Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Professional Decorator

Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2020 22:20, JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

I have found that if the walls are plastered with a render which is then
in turn skimmed over with real plaster, the heat and steam from a
wallpaper stripper makes the skim plaster come off the render.

So you may find you end up having to get a plasterer in to reskim the
walls like we had to.

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

No Name wrote in
:

On 18/10/2020 22:20, JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a
good finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before
resorting to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on
plasterboarded walls is leiable to leave some damage?

I have found that if the walls are plastered with a render which is
then in turn skimmed over with real plaster, the heat and steam from a
wallpaper stripper makes the skim plaster come off the render.

So you may find you end up having to get a plasterer in to reskim the
walls like we had to.

S.

That is what I fear. The rooms I have stripped by just using soapy water
have not been damaged one little bit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , No Name
writes
On 18/10/2020 22:20, JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!
Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.
The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.
I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before
resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

I have found that if the walls are plastered with a render which is
then in turn skimmed over with real plaster, the heat and steam from a
wallpaper stripper makes the skim plaster come off the render.

So you may find you end up having to get a plasterer in to reskim the
walls like we had to.

Can you just soak it to soften the paste?
I once had a wide spatula with a serrated edge, bit like coarse saw
teeth. Scratching the surface layer of emulshioned heavy weight paper
allowed brushed on water to penetrate.

S.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote in
:

In message , No Name
writes
[...]

That is what I have done in the past. I really didn't want to be arsed to
do it myself this time. It seems daft though to pay for someone to wreck my
walls and then have to skil them. I feel some unwanted DIY coming my way. I
use soapy water usually - it soaks in well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Oct 2020 09:52:47 +0100, No Name wrote:

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a

good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before
resorting to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on
plasterboarded walls is leiable to leave some damage?

I've never had to strip wall paper from unskimmed PB, perhaps the
plasterboard paper will come off along with the wall paper?

With a pro decorator time is money. A steamy stripper is quicker but
does leave more old paste residue on the wall than manual soaking and
stripping. Could be quicker and gurantees a good surface to whack on
some lining paper rather than cleaning down the wall and waiting for
it to dry before painting.

I have found that if the walls are plastered with a render which is then
in turn skimmed over with real plaster, the heat and steam from a
wallpaper stripper makes the skim plaster come off the render.

Never had that problem, at least not on sound walls. A steamy
stripper with "prickle roller" is far quicker and less effort than
manual soaking and scrapping. I'd say things a generally drier as
well, but the RH in the room will approach 100% if you don't open the
windows.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"JohnP" wrote in message
. ..
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

are you concerned that the proposed solution costs more

or is it that you don't like the finish it will give?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

If the plasterboard hasn't been skimmed - like on many cheap modern houses
- good luck getting wallpaper off without damage to the walls.

--
*CAN VEGETARIANS EAT ANIMAL CRACKERS?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

Son moved into a house which has been badly refurbished some rooms have
walls lined with plaster board and wall papered badly. The tried a steam
stripper and the paper on the plaster board lifted. A right mess. In the
end he took the lot down and did it properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

or is it that you don't like the finish it will give?

I don't want to pay someone to wreck the good skimmed walls that have
withstood my DIY effors fo 30 years. Adding lining paper will merely be
something that could lift or bubble in the future.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a
good finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before
resorting to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on
plasterboarded walls is leiable to leave some damage?

If the plasterboard hasn't been skimmed - like on many cheap modern
houses - good luck getting wallpaper off without damage to the walls.

My walls are skimmed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2020 11:07, Radio Man wrote:
JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

Son moved into a house which has been badly refurbished some rooms have
walls lined with plaster board and wall papered badly. The tried a steam
stripper and the paper on the plaster board lifted. A right mess. In the
end he took the lot down and did it properly.

you mean one of your three daughters brian ? .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:

or is it that you don't like the finish it will give?

I don't want to pay someone to wreck the good skimmed walls that have
withstood my DIY effors fo 30 years. Adding lining paper will merely be
something that could lift or bubble in the future.

Cross lining with a decent linen backed lining paper is the ages old way
of getting a good job for a painted wall.

Painting direct to plaster may not be successful - salts etc can come
through much later.

--
*Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a
good finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before
resorting to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on
plasterboarded walls is leiable to leave some damage?

If the plasterboard hasn't been skimmed - like on many cheap modern
houses - good luck getting wallpaper off without damage to the walls.

My walls are skimmed.

In which case existing paper should come off easily enough.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 18/10/2020 22:20, JohnP wrote:
Decided I may get someone in!

Lounge neede the paper stripping and we want it painting.

The bloke who quoted said he would want to use lining paper before
painting.(Wallrock). I aksed why and he said that it was to give a good
finish - especially after removing paper.

I showed him a couple of rooms where I had papered twice before resorting
to emulsion. Could it be that using a steamer on plasterboarded walls is
leiable to leave some damage?

I have found that if the walls are plastered with a render which is then
in turn skimmed over with real plaster, the heat and steam from a
wallpaper stripper makes the skim plaster come off the render.

So you may find you end up having to get a plasterer in to reskim the
walls like we had to.

S.

Yes, exactly that here on old victorian house. Chucked the steam
stripper out and used a garden sprayer with warm water and washing up
liquid. Give it a good soak, maybe more than once and the old
wallpaper almost falls off.
Lining paper avoids having to clean all the old paste off the wall,
and gives a good base for painting.

Decorator's Caulk TheScullster UK diy 2 November 27th 09 06:59 PM
Decorator's Caulk Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 March 1st 09 06:16 PM
Decorator's Caulk Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 16 November 2nd 08 08:49 PM
The Budget Decorator's Paper Bag Floor trav Home Repair 1 September 21st 07 04:59 AM
RECOMMENDATION: decorator/tiler in Edinburgh Reestit Mutton UK diy 1 October 28th 03 01:34 AM