Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT next financial crash end of October?...

On 11/09/2020 07:51, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I guess it is going to be caused by people defaulting on their car
finance .....Audi and mercs are going to be handed back by the thousand
as all the flash men with no longer needed flash jobs hand their cars
backÂ* ... bit like the sub prime mortgage crash of 2008 .....

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the commute.
My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As my commute
is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I didn't. Sounds like
perhaps I should!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 11/09/2020 07:51, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I guess it is going to be caused by people defaulting on their car
finance .....Audi and mercs are going to be handed back by the
thousand as all the flash men with no longer needed flash jobs hand
their cars back* ... bit like the sub prime mortgage crash of 2008 .....

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the
commute. My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As my
commute is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I didn't.
Sounds like perhaps I should!

For rather different reasons, I too am in the market for a car.

My wife: shopper, cook, organiser and otherwise important person has
developed a painful knee due to wear and tear of cartilage.

Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

Never heard of autos? ;-)

--
*Always drink upstream from the herd *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 09:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes
On 11/09/2020 07:51, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
I guess it is going to be caused by people defaulting on their car
finance .....Audi and mercs are going to be handed back by the
thousandÂ* as all the flash men with no longer needed flash jobs hand
their carsÂ* backÂ* ... bit like the sub prime mortgage crash of 2008

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the
commute. My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As
my commute is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I
didn't. Sounds like perhaps I should!

For rather different reasons, I too am in the market for a car.

My wife: shopper, cook, organiser and otherwise important person has
developed a painful knee due to wear and tear of cartilage.

Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

yes people will spend a fortune to try and save money .....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

Never heard of autos? ;-)

Yes. I don't like them.

Having just been robbed of £160 for daring to briefly touch your ILEZ in
a Euro 5 diesel and having family living there, I think fully electric
makes some sense.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

Never heard of autos? ;-)

Yes. I don't like them.

Having just been robbed of £160 for daring to briefly touch your ILEZ in
a Euro 5 diesel and having family living there, I think fully electric
makes some sense.

my auto diesel don't pay ILEZ charges. Obviously has a better engine, but
I'm thinking of electric since most journeys don't seem to exceed 15 miles
each way, nowadays

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 09:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the
commute. My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As
my commute is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I
didn't. Sounds like perhaps I should!

For rather different reasons, I too am in the market for a car.

My wife: shopper, cook, organiser and otherwise important person has
developed a painful knee due to wear and tear of cartilage.

Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue.

Can't she get a car with one good gear that will last a few years?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 18/09/2020 09:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the
commute. My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As
my commute is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I
didn't. Sounds like perhaps I should!

For rather different reasons, I too am in the market for a car.
My wife: shopper, cook, organiser and otherwise important person has
developed a painful knee due to wear and tear of cartilage.
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue.

Can't she get a car with one good gear that will last a few years?

:-) She managed to get to Waitrose and back this morning so there is
hope.
Anyone want a low mileage, overdue for a cambelt change Fiesta?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

Never heard of autos? ;-)

Yes. I don't like them.

Having just been robbed of £160 for daring to briefly touch your ILEZ in
a Euro 5 diesel and having family living there, I think fully electric
makes some sense.

I'm sure both dealers and makers will soon find a way of conning money out
of you with an EEV. They are only human.

Given the way most say they no longer understand IC engined vehicles due
to the electronics they use, EEVs will be a godsend to them.

--
*Speak softly and carry a cellular phone *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Tim Lamb wrote:
Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue. Most of her
mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

Never heard of autos? ;-)

Yes. I don't like them.

Having just been robbed of £160 for daring to briefly touch your ILEZ in
a Euro 5 diesel and having family living there, I think fully electric
makes some sense.

my auto diesel don't pay ILEZ charges. Obviously has a better engine, but
I'm thinking of electric since most journeys don't seem to exceed 15 miles
each way, nowadays

If you're not doing many miles now, EEVs make even less sense financially.
Since fuel is not the largest cost.

--
*Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 14:13, Tim Lamb wrote:

:-)Â* She managed to get to Waitrose and back this morning so there is hope.
Anyone want a low mileage, overdue for a cambelt change Fiesta?

Just had the cambelt done on mine at 10 years and 103k miles, £350+Vat
but the kicker was they found a broken front spring which bumped it up
to 700 quid.

My wife refuses to drive it as it is manual but being one of the last
small diesels without a DPF I'm keen to keep it as it has been in the
family since new.

She is an ideal candidate for a small ev like a Zoe as she never drives
far but the capital cost means it's worth sticking with a petrol auto
for a long time yet. As to the £50/month battery lease; she never spends
that much on petrol in a month.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , AJH
writes
On 18/09/2020 14:13, Tim Lamb wrote:

:-)* She managed to get to Waitrose and back this morning so there is
:hope.
Anyone want a low mileage, overdue for a cambelt change Fiesta?

Just had the cambelt done on mine at 10 years and 103k miles, £350+Vat
but the kicker was they found a broken front spring which bumped it up
to 700 quid.

Hmm.. Ford agent wanted around £800 but they insist on replacing the
water pump as part of the job! This is the 1600cc with DPF. I'm the only
driver doing motorway trips so I always get the filter clean cycle:-(

My wife refuses to drive it as it is manual but being one of the last
small diesels without a DPF I'm keen to keep it as it has been in the
family since new.

I like ours. Reasonable performance, sensible gear ratios, good embedded
screen heaters and parsimonious fuel consumption.

One fault is the glossy plastic finish above the dashboard.. can't see
through the windscreen if driving towards the Sun:-(

She is an ideal candidate for a small ev like a Zoe as she never drives
far but the capital cost means it's worth sticking with a petrol auto
for a long time yet. As to the £50/month battery lease; she never
spends that much on petrol in a month.

Not all batteries are leased.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:40:01 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Most of her mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

groan...

Is this your coat? B-)

If mileage is really low and trips only once or twice a week,
insurance, tax, MOT, servicing/maintenance are going to be
significant costs. Might be worth coming to an arrangement with a
local taxi firm...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:40:01 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Most of her mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

groan...

Is this your coat? B-)

If mileage is really low and trips only once or twice a week,
insurance, tax, MOT, servicing/maintenance are going to be
significant costs. Might be worth coming to an arrangement with a
local taxi firm...

Current annual mileage around 6000. Tax zero! (only £20 on the Fiesta)
Servicing out to be cheaper as there is nothing to do on the motor or
battery. Brakes/filters could be d-i-y. Don't know about insurance but
might be marginally cheaper (collision avoidance tech.)

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 18:16, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , AJH
writes

Just had the cambelt done on mine at 10 years and 103k miles, £350+Vat
but the kicker was they found a broken front spring which bumped it up
to 700 quid.

Hmm.. Ford agent wanted around £800 but they insist on replacing the
water pump as part of the job!

Yes job included auxiliary belt and water pump, parts £150 labour £180,
not a main dealer, local firm I like.

This is the 1600cc with DPF. I'm the only
driver doing motorway trips so I always get the filter clean cycle:-(

Same PSA basic engine but no DPF. A chap I work with has a Dmax pick up,
sump fills up with unburned diesel every 3k miles, stupid system to get
the dpf hot.

I like ours. Reasonable performance, sensible gear ratios, good embedded
screen heaters and parsimonious fuel consumption.

Me too but mine is the eco model with no extras like that, small,
handles well and over 65mpg, not quite as good as the 206 with the 1400
psa engine (which lasted 305k miles and still good when I handed it
back) but 16 more hp.

She is an ideal candidate for a small ev like a Zoe as she never
drives far but the capital cost means it's worth sticking with a
petrol auto for a long time yet. As to the £50/month battery lease;
she never spends that much on petrol in a month.

Not all batteries are leased.

No not many are now the battery gets a 7 year warranty that it is still
within 80% capacity as new but you still need to amortise the capital
cost over the miles you expect it to last. The Zoe originally could only
be bought with a leased battery and thus the secondhand prices are
reasonable but still not worth having for low mileages with a battery
costing more than fuel used on very local journeys.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 14:13, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 18/09/2020 09:40, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Vir Campestris
writes

Before lockdown I was considering buying a sensible car for the
commute. My nice car now has 175,000 miles and is 20 years old... As
my commute is now about as many metres as it used to be miles I
didn't. Sounds like perhaps I should!
Â*For rather different reasons, I too am in the market for a car.
Â*My wife: shopper, cook, organiser and otherwise important person has
developed a painful knee due to wear and tear of cartilage.
Â*Gear changing on her diesel Fiesta has become an issue.

Can't she get a car with one good gear that will last a few years?

:-)Â* She managed to get to Waitrose and back this morning so there is hope.
Anyone want a low mileage, overdue for a cambelt change Fiesta?

Why on earth did she buy a diesel fiesta in the first place ?.
Diesels and 'low mileage' are a bad combination.

Yaris petrol/hybrid seems to be the sort of car she should have.
Implicitly auto.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/09/2020 20:51, AJH wrote:
Yes job included auxiliary belt and water pump, parts £150 labour £180,
not a main dealer, local firm I like.

Trade price for a belt kit for most mass produced cars can be less
than £50 !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Old diesel auto luxury cars are cheap as chips at the moment

--
The New Left are the people they warned you about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
[...]

that's why i want to replace my diesel. 9000 miles mostb years, only 5000,
so far this year,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andrew
writes
[...]

10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm and
everything else was diesel at the time.
I have since inherited a 1600 petrol Zafira! Every time I stall the low
torque engine I am reminded why I prefer diesels:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message l.net,
Dave Liquorice writes
On Fri, 18 Sep 2020 09:40:01 +0100, Tim Lamb wrote:

Most of her mileage is local so we have started looking at all electric!

Prices are a bit of a shock!

groan...

Is this your coat? B-)

If mileage is really low and trips only once or twice a week,
insurance, tax, MOT, servicing/maintenance are going to be
significant costs. Might be worth coming to an arrangement with a
local taxi firm...

Current annual mileage around 6000. Tax zero! (only £20 on the Fiesta)
Servicing out to be cheaper as there is nothing to do on the motor or
battery. Brakes/filters could be d-i-y. Don't know about insurance but
might be marginally cheaper (collision avoidance tech.)

On a little used newish vehicle, depreciation is often the major cost.

You can minimise that by buying/selling used carefully.

EEVs are too new to have reached the best part of that depreciation curve.

Of course many just want a particular vehicle. Then try to justify their
choice with figures plucked out of the air. ;-)

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm and
everything else was diesel at the time.
I have since inherited a 1600 petrol Zafira! Every time I stall the low
torque engine I am reminded why I prefer diesels:-(

If you regularly stall any vehicle, I'd suggest getting an auto. ;-)

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes

Why on earth did she buy a diesel fiesta in the first place ?.
Diesels and 'low mileage' are a bad combination.

Yaris petrol/hybrid seems to be the sort of car she should have.
Implicitly auto.

10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm and
everything else was diesel at the time.

Plenty of red diesel around...

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Max
Demian writes
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes

Why on earth did she buy a diesel fiesta in the first place ?.
Diesels and 'low mileage' are a bad combination.

Yaris petrol/hybrid seems to be the sort of car she should have.
Implicitly auto.

10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm
and everything else was diesel at the time.

Plenty of red diesel around...

Naughty!

Farmers markets and sales are a common place for Revenue tank dipping.
While the dye can be removed it is apparently not so easy for the trace
chemicals.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year.

Much the same as my daughter and coupled with the zero tax and low
insurance cost it is economical on long trips, so while it sits in my
drive doing nothing most of the time (as I have a classic, a 4wd and a
couple of bikes to entertain me) it is not worth replacing, 100k miles
more will easily see me out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/09/2020 22:37, AJH wrote:
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year.

Much the same as my daughter and coupled with the zero tax and low
insurance cost it is economical on long trips, so while it sits in my
drive doing nothing most of the time (as I have a classic, a 4wd and a
couple of bikes to entertain me) it is not worth replacing, 100k miles
more will easily see me out.

even 10K miles per year doesn't really put you in the saving
category, fuel-wise.
Most people bought diesel cars so that they could pay almost nothing
for annual road tax.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/09/2020 19:52, Andrew wrote:
On 19/09/2020 22:37, AJH wrote:
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year.

Much the same as my daughter and coupled with the zero tax and low
insurance cost it is economical on long trips, so while it sits in my
drive doing nothing most of the time (as I have a classic, a 4wd and a
couple of bikes to entertain me) it is not worth replacing, 100k miles
more will easily see me out.

even 10K miles per year doesn't really put you in the saving
category, fuel-wise.

In this case it probably did because it was a company car used by my
elder daughter until the 4 year lease was up when I bought it
advantageously for my younger daughter.

Most people bought diesel cars so that they could pay almost nothing
for annual road tax.

This one has no vehicle tax to pay.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , AJH
writes
On 18/09/2020 14:13, Tim Lamb wrote:

:-)* She managed to get to Waitrose and back this morning so there
:is hope.
Anyone want a low mileage, overdue for a cambelt change Fiesta?

Just had the cambelt done on mine at 10 years and 103k miles, £350+Vat
but the kicker was they found a broken front spring which bumped it up
to 700 quid.

Hmm.. Ford agent wanted around £800 but they insist on replacing the
water pump as part of the job! This is the 1600cc with DPF. I'm the
only driver doing motorway trips so I always get the filter clean
cycle:-(

Local garage did the same on my VW Transporter. But as he explained if
next week your water pump fails it's virtually the same job all over
again - and the same price.

Snip
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
writes
In message , Andrew
writes
[...]

Well when I first got this Transporter (diesel) I stalled it fairly
regularly, compared to the Defender (Ford Puma trannie van engine) which
I never stall.
--
bert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andrew
writes
On 19/09/2020 22:37, AJH wrote:
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year.

Much the same as my daughter and coupled with the zero tax and low
insurance cost it is economical on long trips, so while it sits in my
drive doing nothing most of the time (as I have a classic, a 4wd and a
couple of bikes to entertain me) it is not worth replacing, 100k miles
more will easily see me out.

even 10K miles per year doesn't really put you in the saving
category, fuel-wise.
Most people bought diesel cars so that they could pay almost nothing
for annual road tax.

Oh yeah. Nearly £600 for my diesel Defender - my previous 4L V8 petrol
was about £250.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/09/2020 15:03, bert wrote:
Well when I first got this Transporter (diesel) I stalled it fairly
regularly, compared to the Defender (Ford Puma trannie van engine) which
I never stall.

I regularly stall my wife's car. There's enough power in the programmed
idle on my car for parking.

Both are petrol.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes

Why on earth did she buy a diesel fiesta in the first place ?.
Diesels and 'low mileage' are a bad combination.

Yaris petrol/hybrid seems to be the sort of car she should have.
Implicitly auto.
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm
and everything else was diesel at the time.

Plenty of red diesel around...

Naughty!

Farmers markets and sales are a common place for Revenue tank dipping.
While the dye can be removed it is apparently not so easy for the trace
chemicals.

I suppose some crafty type could fit a spare tank with a hidden filler
cap:....
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tony sayer
writes
In article , Tim Lamb
scribeth thus
In message , Max
Demian writes
On 19/09/2020 09:36, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andrew
writes

Why on earth did she buy a diesel fiesta in the first place ?.
Diesels and 'low mileage' are a bad combination.

Yaris petrol/hybrid seems to be the sort of car she should have.
Implicitly auto.
10 years ago, we were doing 10,000m per year. Also, this is a farm
and everything else was diesel at the time.

Plenty of red diesel around...

Naughty!

Farmers markets and sales are a common place for Revenue tank dipping.
While the dye can be removed it is apparently not so easy for the trace
chemicals.

I suppose some crafty type could fit a spare tank with a hidden filler
cap:....

:-) Shades of WW2. Wasn't aviation petrol coloured green?

--
Tim Lamb

OT New financial crash??? harry UK diy 7 September 21st 19 10:13 AM
uPVC beads with end square end and one mitred end Tim Watts[_2_] UK diy 7 December 5th 12 06:32 PM
O.T. Next financial bubble to burst. harry Home Repair 157 December 30th 10 06:52 PM
OT - China: the world’s next great economic crash? Jon Elson Metalworking 0 January 25th 10 06:03 AM
Next plane purchase--next 2 plane purchases? Eric Anderson Woodworking 23 January 18th 04 06:18 AM