Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Patching a concrete wall.

Hello all,

I have a small leak in the concrete wall in the cellar.
The rain is making it a bit of nuisance. I have tried
to fix the issue by finding the hole, drilling it out
and filling with some silicone sealant (done when there
was no rain and no water ingress). This, surprisingly,
worked to some extent, but water (as it does) finds its
way in. I suspect that the drilled hole wasn't as clean
or dry as was necessary for the sealant to work properly.

I am now thinking that perhaps a larger hole should be
drilled and filled with a cement mix. Is this in
principle something that could work? I know nothing about
cement / concrete, hence my query.

Does new cement bond with old cement to form a watertight
seal, or will another product have to be used? Or an
additive in the cement / mortar.

Thank you in advance for any help,

David Paste.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 3 Oct 2020 16:35:56 -0700 (PDT), David Paste wrote:

[...]

I use a Mapei waterproof floor tile grout. It's some sort of mortar mix,
very fine materials, and sets hard - I take it on trust that it's
waterproof.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

What do you use it for?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2020 08:27, PeterC wrote:
[...]

I think a cementatious grout is a good idea, it's fine and it should
bond OK. Remember though that if you have water building up on the back
of the wall it is likely to find its way through on the next highest up
pathway, and if it builds up to a significant "head" then it may open up
new pathways.

When you say a concrete wall, do you mean concrete blocks, or has it all
been properly "tanked" with pitch or something else impervious and then
rendered over? Your chance of success depends a lot on what's actually
behind it generating the water flow, and how well it has been constructed.

Another option that could work is to drill out the hole and fill it with
a bitumen sealant injected from a cartridge, this should let you form a
deep and very sticky plug (silicone won't necessarily bond well to the
rough bore of a hole in concrete or render). The problem is "letting the
air out) but you sometimes find a hole drilled into a wall ends up in
open space (e.g. if you go into hollow blockwork, or through plaster
into a mortar joint in brick or blockwork).

If "cosmetics" matters then add a little bit of interior filler for the
last centimetre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 4 Oct 2020 11:43:30 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

PeterC Wrote in message:
[...]

Bits of filling outside, especially on the SW wall; anywhere else where it
seems better than filler.

Just a warning: it's not very cohesive and also not very adhesive to the
tool used - not really a problem on a floor. I don't know how it would be on
large ares - could well be other possibilities in SF/TS.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 4 October 2020 00:36:00 UTC+1, David Paste wrote:
[...]

If a small hole is letting water in, drilling it out is not usually the solution. Concrete is not waterproof. And waterproof coatings are in the majority of cases not the way to keep a space dry. In short we have nowhere near enough info to address your situation reliably.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Paste wrote:
[...]

Here, they use an epoxy of some sort and inject it into
the wall using many application holes. You apply as much
stuff as it takes.

That procedure is typically used for cracks in basement walls,
and they drill holes on either side of the crack and apply it.
The work is easy to do on the inside of the wall.

Google on "epoxy injection foundation".

A guy at work had a crack repaired in his house. And
not an old house either. There are some pictures here resembling
the sheet of material the guy at work had added. He said the
foundation company sent out a man with a shovel, and that man
dug out the hole around the foundation to do the work. All
the way down to the slab. No bobcat. No miniature steam shovels
or other garbage. Just a guy (muscular) with a shovel. And then
other people come and apply the bandaid to the outside of the wall.

https://fondationsdaujourdhui.com/en...-crack-repairs

The guy at work had both done. There were epoxy injection ports
on the inside of the foundation. And a sheet of material affixed
over some sort of solution, as in one of the pictures at the
bottom of that web page. The sheet of material stops at grade,
so the embarrassing usage of materials is not visible from the street.
But, because the crack goes up the wall to the window frame,
there really should be reinforcement all the way. The reason
is for cases where water floods a yard in spring and the water
sits above grade and touches the foundation wall.

I was also able to buy a "caulk tube" at the store, which
consisted of a regular caulk, mixed with sand particles of some
sort, which dries to a gray color, and for as long as you could
buy that, that was excellent for external cosmetic cracks. They
removed the particles from the current product, making it
"ordinary and useless". One reason for sealing cracks, is
in an attempt to prevent spalling when it gets cold enough
to freeze water in a crack.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/10/2020 00:35, David Paste wrote:
[...]

I don't think anything used inside will seal it permanently.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike Wrote in message:
[...]

Worth a go with expanding foam?
Tight snug hole on the application tube, leave it in situ overnight?
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Concrete driveway cleaning and patching miamicuse Home Repair 6 December 22nd 13 12:10 AM
Patching concrete wall crack [email protected] Home Repair 5 September 26th 10 07:16 AM
patching large hole in concrete wall Rald Home Ownership 0 September 7th 05 12:41 AM
concrete patching Home Repair 1 August 5th 05 10:55 PM
'patching' a concrete floor Neal Harwood UK diy 11 October 3rd 04 01:03 PM