Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Naming drill bits (HSS, HSS-E, HSS G, ...)

Hi,

I have a discussion about propperly naming drills: their manufacturing
method and the alloy.

We have (that is enough) HSS and HSS-E.
That is the right abbrevation to my knowledge.
If the drill is coated, it is (say) HSS-TiN. A HSS-E coated should be
HSS-E-TiN. Right?
Now, there are drills that are ground or that are roll forged. They are
named "G" or "R".
The point is now: Does the G or R to be appended with a "-" or not?
I say: HSS G
Others say: HSS-G.

Another example:
HSS-E G
Or HSS-E-G

In my eyes, modifications to the alloy are appended with a "-", the rest
is put behind with a blank in between.

Does anybody _know_ this? Have a standard at hand (better: a link)?
I googled and at least found no manufacturer who used "HSS-G", but just
dealers.

Thanks,
Nick
--