Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default LED Dimmer - depth

I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 17:13, JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.

Two easy options:
1. make or buy a spacer, like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider...er-white/5782j
2. chop out the back box and fit a deeper one
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 17:13, JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.

You can get spacers that fit behind the switch and give you an extra
10mm of depth.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 10/09/2020 17:13, JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.

There is only one brand I will recommend.

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

They'll put in smart bulbs instead.

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/best-smart-light-bulbs

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.

I'd say a dimmer which fits in a plaster depth box the exception rather
than the rule?

--
*White with a hint of M42*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in
:

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible
dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I
found the module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires
needed to enter from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It
is ok in the dry lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit
into a brass faceplate.

I'd say a dimmer which fits in a plaster depth box the exception
rather than the rule?

Thanks - That is how it is looking. The existing dimmer module is
against the back - but the chunky brass faceplate is recessed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 22:38, ARW wrote:
On 10/09/2020 17:13, JohnP wrote:
I want to replace a (incandescent) dimmer with a LED compatible dimmer.

I thought - I will swap it with one I hardly use as a interim. I found
the
module was too deep and to make matters worse the wires needed to enter
from the back - hence adding to the module depth. It is ok in the dry
lining box - but won't fit in the shallow box.

Any ideas on a brand to try? I really want just the module to fit into a
brass faceplate.

There is only one brand I will recommend.

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

+1 - the only ones I use as well.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/09/2020 00:04, JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Its ok, LED dimmers will dim incandescents as well - its just that
"normal" dimmers are not as good with LEDs - hence the LED in its title.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and
the now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

V-Pro work with incandescent too. Or rather the ones I have do.

--
*If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 September 2020 14:12:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2020 00:04, JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Its ok, LED dimmers will dim incandescents as well - its just that
"normal" dimmers are not as good with LEDs - hence the LED in its title.

+1, though 'not as good' means kills some LED lamps & doesn't dim many properly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2020 14:12:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2020 00:04, JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php
I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Its ok, LED dimmers will dim incandescents as well - its just that
"normal" dimmers are not as good with LEDs - hence the LED in its title.

+1, though 'not as good' means kills some LED lamps & doesn't dim many properly.

NT

There's more than one kind of dimmer. This article describes
the most common type (triac based one).

https://www.edn.com/how-to-make-led-bulbs-dimmable/

It's a kind of electrical partnership.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2020 14:12:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2020 00:04, JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die -
and the now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Its ok, LED dimmers will dim incandescents as well - its just that
"normal" dimmers are not as good with LEDs - hence the LED in its
title.

+1, though 'not as good' means kills some LED lamps & doesn't dim many
properly.

Not had one kill an LED, but older ones simply don't dim them at all.

It is likely worth checking, though. Was surprised to find the dimmers I
installed in the early 90s - MK grid type - do dim LEDs OK.

--
*What happens if you get scared half to death twice? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

It is likely worth checking, though. Was surprised to find the dimmers I
installed in the early 90s - MK grid type - do dim LEDs OK.

Maybe you did not buy cheap lamps:-)

We got a workaround at one pub that went LED - the varilight only works
up to a maximum of 30 LED lamps per dimmer - by sticking an incandescent
in with the LEDs and well exceeded 30 LED lamps (AKA bulbs to my friend TMH)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 September 2020 11:10:41 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

CR ballasted LEDs strongly object to old leading edge dimmers.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2020 00:35, wrote:
On Friday, 11 September 2020 14:12:48 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 11/09/2020 00:04, JohnP wrote:
ARW wrote in news:51x6H.1813576$1Eh.351853
@fx46.ams4:

https://www.varilight.co.uk/dimmers/v-pro.php

I have used them before on incandescents.

It slightly bothers me that I will change my dimmers - then die - and the
now occupant will put in Incandescent lamps and curse me!!!!

Its ok, LED dimmers will dim incandescents as well - its just that
"normal" dimmers are not as good with LEDs - hence the LED in its title.

+1, though 'not as good' means kills some LED lamps & doesn't dim many properly.

I have never had one killed by a dimmer - although most of mine are
fairly decent varilight ones.

As long as the LED lamp is actually a dimmable one designed for normal
lamp fittings, then it should work to some extent on most dimmers. They
usually work better (i.e. much wider dimming range, no flicker etc) on
LED dimmers.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/09/2020 18:46, ARW wrote:

It is likely worth checking, though. Was surprised to find the dimmers I
installed in the early 90s - MK grid type - do dim LEDs OK.

Maybe you did not buy cheap lamps:-)

We got a workaround at one pub that went LED - the varilight only works
up to a maximum of 30 LED lamps per dimmer - by sticking an incandescent
in with the LEDs and well exceeded 30 LED lamps (AKA bulbs to my friend
TMH)

I have found a number of cases where one gls or halogen in the mix can
make everything else play nicer with a dimmer - especially those that
have a high minimum wattage.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 September 2020 11:55:22 UTC+1, John Rumm wrote:
On 13/09/2020 00:35, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Most LED lamps are not CR ballasted. Any that are die quickly on leading edge dimmers, the R overheats grossly. The same charge goes through per half cycle, but since a lot of it goes through in a rapid pulse, the R's V drop is many times higher & P likewise. I suspect that's why CR ballasts aren't more popular.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I have never had one killed by a dimmer - although most of mine are
fairly decent varilight ones.

As long as the LED lamp is actually a dimmable one designed for normal
lamp fittings, then it should work to some extent on most dimmers.
They usually work better (i.e. much wider dimming range, no flicker
etc) on LED dimmers.

Most LED lamps are not CR ballasted. Any that are die quickly on leading
edge dimmers, the R overheats grossly. The same charge goes through per
half cycle, but since a lot of it goes through in a rapid pulse, the R's
V drop is many times higher & P likewise. I suspect that's why CR
ballasts aren't more popular.

I've not tried to dim a LED which said it wasn't dimmable. But of those
I've tried which are, on an 'old' dimmer usually don't dim at all. Just go
out as the dimmer goes to max.

--
*Reality is the illusion that occurs due to the lack of alcohol *