Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where has all the Flu vaccine gone?

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 20:34, Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

I had my flu jab weeks ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

It all happened much as usual around here (South Suffolk).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 20:54:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

It all happened much as usual around here (South Suffolk).

So, I was still considering having my (first ever, at 63) flue jab,
based on the general advice here but that feeling didn't seem to
filter though to the Mrs, who took a phone call on the land line and
hung up before I could find out who ./ what it was ...

'Oh, it something to do with the flu jab but you didn't want one did
you ...'

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

'Erm, can't we just go on a list and the doctor phone us back when he
get's round to us ... '? Apparently not ... and we've not bothered
since. ;-(

So, is the flu jab still relevant ... are they still doing it ...
assuming it hasn't all run out etc?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

You don't need to "see" a Dr to get a flu jab. Ours are done by the
parctice nurse.

So, is the flu jab still relevant ... are they still doing it ...
assuming it hasn't all run out etc?

Still relevant, still doing it, there are localised "shortages" every
year.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:06:57 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

You don't need to "see" a Dr to get a flu jab.

Sorry, that was to make an appointment for the Mrs for her shoulder
pain (potentially arthritis, had several steroid injections in them
before but the last one didn't work).

Ours are done by the
parctice nurse.

Once you have got though and made an appointment though?

So, is the flu jab still relevant ... are they still doing it ...
assuming it hasn't all run out etc?

Still relevant, still doing it, there are localised "shortages" every
year.

Ok, thanks Dave, I'll get back on the phone in the morning and see
what's on offer (for both of us).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 22:06, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

You don't need to "see" a Dr to get a flu jab. Ours are done by the
parctice nurse.

Nor do you need a call back appointment.
When I phoned my local surgery I just asked if I could have an
appointment for the flu jab. I was immediately given a date and time
by the receptionist and a mini instruction talk about how they were
operating the "isolation" system.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

"The majority of flu vaccines are manufactured using hen's eggs.
Depending on the reasons why someone has chosen to follow a vegan
diet, the flu vaccine may or may not be considered
appropriate."

Oh dear.
How sad.
Never mind.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater Wrote in message:

wrote:

[...]

Y'see this sort of thing is why I consider the likes of T r o l l to be
weirdos. Make a personal decision about eating meat? I can live with that, as
long as they don't make a song and dance about it. But then it turns out this
lot cut their noses off to spite their face. Made using hens' eggs? Oh well
forget it then.

Imagine the hypocrisy....

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

https://vegsoc.org/lifestyle/flu-vac...hat-you-need-t
o-know/

Not looking. t o o g o o d . . .
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

Why is it that doctors' receptionists think that it is acceptable to say
"phone tomorrow for an appointment" instead of saying "he can't see you
today but he can see you in two days' time"? There seems to be an aversion
to booking appointments fro any day other than the day you are phoning. You
end up phoning each day, only to be told "there are no appointments today so
you'll have to try phoning tomorrow".

When I moved to a new area and was deciding which doctors practice to use, I
asked about their appointments that they used, because I'd heard of this
system in some practices. The receptionist at one practice told me that if I
phoned on a given day, I could have an appointment that day, or if none was
available, in exactly a week's time or else exactly a fortnight's time. If I
wanted an appointment for tomorrow or the next day, I would have to phone on
the morning of that day to see if I would be "lucky". She seemed quite
offended when I said "I think I'll try an find a practice that allows me to
book for the earliest day on which there is a vacancy".

The whole point of an appointment system for arranging a meeting of any sort
is that you phone *once* and get an appointment for as soon as possible -
ideally today if it's important or else tomorrow or the day after or
whenever there is a vacancy. The concept of having to phone each day to see
"is there a vacancy today" is like some customer-unfriendly system that an
Iron Curtain country would have devised.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2020 at 23:42:10 BST, ""NY"" wrote:

[...]

I agree. But it may result because all the day's appointments plus some extra
ones (unpaid overtime) are booked on the day, and none left for pre-booking.
It is the result of a system overwhelmed because of insufficient resources.
Or possibly unreasonable, trivial and excessive demands, resulting from a
system free at the point of use and a population encouraged to see their GP
for any financial, social, emotional, educational and public service problem
they may have, because other agencies will simply not see them.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

I had mine last Saturday. At my GP surgery. Booked a couple of weeks
before - but I think they tend to get in a couple of nurses and do most
together. They used the waiting room partitioned into two, and no one
waiting inside. Very efficient, I thought. I waited in the car until the
appointment time.

--
*If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 21:53, T i m wrote:
So, I was still considering having my (first ever, at 63) flue jab,

Did the idea go up in smoke?

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:

[...]

Wifey rocked up at our local ASDA store pharmacy yesterday for a jab -
no booking, no queue, no fuss, in and out in 5 mins. £8

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Dave Liquorice formulated :
You don't need to "see" a Dr to get a flu jab. Ours are done by the
parctice nurse.

I was sent an appointment by the surgery, out of the blue. Instead of
going to the surgery, I found the local chemists were doing them and
were willing to do me without an appointment, if they had the necessary
spare when I dropped in. In fact, when I dropped in, they just had the
one spare dose, which I was able to claim. Another waiting behind me
without an appointment, was disappointed.

This was the first time I have ever had the flu jab, though I have had
invites before to make an appointment each year. I had no ill effects
at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NY formulated the question :
Why is it that doctors' receptionists think that it is acceptable to say
"phone tomorrow for an appointment" instead of saying "he can't see you today
but he can see you in two days' time"? There seems to be an aversion to
booking appointments fro any day other than the day you are phoning. You end
up phoning each day, only to be told "there are no appointments today so
you'll have to try phoning tomorrow".

Odd, I can just go online and make an appointment for any date/time for
the following month, from a range of available ones, with different
doctors and the various surgeries. Easier now, than pre C-19. If I were
to need a more urgent same day appointment, never needed one, but I can
just ring to try to get one - yes they are a little more difficult to
get, but if it is urgent I understand they will aim to fit you in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 20:34, Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

AIUI If there are local shortages, it is because they underestimated the
demand and didn't order enough.

--
Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
In article ,
Michael Chare wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

I had mine last Saturday. At my GP surgery. Booked a couple of weeks
before - but I think they tend to get in a couple of nurses and do most
together. They used the waiting room partitioned into two, and no one
waiting inside. Very efficient, I thought. I waited in the car until the
appointment time.

Our Surgery has always had 'flu jab days' when you just turned up.
The latest covid-19 aware one was similar but with a stricter 'in this
way, out that way' system.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 16 October 2020 09:09:20 UTC+1, nightjar wrote:
AIUI If there are local shortages, it is because they underestimated the
demand and didn't order enough.

Boots and Well pharmacies have both stopped *all* under-65 flue vaccine nationwide.

That's not a local shortage. Well has nearly 800 branches.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/10/2020 21:11, T i m wrote:

Sorry, that was to make an appointment for the Mrs for her shoulder
pain (potentially arthritis, had several steroid injections in them
before but the last one didn't work).

If your Mrs is that far gone with arthritis that steroid injections
aren't working, it's a very good idea to look at her diet, and consider
removing possible aggravating factors and adding natural
anti-inflammatories.

Very briefly, the foods to avoid are those of the nightshade family -
potatoes, tomatoes, etc, and the anti-inflammatories arise from omega-3
oils.

Any dietary changes can take some time to have effect, but it's a very
good idea to start a diary recording foods eaten and effects suffered -
it may well prove useful later in sorting out exactly which foods your
wife can tolerate and those that she must avoid.

Among other areas, I have a diagnosed Heberden's Node in my right thumb.
A couple of years ago my wife and I were enjoying a lunch out on a
winter's day, and her meal was accompanied by chips. They looked so good
I ate four of them, against my better judgement. For the next seven days
the pain in my thumb was at such a level that I couldn't pick up
anything with my right hand. That's the sort of effect eating the wrong
food can bring about. I'd rather go without potato products than have
steroid injections.

And tomatoes are not known as 'the evil fruit' for nothing.

Please do your own research, but the right diet for your wife may well
reduce or eliminate her suffering, and although possibly a long and
sometimes painful process, getting the diet right is a prize well worth
striving for.

--
Spike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 20:34:27 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

Here in Scotland the task has been taken away from GP surgeries and
organised by the Health Boards (to the annoyance of the GPs I
understand, who were paid for each vaccination).

According to the Herald, Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board
decided to use software for allocating appointments that was designed
for childhood vaccinations with the result that the youngest get
theirs first with the oldest, potentially most vulnerable, last:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...get-jags-last/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , NY wrote:
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

Why is it that doctors' receptionists think that it is acceptable to say
"phone tomorrow for an appointment" instead of saying "he can't see you
today but he can see you in two days' time"? There seems to be an
aversion to booking appointments fro any day other than the day you are
phoning. You end up phoning each day, only to be told "there are no
appointments today so you'll have to try phoning tomorrow".

I believe a central Government directive is to blame.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:29:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

"The majority of flu vaccines are manufactured using hen's eggs.
Depending on the reasons why someone has chosen to follow a vegan
diet, the flu vaccine may or may not be considered
appropriate."

Oh dear.
How sad.
Never mind.

Ok, before you go (further) on the list with the other ignorant prick
trolls ...

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is
possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty
to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

Very little in this world is black and white (very frustrating,
confusing and frightening for you left brainer trolls I'm sure) and
veganism is no different.

You *like* torturing, killing and exploiting animals, *just* because
how their flesh and excretions *taste*, I don't (so I don't).

https://ibb.co/JFv5yTQ

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 09:35:58 +0100, Chris Green wrote:

Our Surgery has always had 'flu jab days' when you just turned up. The
latest covid-19 aware one was similar but with a stricter 'in this way,
out that way' system

Mine do it on three or four Saturdays in October. I went to one last
Saturday. Normally you just turn up, but this time I was given an actual
time.

I walked in, used the copious hand sanitiser, and gave my name to teh
woman behind a small table surrounded by a barrier with radius 2 metres!
Sat dowm, and 30 seconds later I was called in to a room. I walked past
all the other rooms, and each had a doctor or nurse, all doing flu jabs
except for the emergency doctor.

One way system, out - done. I was clled in slightly early (I got there 5
minutes early) and was out and driving away by my appointment time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2020 21:43:50 GMT, Tim Streater
wrote:

snip

Y'see this sort of thing is why I consider the likes of T r o l l to be
weirdos.

Ah, of course the Squeaker Goblin is going to hobble up to the PC in
the asylum and put in it's backward 3dth. ... ;-(

Make a personal decision about eating meat? I can live with that,

But the victims you enslave, exploit and kill can't can they,
hypocrite.

https://ibb.co/h883FH2

as
long as they don't make a song and dance about it.

It's called 'speaking up for the voiceless'. Not something a left
brainer Goblin would understand or care about eh.

But then it turns out this
lot cut their noses off to spite their face.

It does does it, you think you actually understand the fundamental
ethic and goal behind it all do you? Bwhahahahaha!

Made using hens' eggs? Oh well
forget it then.

"Veganism is a way of living which seeks to exclude, as far as is
possible and practicable, all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty
to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose."

*Seek to exclude as far as possible and practicable ...*, how is that
worse than what you and your fellow meat eaters and animal exploiters
are doing buy supporting it all?

Gelatine from some non-vegetable source in the ice-cream?

Yup, that's why we seek out alternatives (and there are many, inc the
vegan Magnums), or go without. It's all about not putting our own
pleasure over the suffering of others.

Ooh
no, can't have that. And so on.

Or if you look at it a different (non selfish non arrogant non denial
way), there are some things we wouldn't eat (and that may not be
alternatives for) because they support animal exploitation, suffering
and death. A price I and millions of others are more than happy to
pay.

https://ibb.co/9w1dV53

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

That is odd, since I just had a call from my practice who told me they are
doing them tomorrow, did I want one, I declined so you can have mine if you
can get to Chessington. grin.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Michael Chare" wrote in message

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15 Oct 2020 at 20:34:27 BST, "Michael Chare"
wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

My (Sheffield) local surgery got stock in late September, but not offering it
to anyone non-vulnerable under 65 - 'call back in November', they say. Local
Boots private - 'service suspended, check later'.

Better just not get flu then, I think.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Bennet was thinking very hard :
Wifey rocked up at our local ASDA store pharmacy yesterday for a jab - no
booking, no queue, no fuss, in and out in 5 mins. £8

That is not universal, my local chemist only had the one spare (not
allocated) jab when I dropped in speculatively - they are a commercial
concern, so maybe down to supply variabilities.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Oct 2020 02:47:24 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 15/10/2020 21:53, T i m wrote:
So, I was still considering having my (first ever, at 63) flue jab,

Did the idea go up in smoke?

No ... just wasn't sure what the formal process was ... if there were
some lined up for us at out doctors surgery before looking to see the
best alternative.

Like, Mum had her and it was administered in the practice carpark, one
at a time in a three sided gazebo thing, that would be my ideal
solution.

My worst would be having to go *in* the surgery or our local Boots (as
it's also in a shopping centre).

I had weighed the non-vegan egg thing against the concept of the
potential of not (possibly) becoming a bigger burden on the NHS during
a pandemic (I'm sure they will develop a vegan version in the future
and of course we would go for that (even if it cost / cost more) in
the future.

*Personally*, I wouldn't bother to have it.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m Wrote in message:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:29:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

[...]

S u c k i t u p D I m
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

My (Sheffield) local surgery got stock in late September, but not
offering it to anyone non-vulnerable under 65 -

2 different vaccines

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 15/10/2020 21:53, T i m wrote:
[...]

Viruses will only grow in (suitable) cells. So in practice they are either
human or another animal. And the ethics of some human cell lines are a bit
dubious. Though not affecting vegans per se.

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

T i m wrote:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:29:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

[...]

No problem, dont have the vaccine just dont expect any medical care
either and be liable to legal action if you infect others.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
T i m Wrote in message:
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 22:29:14 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk
wrote:

snip

[...]

Did you see the report of the Butchers at Smithfield seeing off the Vegan
mob the anti social vegans ran like rats.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Thu, 15 Oct 2020 21:53:28 +0100, T i m wrote:

So, the last time I tried to phone our surgery I started at 13 in the
queue and got though about an hour later ... only to be told I'd have
to phone again the next morning as all the 'call-you-back' virtual
appointments had been taken?

You don't need to "see" a Dr to get a flu jab. Ours are done by the
parctice nurse.

So, is the flu jab still relevant ... are they still doing it ...
assuming it hasn't all run out etc?

Still relevant, still doing it, there are localised "shortages" every
year.

Plus demand is higher as the starting age has been reduced.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Roger Hayter
writes
[...]

I can remember when if you needed to see a doctor you just turned up at
the surgery, sat down and waited, but not for long.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
wrote:

On 15/10/2020 21:53, T i m wrote:
[...]

Never had one. Never had flu.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Scott
writes
wrote:

The government claims there is plenty of vaccine, but the local medical
practice has so far not agreed to vaccinate me as they usually do, and
none of the local pharmacies have any vaccine.

Here in Scotland the task has been taken away from GP surgeries and
organised by the Health Boards (to the annoyance of the GPs I
understand, who were paid for each vaccination).

According to the Herald, Greater Glasgow and Clyde Health Board
decided to use software for allocating appointments that was designed
for childhood vaccinations with the result that the youngest get
theirs first with the oldest, potentially most vulnerable, last:
https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/...nger-flu-vacci
ne-roll-out-will-see-oldest-get-jags-last/

And still they vote SNP.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/10/2020 12:56, bert wrote:
In article , Roger Hayter
writes
[...]

I agree.Â* But it may result because all the day's appointments plus
some extra
ones (unpaid overtime) are booked on the day, and none left for
pre-booking.
It is the result of a system overwhelmed because of insufficient
resources.
Or possibly unreasonable, trivial and excessive demands, resulting from a
system free at the point of use and a population encouraged to see
their GP
for any financial, social, emotional, educational and public service
problem
they may have, because other agencies will simply not see them.

I can remember when if you needed to see a doctor you just turned up at
the surgery, sat down and waited, but not for long.

I can remember when the (NHS) doctor came around to your house. As a
child, I don't recall ever going to the doctor's surgery; but I was very
rarely ill.

--
Max Demian