Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Stain blocking paint

Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott Wrote in message:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

Sounds dubious. Does friend reckon the stain block soaks through
the wallpaper & sticks it to the wall? Or just blocks steam from
a future stripper?in which case score with a knife....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 13:09, Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

It will probably make it harder to remove the wallpaper but it will with
a bit of luck also do what it says on the tin and block the stain.

You have to choose. Most things will come off a wall once wetted with a
sharp blade and a steady hand if all else fails.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 13:09, Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

The stain is likely to come through in a few weeks time. Use a stain block.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 13:36:40 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

On 15/09/2020 13:09, Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

The stain is likely to come through in a few weeks time. Use a stain block.

Thanks. As my follow up, how long do I need to leave the emulsion to
dry before I can apply the stain block?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

If the stain is large enough maybe but most stains arent that big.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

Jim from ukra is experienced with dealing with bad stains, albeit in the
gusset of his womens drawers that he prances around in rather than on
walls.

--
M0TEY // STC // #SaveOurNHS
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 15 September 2020 13:10:00 UTC+1, Scott wrote:
Friend says you should not use stain blocking paint on wallpaper as it
makes the wallpaper very difficult to remove in future. I have
followed this and it is taking several coats of emulsion to obliterate
the stain. It is lining paper in this case. Is my friend correct?

I don't know, but repeated coats of the same stuff the stain comes through are pointless. Try oil based undercoat or stain blocker. OBU works almost all the time.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:58:49 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Although quite expensive I'm now a fan of the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3
water based sealer/primer which dries quickly and can be overpainted in
an hour or two.

How smelly is it? SWMBO'd can detect 1 part in 10 billion of organic
solvent... low VOC paints are a no no, even some water based things
get disapproving comment and instruction to open every window and
door in the place.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/09/2020 21:07, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 15 Sep 2020 19:58:49 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Although quite expensive I'm now a fan of the Zinsser Bulls Eye 1-2-3
water based sealer/primer which dries quickly and can be overpainted in
an hour or two.

How smelly is it? SWMBO'd can detect 1 part in 10 billion of organic
solvent... low VOC paints are a no no, even some water based things
get disapproving comment and instruction to open every window and
door in the place.

Less than the smell of water based emulsion. On a warm day it dries very
quickly, perhaps in less than 30 minutes (requiring swift application).
If you need to ventilate it will only be for a very short period of time.

I find that with low VOC paints that they have much less smell than
paints of the past but drying to a hard finish can take many days and
the smell lingers for perhaps a week.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

How smelly is it?