Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yet another home wiring puzzle

A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

Nothing picked up in the 5 year EICR that now mandatory for rental
property's?

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

In which case report the fault to the landlord or managing agent and let
them fix it...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 17:43:18, ARW wrote:
On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

Nothing picked up in the 5 year EICR that now mandatory for rental
property's?

I thought it was still "recommended" and not in force for existing
tenancies until July 2021??

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:43:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

Nothing picked up in the 5 year EICR that now mandatory for rental
property's?

Would that cover inconvient operational matters or just electical
safety concerns?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 19:05:47, John Rumm wrote:
On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

In which case report the fault to the landlord or managing agent and let
them fix it...

That is my thought. There is a general philosophy that an electrical
fault needs looking at sooner rather than later.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

After much sketching, I think I have it figured.

Top switch is two way.

Switched live to bottom light also goes to NC of top switch. NO of top
switch is an always live wire. COM goes to top light.

That would explain why the top lamp has a brief flicker off when
switching the top switch with the bottom light on.

Any other theories?

Regards
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 11:02, Newman wrote:
On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

After much sketching, I think I have it figured.

Top switch is two way.

Switched live to bottom light also goes to NC of top switch. NO of top
switch is an always live wire. COM goes to top light.

Yup, that then gives the landing light a choice of "on" or "same state
as the hall light".

That would explain why the top lamp has a brief flicker off when
switching the top switch with the bottom light on.

The switches are break before make, there would be a very brief
interruption in power.

Any other theories?

That sounds seminally plausible and simple, so Occam's razor suggests is
a good one to go with!

Do you know which circuit the upstairs permanent live to the switch fed
from? Since that will dictate what you can do easily from the current
starting point.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 20/09/2020 19:41, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 20 Sep 2020 17:43:18 +0100, ARW wrote:

Nothing picked up in the 5 year EICR that now mandatory for rental
property's?

Would that cover inconvient operational matters or just electical
safety concerns?

It has to cover both.

Or you get the phone call that the lights do not work.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 21 Sep 2020 11:02:34 +0100, Newman
wrote:

On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:

A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

After much sketching, I think I have it figured.

Top switch is two way.

Switched live to bottom light also goes to NC of top switch. NO of top
switch is an always live wire. COM goes to top light.

That would explain why the top lamp has a brief flicker off when
switching the top switch with the bottom light on.

Any other theories?

Regards

I agree. Maybe only the top light existed originally, and both
switches are two-way so that either one can control the light. The
hall light was added later, connected to one of the two wires joining
the two-way switches.
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Newman Wrote in message:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.When top switch is on, only top light is on.When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be switched off with top switch.Any suggestions?I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.Regards

A wire is taken from the switched live at the hall switch to both
the hall and landing lights. So when you turn on hall switch it
provides power to both light fittings. This cannot be turned off
using landing switch.

The landing light also has a switched live from the landing switch
to the landing light and can therefore independently turn on and
off the landing light (provided there's no power from hall
switch).

Phil

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----