Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Motorway NOx

On Sunday, 20 September 2020 10:21:20 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message ,
tabbypurr writes
On Thursday, 17 September 2020 09:48:11 UTC+1, michael adams wrote:
"Martin Brown" wrote in message

The people who drive with a foot hard down on one or other of brake
or accelerator are
the ones who get worst possible mpg and most pollution.

They are usually to be found in the outside lane 2m behind the
bumper of another
vehicle.

With all due respect wouldn't driving 2m behind the bumper of the car in
front considerably reduce air resistance and thus raise MPG, certainly
in comparison to the car in front ? Being "sucked along" is, I believe, the
relevant phrase.

Maybe it isn't all just testosterone in action after all; but penny pinching
by drivers who are nevertheless in a bit of a hurry.

michael adams

Cyclists sometimes discover just how effective that trick is. They tend
to then discover that nothing about pedal bikes is really upto the sort
of speeds trucks do.

Umm.. With a 12 tooth fixed wheel sprocket, I could follow the school
bus in the displaced air return. I don't suppose the diesel smoke did my
lungs much good but this was 1958 or thereabouts.

In '58 maybe, not today. I know how some 58 trucks drive.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 September 2020 22:48:58 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 19 September 2020 22:23:04 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

ICBW but AIUI the total cycle of electric versus diesel does not show a
convincing 'green' benefit to electric.

If youd driven into Glasgow yesterday and seen the yellow pall of smog
hanging over the city you might think otherwise.

It does move the pollution away from residential areas to power stations,
but that does not achieve 'saving the planet' however the greens choose to define that.

Volvo/Polestar are trying to put some figures to it all (which account for
carbon costs of build & use).

https://www.polestar.com/uk/electric.../transparency/

Tim

Any genuine comparison is fairly complex, involving a bunch of debateable
figures. The error margin gets too large.

So your assertion is equally debatable...

Tim

not really.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

Umm.. With a 12 tooth fixed wheel sprocket, I could follow the school bus in the
displaced air return. I don't suppose the diesel smoke did my lungs much good but this
was 1958 or thereabouts.

pedant ?

I'd have preferred a freewheel sprocket myself. I wouldn't fancy being
on a fixie in that situation, if the bus had come to quick stop.

/pedant ?

michael adams

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , michael adams
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
.. .

Umm.. With a 12 tooth fixed wheel sprocket, I could follow the school
bus in the
displaced air return. I don't suppose the diesel smoke did my lungs
much good but this
was 1958 or thereabouts.

pedant ?

I'd have preferred a freewheel sprocket myself. I wouldn't fancy being
on a fixie in that situation, if the bus had come to quick stop.

At the time, I had the largest available front ring. 12 tooth did not
then come with a free wheel.
Stopping was never an issue but frost on the road and the vehicle going
too fast for my pedaling was dangerous:-(

--
Tim Lamb