Metalworking 0 August 4th 17 02:18 PM
UNC & BSW interchangeable? Peter Taylor[_3_] UK diy 21 June 14th 14 10:44 AM
7/32" BSW screw asalcedo UK diy 0 August 16th 13 04:21 PM
Need a couple of BSW bolts Mark F Metalworking 5 January 22nd 08 10:28 AM
Naming drill bits (HSS, HSS-E, HSS G, ...) Nick Müller Metalworking 0 March 14th 06 09:42 PM