John Doe

Default Rotary tool (Dremel) flex-shaft lubricant?

I just got a heavy duty rotary tool plus a flex-shaft.

Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool (Dremel) flex-
shaft lubricant?

I noticed at first the spring rattled a little in the shaft, I guess (as
they say) the lubricant has to spread around the area before providing
enough slippage.

They say to use little lubricant or the device will overheat.

Thanks in advance.

Leo Lichtman

John Doe wrote: Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool
(Dremel) flex- shaft lubricant?
^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is not directly in response to your question, but I hope it saves you,
or others, a lot of grief. I was using a Wecheer flex shaft carving
attachment on my Dremel, when it started to make an odd noise. It was still
working, and I wanted to get the job done, so I continued to use it, and the
drive shaft broke. (It's made just like a Dremel flex shaft.) I pulled the
broken end out, but there is no way to get the other half out. The shaft
(and Dremel is the same), is closed at the business end. When the shaft
breaks, the strands flare out and catch the housing, and there is no way to
pull it out.

Fortunately, the thing was under warranty, and I got a brand new one, but I
started making phone calls, asking you are supposed to replace the broken
drive core. Dremel just told me to send it in for repair. Wecheer told me
nothing useful.

My advice: inspect the drive core frequently, keep it lubricated, and
always replace it if you even think it MIGHT break. Also, always keep the
flex shaft as straight as possible when running it, and NEVER bend it to a
tight radius when using it.

Hope this helps.

John Manders

"John Doe" wrote in message
I just got a heavy duty rotary tool plus a flex-shaft.

Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool (Dremel) flex-
shaft lubricant?

I noticed at first the spring rattled a little in the shaft, I guess (as
they say) the lubricant has to spread around the area before providing
enough slippage.

They say to use little lubricant or the device will overheat.

Thanks in advance.

Can you clarify the bit about lubricant please. Should you use "little
lubricant" or "a little lubricant"?
What sort of lubricant is suggested for these shafts. Presumable they
require a fairly low viscosity due to their high speed.
Thanks in advance for your help.

John

Eric R Snow

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 01:07:11 GMT, John Doe wrote:

I just got a heavy duty rotary tool plus a flex-shaft.

Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool (Dremel) flex-
shaft lubricant?

I noticed at first the spring rattled a little in the shaft, I guess (as
they say) the lubricant has to spread around the area before providing
enough slippage.

They say to use little lubricant or the device will overheat.

Thanks in advance.

The stuff I use in my flex shaft is cable lube made for motorcycle
cables. But it doesn't spin as fast as my dremel. The flex shaft is a
foredom. Maybe try a jewellry supply house. They sell flex shafts and
could certainly tell you what they use. BTW, one nice thing you can
buy is a fitting that clamps around the cable and housing and lets you
force lube the whole length of the cable. Not sure if the ones they
sell at motorcycle will fit your cable. Bring it in and see.
Cheers,
Eric R Snow
John Doe

"John Manders" wrote
"John Doe" wrote in message

I just got a heavy duty rotary tool plus a flex-shaft.
Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool (Dremel)
flex- shaft lubricant?
I noticed at first the spring rattled a little in the shaft, I guess
(as they say) the lubricant has to spread around the area before
providing enough slippage.
They say to use little lubricant or the device will overheat.

Can you clarify the bit about lubricant please. Should you use "little
lubricant" or "a little lubricant"?
What sort of lubricant is suggested for these shafts. Presumable they
require a fairly low viscosity due to their high speed.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Dremel says:

"The flex-shaft should be lubricated after every 25-30 hours of use.
snip Wipe a very thin film automotive wheel bearing grease on to the
center core and reinsert it back into the shaft. To prevent damage to
tool do not over grease shaft. Too much grease will cause the unit to
overheat". (They say too much grease can cause the hand grip to become
very hot during normal use.)

"Once Every 200 Hours ... The (Heavy duty Flex-Shaft Tool) cable should be
thoroughly cleaned with a solvent and lubricated."

I don't find any "thin film automotive wheel bearing grease". Apparently,
they meant "a very thin film [of] automotive wheel bearing grease".

Stan Schaefer

John Doe wrote in message 8...
I just got a heavy duty rotary tool plus a flex-shaft.

Any suggestions on the best or easiest to find rotary tool (Dremel) flex-
shaft lubricant?

I noticed at first the spring rattled a little in the shaft, I guess (as
they say) the lubricant has to spread around the area before providing
enough slippage.

They say to use little lubricant or the device will overheat.

Thanks in advance.

Foredom has grease made for their flex shafts, it would probably work
for yours. I've seen it at hobby shops that sell Foredom tools, you
can also get it directly from Foredom. It's a fairly stiff grease,
too, no moly added. Hopefully, the shaft has a removable core, not
like some I've seen that have been crimped together with no means of
lubrication(Sears Crapsman).

Stan
Bruce C.

I assumed that more folks used the same stuff I do. I had a buddy that
carved duck decoys using the foredom tools (he was pretty hard on them). He
told me he used automotive anti-seize lubricant on them. When I got mine
(Harbor Freight) I put anti-seize on it from the git-go. I've had it less
that a year so I can't report on the long term. I also put a couple of drops
of RemOil in the handpiece (don't know if that is good or bad).

Bruce