Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How waterproof is "waterproof" tile adhesive?

I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

I was researching making the same type of concrete for a similar project-
an outside stove for cooking BBQs etc- and found examples of people using
it for all kinds of things where it would certainly get wet outside and,
presumably, freeze. Some were in places with more extreme winters than we
normally see.

None mentioned problems/concerns over frost type damage.

The inside of pizza ovens are generally coated with fire clay after being
formed- typically using a beach ball as a former.

You could always paint the outside render with one of the smooth sealing
paint type finishes.

As for tile adhesive, I think it is resistant rather than water proof. If
you really soak it for a long time it will soften. In showers etc, the
tiles protect the adhesive add the exposed grout has a limited area.

The stuff used in swimming pools is another matter. There the grout /
adhesive is always exposed and is specifically water proof.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

--
*Is there another word for synonym?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Radio Man Wrote in message:
Jimk wrote:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

I was researching making the same type of concrete for a similar project-
an outside stove for cooking BBQs etc- and found examples of people using
it for all kinds of things where it would certainly get wet outside and,
presumably, freeze. Some were in places with more extreme winters than we
normally see.

None mentioned problems/concerns over frost type damage.

Indeed. They generally don't reveal what they do to protect them
when not in use.

Vermiculite absorbs water

The inside of pizza ovens are generally coated with fire clay after being
formed- typically using a beach ball as a former.

Small pizzas? :-)

The ones I've seen don't line it with anything more than the
vermiculite concrete mix.

You could always paint the outside render with one of the smooth sealing
paint type finishes.

Hmmm

As for tile adhesive, I think it is resistant rather than water proof. If
you really soak it for a long time it will soften. In showers etc, the
tiles protect the adhesive add the exposed grout has a limited area.

The stuff used in swimming pools is another matter. There the grout /
adhesive is always exposed and is specifically water proof.

& Expensive!

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Radio Man wrote:
As for tile adhesive, I think it is resistant rather than water proof. If
you really soak it for a long time it will soften. In showers etc, the
tiles protect the adhesive add the exposed grout has a limited area.

That would apply to ready mixed adhesive that comes in a bucket - like
some emulsion paint.

The cement based stuff comes in a packet and you mix it with water - just
like other mortar.

I've got some tiles outdoors fixed with that which have been just fine.
Think tiles on a garden path.

--
*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS

I'd suggest you read my comments in it. From one who knows, rather than
speculates.

--
*Cover me. I'm changing lanes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Jimk Wrote in message:
I'm thinking of building a pizza oven from vermiculite & cement.

It will live outdoors.

If it get wet & freezes I reckon it will crack & fail.

I'll need to "render" it to keep rain off somehow.

Is waterproof tile adhesive really waterproof ?

Any other suggestions besides a tarp?

TIA

NB I mean the powder cementitious tile adhesives, not the ready
mix "gloop in a bucket" variety...

Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS

I'd suggest you read my comments in it. From one who knows, rather than
speculates.

Not worth the few electrons required as usual Duhve.
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS

I'd suggest you read my comments in it. From one who knows, rather than
speculates.

Not worth the few electrons required as usual Duhve.

Perhaps you'd keep that in mind when posting your more usual OT crap, then?

Read my lips. A decent mortar is waterproof. One which wasn't would be of
very limited use.

--
*Time is what keeps everything from happening at once.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Cement type should be as waterproof as any other mortar.

So not really then.

All your various walls have cracked and fallen apart then? No surprise
there.

Big surprise Duhve ! Read the thread... FFS

I'd suggest you read my comments in it. From one who knows, rather than
speculates.

Not worth the few electrons required as usual Duhve.

Perhaps you'd keep that in mind when posting your more usual OT crap, then?

I don't post OT you dopey git....

Read my lips. A decent mortar is waterproof. One which wasn't would be of
very limited use.

So when it rains the mortar in your walls doesn't get wet?

You are even thicker than I thought... :-D

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Perhaps you'd keep that in mind when posting your more usual OT crap, then?

I don't post OT you dopey git....

Words fail me on this occasion...

Read my lips. A decent mortar is waterproof. One which wasn't would be
of very limited use.

So when it rains the mortar in your walls doesn't get wet?

You have waterproof clothing that doesn't get wet when it rains?

You are even thicker than I thought... :-D

Is it alcohol abuse that has addled your brain?

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Perhaps you'd keep that in mind when posting your more usual OT crap, then?

I don't post OT you dopey git....

Words fail me on this occasion...

Cite Duhve ?

Read my lips. A decent mortar is waterproof. One which wasn't would be
of very limited use.

So when it rains the mortar in your walls doesn't get wet?

You have waterproof clothing that doesn't get wet when it rains?

Do your bricks magically stay dry too? How's that work then Duhve?

You are even thicker than I thought... :-D

Is it alcohol abuse that has addled your brain?

No addling here , just knowledge, "bus lane boy"....

Why do older houses have cellars?
Why use a dpc or DPM?

You've dug yourself another right hole haven't you dopey Duhve? :-D:-D

--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jimk wrote:
Is it alcohol abuse that has addled your brain?

No addling here , just knowledge, "bus lane boy"....

Why do older houses have cellars?
Why use a dpc or DPM?

Pray tell what is either side of that DPC. If you can put down your buckie
long enough to use the few brain cells you have left, that is.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jimk wrote:
Is it alcohol abuse that has addled your brain?

No addling here , just knowledge, "bus lane boy"....

Why do older houses have cellars?
Why use a dpc or DPM?

Pray tell what is either side of that DPC. If you can put down your buckie
long enough to use the few brain cells you have left, that is.

If mortar was waterproof like you insist you wouldn't need the DPC
would you? you bloody retard! :-D:-D
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Radio Man wrote:
As for tile adhesive, I think it is resistant rather than water proof. If
you really soak it for a long time it will soften. In showers etc, the
tiles protect the adhesive add the exposed grout has a limited area.

That would apply to ready mixed adhesive that comes in a bucket - like
some emulsion paint.

The cement based stuff comes in a packet and you mix it with water - just
like other mortar.

I've got some tiles outdoors fixed with that which have been just fine.
Think tiles on a garden path.

"*I went to school to become a wit, only got halfway through.

* *Dave Plowman"

Never a truer word?

--
Jimk