Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Yet another home wiring puzzle

On 21/09/2020 11:02, Newman wrote:
On 20/09/2020 15:48, Newman wrote:
A hall with top and bottom lights and top and bottom single switches.

When top switch is on, only top light is on.

When bottom switch is on, both lights are on. Top light cannot be
switched off with top switch.

Any suggestions?

I am reluctant to investigate further as it is a rental property.

Regards

After much sketching, I think I have it figured.

Top switch is two way.

Switched live to bottom light also goes to NC of top switch. NO of top
switch is an always live wire. COM goes to top light.

Yup, that then gives the landing light a choice of "on" or "same state
as the hall light".

That would explain why the top lamp has a brief flicker off when
switching the top switch with the bottom light on.

The switches are break before make, there would be a very brief
interruption in power.

Any other theories?

That sounds seminally plausible and simple, so Occam's razor suggests is
a good one to go with!

Do you know which circuit the upstairs permanent live to the switch fed
from? Since that will dictate what you can do easily from the current
starting point.

--
Cheers,

John.