Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default diy Pampus grass

Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the creamy
white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus grass in
the front garden....woo hoo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the creamy
white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus grass in
the front garden....woo hoo

no we are not swingers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the creamy
white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus grass in
the front garden....woo hoo

Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 17:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the
creamy white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus
grass in the front garden....woo hoo

Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

always wanted one I'm going to let it grow as big as possible !...never
thought it would sprout plumes as I bought it half dead from a garden
centre in Newton Stewart that was closing down....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 17:29, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:13, John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the
creamy white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus
grass in the front garden....woo hoo

Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

always wanted one I'm going to let it grow as big as possible !...never
thought it would sprout plumes as I bought it half dead from a garden
centre in Newton Stewart that was closing down....

Once they get going its fair to say they are "hardy" :-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 17:43, ss wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

and danced on its grave?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:43, ss wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

and danced on its grave?

I think they thrive on fire. ;-) Joking apart I think it is a recognised
way of managing them (if you can do so safely). Evolved to survive pampas
fires.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 17:43, ss wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

no no lovely things ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 18:00, Tim+ wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:43, ss wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

and danced on its grave?

I think they thrive on fire. ;-) Joking apart I think it is a recognised
way of managing them (if you can do so safely). Evolved to survive pampas
fires.

Tim

seen the american videos
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:43:04 +0100, ss wrote:

On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

Out here on the -erme- Pampas, the things are regarded as weeds.

Are they still planted out in front gardens as a not-very-secret
message between swingers or did that all die out in the eighties?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 08:12, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 23/09/2020 01:40, Nick Odell wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:43:04 +0100, ss wrote:

On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will
tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

Out here on the -erme- Pampas, the things are regarded as weeds.

Are they still planted out in front gardens as a not-very-secret
message between swingers or did that all die out in the eighties?

Nick

ha ha heard that

we can but hope for offers....tee hee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 01:40, Nick Odell wrote:
On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:43:04 +0100, ss wrote:

On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

Out here on the -erme- Pampas, the things are regarded as weeds.

Are they still planted out in front gardens as a not-very-secret
message between swingers or did that all die out in the eighties?

Nick

Never heard that was the message.This house had one, but I had a ride on
mower. The mower won

--
€śProgress is precisely that which rules and regulations did not foresee,€ť

€“ Ludwig von Mises

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes its still a thing, as far as I'm aware, especially since the insecurity
of the internet meant people could find those involved far too easily for
many peoples liking.
Its a pity of course as these plants are quite attractive. Like many plants
though, once established they do tended to take over. Somebody told me once
it helps if you put a buried metal fence around them, made of something
like ally, and about three feet deep. Well I doubt may bother!

Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Nick Odell" wrote in message
On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 17:43:04 +0100, ss wrote:

On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get will
tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

Out here on the -erme- Pampas, the things are regarded as weeds.

Are they still planted out in front gardens as a not-very-secret
message between swingers or did that all die out in the eighties?

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 16:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the
creamy white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus
grass in the front garden....woo hoo

no we are not swingers

Is that one of the calling cards ?.

Leave it another few years and you'll be easking us how to
get rid if it. Using it as the core of a bonfire seems to
be the easiest solution.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/09/2020 18:22, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:43, ss wrote:
On 22/09/2020 17:40, John Rumm wrote:
Being servant to several of the poxy things, it will turn into a DIY
battle of wits to keep it under control in a year or two!

(hedge trimmer through the base as low to the ground as you can get
will tame it for a few months)

Same here it kept fouling the lawn mower so cut down with a hedge
trimmer and then lit a small fire on the remains. Damn nusiance the
things are.

no no lovely things ....

Plant a bamboo to keep it company :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 21:16, Andrew wrote:
What does having a Pampas green bathroom sayÂ* ?

Andrew

you don't follow the sheep and buy white only ....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/09/2020 21:12, Andrew wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:40, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 22/09/2020 16:39, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
Just noticed today after three or so years after planting it the
creamy white feathery plumes are starting to grow out of the pampus
grass in the front garden....woo hoo

no we are not swingers

Is that one of the calling cards ?.

Leave it another few years and you'll be easking us how to
get rid if it. Using it as the core of a bonfire seems to
be the easiest solution.

doubt it I have wanted one for so long ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Talking of which, my white one has not been changed a lot longer than that,
but unfortunately in the last couple of years the shiny bath enamel is no
longer shiny and suction cups on mats will not stick to it. I'm assuming
this is due to the cleaning and limescale each week over the years its been
there. I cannot imagine there is any kind of application which can sort
this, so at some point, I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get at
least a new white bath. Its metal though,cannot stand the plastic ones. they
feel like sitting in a jelly to me. Of course its now that I realise that
all the walls on that side will probably also have to be retileed, since I
doubt there are any matching tiles still made to patch up the damage when a
different bath is fitted! Sadly I'll have to get a person in nowadays, and
goodness knows how we get the bath in and out.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Using an angle grinder to remove limescale is generally a bad idea.

My 1976 Pampas green enamel bath is still shiny, on the infrequent
occasions that I give it a thorough clean with Jif/Cif

Andrew

On 24/09/2020 07:53, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 09:21, charles wrote:
In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

Avocado ?. Pampas Green for posh(er) houses ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

Steptoe and Son, buying a house

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fHz_ugyjXU

13 minutes in
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

Avocado ?. Pampas Green for posh(er) houses ?

not any green

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/09/2020 11:07, charles wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 23 Sep 2020 21:16:06 +0100, Andrew wrote:

What does having a Pampas green bathroom say ?

You haven't changed the bathroom suite since the 70's?

we haven't changed ours, Installed in 1979 - but not in Pampas Green.

Avocado ?. Pampas Green for posh(er) houses ?

not any green

That's unusual. You can usually tell the age of the female
occupant of a house by the green (or paisley) carpets,
wallpaper and dark green stressless leather chairs :-)