Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 48 and 24 tracked - Royal Mail

Why do the call them 48 and 24 hour tracked?

They collected my 48 hour parcel Thursday afternoon, it showed up in
the 'National DC' which I assume means Distribution Centre on Friday
early afternoon. It is now Wednesday, which is some 144 hours since RM
got their hands on it, yet they still have not delivered it.

It (tracking) has been suggesting it would be delivered between 6:42
and 10:42am since Saturday morning, but it carefully does not indicate
which day that might be. I have carefully made sure I or someone has
been in since Saturday, to accept it - when they eventually decide to
deliver.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 19:58:16 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Why do the call them 48 and 24 hour tracked?

They collected my 48 hour parcel Thursday afternoon, it showed up in
the 'National DC' which I assume means Distribution Centre on Friday
early afternoon. It is now Wednesday, which is some 144 hours since RM
got their hands on it, yet they still have not delivered it.

It (tracking) has been suggesting it would be delivered between 6:42
and 10:42am since Saturday morning, but it carefully does not indicate
which day that might be. I have carefully made sure I or someone has
been in since Saturday, to accept it - when they eventually decide to
deliver.

I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott was thinking very hard :
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.

It doesn't explain the useless tracking and 48 has never been an
indication it would be delivered in 48 hours anyway.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 09 Sep 2020 20:55:01 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Scott was thinking very hard :
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.

It doesn't explain the useless tracking and 48 has never been an
indication it would be delivered in 48 hours anyway.

Could it be that social distancing rules affect access to the scanning
equipment? Just a thought.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an audio copy of New Scientist coming from RNIB in Gateshead. It was
for August 29, they sent me another, its not arrived either, yet last weeks
for 6th Sept came the Monday.
I'm sure we have a dyslexic postman on our round every other day, so god
knows where some of my mail goes.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
Harry Bloomfield; "Esq." wrote in message
Why do the call them 48 and 24 hour tracked?

They collected my 48 hour parcel Thursday afternoon, it showed up in the
'National DC' which I assume means Distribution Centre on Friday early
afternoon. It is now Wednesday, which is some 144 hours since RM got their
hands on it, yet they still have not delivered it.

It (tracking) has been suggesting it would be delivered between 6:42 and
10:42am since Saturday morning, but it carefully does not indicate which
day that might be. I have carefully made sure I or someone has been in
since Saturday, to accept it - when they eventually decide to deliver.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott was thinking very hard :
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.

It doesn't explain the useless tracking and 48 has never been an
indication it would be delivered in 48 hours anyway.

Could it be that social distancing rules affect access to the scanning
equipment? Just a thought.

Ignoring the tracking, there is still the issue of them charging for 48
hour delivery and taking three times as long. Why even call it 48, when
even under normal circumstances they do not meet the deadline?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott was thinking very hard :
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many
organisations.

It doesn't explain the useless tracking and 48 has never been an
indication it would be delivered in 48 hours anyway.

Could it be that social distancing rules affect access to the scanning
equipment? Just a thought.

Ignoring the tracking, there is still the issue of them charging for 48
hour delivery and taking three times as long. Why even call it 48, when
even under normal circumstances they do not meet the deadline?

The postmen round here are on staggered, half time working so that they
don't get too near each other. The shifts mean that deliveries can be
late afternoon.

We had no deliveries Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday - despit
expecting stuff.

It all arrived in a very big pile on Tuesday.

Same the week before - all post was in two big bundles on Tuesday and
Friday.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Scott was thinking very hard :
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.

It doesn't explain the useless tracking and 48 has never been an
indication it would be delivered in 48 hours anyway.

Could it be that social distancing rules affect access to the scanning
equipment?* Just a thought.

Ignoring the tracking, there is still the issue of them charging for 48
hour delivery and taking three times as long. Why even call it 48, when
even under normal circumstances they do not meet the deadline?

That reminds me of a conversation I had with a Santander Customer advisor.

He was trying his hardest to sell me their 123 account, which paid 1, 2
or 3% according to the account balance. I asked how long is it going to
stay as high as 3% and his reply was it's got to as it's a 123 account!!

The rest is history and he's still probably there at the same branch.

48 is a gimmick, it pulls in more business than calling it 72!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 09/09/2020, Bob Eager supposed :
The postmen round here are on staggered, half time working so that they
don't get too near each other. The shifts mean that deliveries can be
late afternoon.

We had no deliveries Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday - despit
expecting stuff.

It all arrived in a very big pile on Tuesday.

None of that around here. At its worst, they changed from delivering
the post at between 10 and 12am, to delivering between 7 and 9am, with
the postie going up the street instead of down. A few weeks ago, they
went back to normal delivery and usual times and progress direction
along the street.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At its worst, they changed from delivering the post at between 10 and
12am, to delivering between 7 and 9am

Round here, they used to turn up with two posties in a van, one would
work up the street from there, the other one down the street; they'd
meet back up at the van then ****-off. Now it seems to just be one of
them, so he/she is around a given street for longer ... presume they're
not allowed to share a van?

But I've not noticed parcel deliveries being delayed during lockdown,
delivery predictions have been accurate, maybe some delivery offices are
suffering?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/09/2020 09:18, Andy Burns wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At its worst, they changed from delivering the post at between 10 and
12am, to delivering between 7 and 9am

Round here, they used to turn up with two posties in a van, one would
work up the street from there, the other one down the street; they'd
meet back up at the van then ****-off.* Now it seems to just be one of
them, so he/she is around a given street for longer ... presume they're
not allowed to share a van?

But I've not noticed parcel deliveries being delayed during lockdown,
delivery predictions have been accurate, maybe some delivery offices are
suffering?

Many of the main parcel carriers that many on here complain about seem
to make timely deliveries whilst Royal Mail often have delays of 2 to 3
extra days on their 48 hours delivery service.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 22:38, Fredxx wrote:

He was trying his hardest to sell me their 123 account, which paid 1, 2
or 3% according to the account balance. I asked how long is it going to
stay as high as 3% and his reply was it's got to as it's a 123 account!!

I once had a Egg account which I opened up after TV advertising showing
a competitive (variable) interest + guaranteed 0.5% bonus at the end of
the year if no money was withdrawn. 3 weeks later they cut the variable
part of the interest so the interest plus bonus was less than their
competitors.

It's much like building societies that suddenly reduce the interest paid
on existing accounts but at the same time introduce new types of account
that pay the same interest as that previously paid on the older
accounts. It's up to the customer to notice that they are now being
ripped off and change accounts (or go somewhere else).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 08:20:20 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

on 09/09/2020, Bob Eager supposed :
The postmen round here are on staggered, half time working so that they
don't get too near each other. The shifts mean that deliveries can be
late afternoon.

We had no deliveries Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Monday - despit
expecting stuff.

It all arrived in a very big pile on Tuesday.

None of that around here. At its worst, they changed from delivering
the post at between 10 and 12am, to delivering between 7 and 9am, with
the postie going up the street instead of down. A few weeks ago, they
went back to normal delivery and usual times and progress direction
along the street.

You could always ask the postie though I suggest you should be be
polite rather than argumentative.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 21:46, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:

I'm sure we have a dyslexic postman on our round every other day, so god
knows where some of my mail goes.

I once had to pick up a parcel at one of the carriers depot and I could
see into the warehouse where the person searching for my package was
working. I came to the conclusion that he probably couldn't read and was
"pattern matching". He was going to each package and placing the card
with the delivery reference number next to the label on the packages to
see if they were the same. He had previously asked me for my postcode
which he hadn't written down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Same here. Nothing for ages then a big tranche of stuff, some of it (a letter from the NHS, thankfully nothing urgent) dated ten days ago. Then the very next day a delivery of one item, the latest Private Eye, marked on the cover "Urgent First Class Mail". First time in ages Private Eye's been on time - sometimes it's been a week and a half overdue.

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott was thinking very hard :
You could always ask the postie though I suggest you should be be
polite rather than argumentative.

I am always polite, sometimes ;-)

It is not his fault, I get on well with our posties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Same here, big tranche of stuff, some of it dated 11 days ago - including a letter from the NHS, nothing urgent thankfully. Then the very next day, the latest Private Eye - first time in ages it's been delivered on time!

--
Halmyre
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:46:37 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

[...]

If they can. There may be early withdrawal penalties. In the example
cited above this would result in loss of the bonus.

On an unrelated note, I have a zero standing charge electricity tariff
for my lock-up garage. The supplier has just been sold to British
Gas. I wonder how long this tariff will last. There is no guarantee
that I will be able to get a better deal elsewhere.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

meet back up at the van then ****-off.Â* Now it seems to just be one of
them, so he/she is around a given street for longer ... presume they're
not allowed to share a van?

But I've not noticed parcel deliveries being delayed during lockdown,
delivery predictions have been accurate, maybe some delivery offices are
suffering?

Many of the main parcel carriers that many on here complain about seem
to make timely deliveries whilst Royal Mail often have delays of 2 to 3
extra days on their 48 hours delivery service.

They seem pretty reliable round here. Is this a local problem?

--
Roger Hayter

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter laid this down on his screen :
They seem pretty reliable round here. Is this a local problem?

I have just found Royal Mail's enquiry number and asked them where my
parcel has got to. They say their tracking system shows it as having
arrived at their National Distribution Centre last Friday morning and
it is still sat there 6 days later. They say leave it until the 15th,
then contact the seller to make a claim of none delivery.

Something ordered yesterday on a 24 hour service, arrived an hour ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 09:56:20 +0100, Harry Bloomfield, Esq.
wrote:

Scott was thinking very hard :
You could always ask the postie though I suggest you should be be
polite rather than argumentative.

I am always polite, sometimes ;-)

It is not his fault, I get on well with our posties.

Exactly. If you were pose the question in a polite and conversational
manner, you would still get on well with your posties :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

At its worst, they changed from delivering the post at between 10 and
12am, to delivering between 7 and 9am

Round here, they used to turn up with two posties in a van, one would
work up the street from there, the other one down the street; they'd
meet back up at the van then ****-off.* Now it seems to just be one of
them, so he/she is around a given street for longer ... presume they're
not allowed to share a van?

A common way is for odd numbers to be delivered in ascending order and
even numbers in descending order so s/he walks up one side of the street
and down the other.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I think these days and out in the sticks we get mail delivery every
other day even if the service is notionally "daily". It could be
sampling error though since I see the postman in the village most days.

Same the week before - all post was in two big bundles on Tuesday
and Friday.

Same here. Nothing for ages then a big tranche of stuff, some of it
(a letter from the NHS, thankfully nothing urgent) dated ten days
ago. Then the very next day a delivery of one item, the latest
Private Eye, marked on the cover "Urgent First Class Mail". First
time in ages Private Eye's been on time - sometimes it's been a week
and a half overdue.

NHS can be batch printed a weekly and bulk mailed so the date on the
letter has almost no relation to the date when it entered Royal Mail.

Incidentally does your NHS letter typically have the postcode obscured
because they have changed the stock of windowed envelopes recently.
Inability to see the postcode slows down the mail sorting process. It is
an unforgivable error on bulk mailings.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Round here, they used to turn up with two posties in a van, one would
work up the street from there, the other one down the street;

A common way is for odd numbers to be delivered in ascending order and
even numbers in descending order so s/he walks up one side of the street
and down the other.

They must love sorting the round for streets with boustrophedon
numbering ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 10 Sep 2020 12:07:00 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Max Demian wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Round here, they used to turn up with two posties in a van, one would
work up the street from there, the other one down the street;

A common way is for odd numbers to be delivered in ascending order and
even numbers in descending order so s/he walks up one side of the street
and down the other.

They must love sorting the round for streets with boustrophedon
numbering ...

Or a road in London - I was looking for a number and it wasn't 'where it
should be'. Turned out that there were two streets joined into one and the
numbers were still the same and the street simply had two names. The 'joint'
wasn't obvious.
Another, in Northampton, keeps its name and numbering except for the missing
ones where a main road cuts through. It's also two distinct parts that
aren't accessible from each other. I was about 50m from where I wanted and
no idea how to get there.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/09/2020 20:46, Scott wrote:
I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is causing disruption to many organisations.

I think it's because there is an emergency involving some sort of
coronavirus pandemic that is being used as an excuse by many organisations.

Andy