Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Patching concrete wall crack

Hi, our warehouse building has a small crack on the corner of the
walls. We want to patch it up and paint over it. What is the best way
to patch up the crack?
Here are 2 pictures taken of the crack: http://flic.kr/p/8DDD8K.

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 11:42*am, "
wrote:
Hi, our warehouse building has a small crack on the corner of the
walls. We want to patch it up and paint over it. What is the best way
to patch up the crack?
Here are 2 pictures taken of the crack:http://flic.kr/p/8DDD8K.

Thanks

I don’t think that’s concrete. I think it’s just stucco. You need
stucco patch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/25/2010 12:04 AM, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:42 am,
wrote:
Hi, our warehouse building has a small crack on the corner of the
walls. We want to patch it up and paint over it. What is the best way
to patch up the crack?
Here are 2 pictures taken of the crack:http://flic.kr/p/8DDD8K.

Thanks

I don’t think that’s concrete. I think it’s just stucco. You need
stucco patch.

And like most stucco failures, FIRST you need to figure out how the
water got behind it to make it fail, and fix that. Use a big icepick to
probe the exposed wood and check for mushy spots. To get it to look
right and last, I'd hire the work out. Stucco is an artisan skill, IMHO.
Most DIY patches end up looking like crap, and/or failing quickly. OP
will need to expose a fresh edge to bond to.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sep 24, 9:04*pm, Molly Brown wrote:
On Sep 24, 11:42*am, "
wrote:

Hi, our warehouse building has a small crack on the corner of the
walls. We want to patch it up and paint over it. What is the best way
to patch up the crack?
Here are 2 pictures taken of the crack:http://flic.kr/p/8DDD8K.

Thanks

I don’t think that’s concrete. I think it’s just stucco. You need
stucco patch.

I was kinda surprised when I saw wood there. The building is a tilt-up
warehouse building. So I always thought that it should be concrete all
the way through. Could it be that since this is a corner, they used
stucco and wood to do the corners?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Hi, our warehouse building has a small crack on the corner of the
walls. We want to patch it up and paint over it. What is the best way
to patch up the crack?
Here are 2 pictures taken of the crack:http://flic.kr/p/8DDD8K.

Thanks

I don’t think that’s concrete. I think it’s just stucco. You need
stucco patch.

And like most stucco failures, FIRST you need to figure out how the
water got behind it to make it fail, and fix that. Use a big icepick to
probe the exposed wood and check for mushy spots. To get it to look
right and last, I'd hire the work out. Stucco is an artisan skill, IMHO.
Most DIY patches end up looking like crap, and/or failing quickly. OP
will need to expose a fresh edge to bond to.

--
aem sends...

The area is not that visible, so I am hoping to still tackle the crack
myself without hiring someone. But your point regarding why it chipped
off is valid. I will go up on the roof to see if there is a leak
anywhere.
Do I just apply stucco patch over the crack and level it with the
wall? Will it stick to the wood interior?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
[...]

Google 'patching stucco' for a step-by-step with pictures. Goes on in
2-3 layers, ususally, after you staple tarpaper and chicken wire to the
wood behind it. Assuming this is cement-based stucco, of course. The
lack of visible chicken wire makes me wonder if this isn't fake stucco
that was put up in sheets, with taped joints and texture gunnited over it.

--
aem sends...

patching ceiling crack Nate Nagel Home Repair 6 March 31st 09 05:03 PM
Need to plug crack in concrete basement wall - TODAY Steve Henderson Home Repair 9 January 21st 07 10:05 PM
patching large hole in concrete wall Rald Home Ownership 0 September 7th 05 12:41 AM
concrete patching Home Repair 1 August 5th 05 10:55 PM
'patching' a concrete floor Neal Harwood UK diy 11 October 3rd 04 01:03 PM