Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grease - lubricant for aluminium

This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an
extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel
joint.

So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find any graphite grease
locally but see that Screwfix does a Molyslip type grease.

What would be best?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 00:13:03 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an
extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel
joint.

So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find any graphite grease
locally but see that Screwfix does a Molyslip type grease.

What would be best?

Whatever you use, just a thin smear. I used too much grease on an acme
thread of about 1" dia. and it locked up. Eventually got it apart, removed
almost all of the grease and it was then OK.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2020 09:50, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 8 Oct 2020 00:13:03 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an
extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel
joint.

So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find any graphite grease
locally but see that Screwfix does a Molyslip type grease.

What would be best?

Whatever you use, just a thin smear. I used too much grease on an acme
thread of about 1" dia. and it locked up. Eventually got it apart, removed
almost all of the grease and it was then OK.

I don't normally worry about lubricating aluminium for external use.
Maybe a spray of WD40 occasionally if it feels sticky. You could use a
silicone spray if you are anti-WD40.

The downside with greases is that they will attract dirt and collect
wear debris.

Excess Moly grease will stain clothing, PTFE greases less so. SF and TS
and others do sprays of "white grease" which I find quite effective in
this sort of "light duty" application.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 08 Oct 2020 10:10:06 +0100, newshound wrote:

[...]

I have a WD40 silicon spray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/10/2020 00:13:03, Fredxx wrote:
This will be external use where one I have one telescopic style of an
extension piece, where one box section slides in another, and a swivel
joint.

So far I was thinking of PTFE grease. I can't find any graphite grease
locally but see that Screwfix does a Molyslip type grease.

What would be best?

Many thanks, I hadn't thought of silicone spray.

In the end I got:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...ay-200ml/6699x

Given it should be water repellent and non-staining it seems an ideal
candidate.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* https://www.screwfix.com/p/flomasta-...ay-200ml/6699x

Given it should be water repellent and non-staining it seems an ideal
candidate.

I do find silicone sprays useful especially for rubbers and plastics. I
have the impression that some are a bit more "lasting" than others but I
have never done a proper scientific test. Before they were commonplace
some people used to use the silicon furniture polish sprays for curtain
tracks, etc.