Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Geothermal energy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLo0-lwK1k
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 13:23, Chris Hogg wrote:

Been talked about for several decades. The Rosemanowes 'hot rocks'
project in Cornwall in the 1970's was one such.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemanowes_Quarry
Never came to anything, even though it was said the be the site in the
UK with the highest heat flow in England at 120 milliwatts per square
metre (which sounds rather small to me; if correct, perhaps it's not
surprising nothing came of it).

snipped

Small scale use here...

https://jubileepool.co.uk/pool-info/geothermal/

--
Cheers
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 13:23, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 04:51:34 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLo0-lwK1k

But Iceland's total
geothermal capacity is only 750MW, so they don't make much use of it
themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothe...wer_in_Iceland

They make a lot of use of it for heating and presumably don't use it
more for electricity generation because they have even cheaper hydro
power, pretty much everyone's favourite renewable.

I don't think it is an indication of how much power they could generate
economically from geothermal.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLo0-lwK1k

Been talked about for several decades. The Rosemanowes 'hot rocks'
project in Cornwall in the 1970's was one such.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemanowes_Quarry
Never came to anything, even though it was said the be the site in the
UK with the highest heat flow in England at 120 milliwatts per square
metre (which sounds rather small to me; if correct, perhaps it's not
surprising nothing came of it).

There are a few other sites across the world, but mostly you need hot
rock not too far below the surface, otherwise it becomes too expensive
to exploit. Iceland is often given as an example, and great claims
made for it and how the UK will benefit from an interconnector up to
Iceland, which seems to have gone quite. But Iceland's total
geothermal capacity is only 750MW, so they don't make much use of it
themselves. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geothe...wer_in_Iceland

CEGB were doing research on this in the 1970s from the Marchwood
Engineering Labs, on the Solent. Conveniently, this region is another
reasonable hot spot.

IIRC there turned out to be two issues, I think the main ones was that
the output would drop off significantly after ~ 50 years because you
would have cooled off such a lot of rock by then, and the other was you
lose something like half of the water that you pump down.

I think that Marchwood were also looking at wave power (who remembers
Salter's ducks?) and windmills. Prior to that they had quite a
substantial rig looking into Magnetohydrodynamics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnet...amic_generator
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2020 12:51:34, harry wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZLo0-lwK1k

Which often uses fracking type technology. I'm sure there will be even
more complaints about tremors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think this is because its bloody dangerous.
There is a lot of energy, but its very destructive energy. Have you ever
tipped a bucket of water down a bore hole on Lanzerote? Best run quick if
you try it.

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please

[...]

[...]