Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Move shower pump to loft?

Our hot water cylinder and shower pump are located in a bedroom. The shower is on the other side of the wall. The shower pump is a Stuart Turner Showermate Standard Twin, which I think has plastic impellers and is quite noisy, especially for a bedroom. The pump is located at the base of the hot water cylinder. I think the cylinder has a Surrey Flange at the outlet.

I am wondering whether we could move the pump to the loft (above the bathroom) to reduce the noise. Would that be a good idea or is it not recommended to have the shower pump above the hot water cylinder?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Aldrich wrote:

The pump is located at the base of the hot water cylinder.
I am wondering whether we could move the pump to the loft

Would there still be any head between the bottom of cold tank and the
pump? If not you'd need to swap to a negative head pump.

Otherwise it's do-able, you need an anti-gravity loop on the output of
your flange to stop air getting sucked into pump, a non-return valve on
the output of the hot side of the pump, and air vents on both hot and
cold plumbing above the shower

see e.g. fig 4

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1001753.pdf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 08:57:51 -0700 (PDT), David Aldrich
wrote:

Our hot water cylinder and shower pump are located in a bedroom. The shower is on the other side of the wall. The shower pump is a Stuart Turner Showermate Standard Twin, which I think has plastic impellers and is quite noisy, especially for a bedroom. The pump is located at the base of the hot water cylinder. I think the cylinder has a Surrey Flange at the outlet.

I am wondering whether we could move the pump to the loft (above the bathroom) to reduce the noise. Would that be a good idea or is it not recommended to have the shower pump above the hot water cylinder?

Daughter had to get her pump replaced by plumber who fitted in the
loft to suck up from the tank - against the pump instructions to be by
the tank so it pushes. Re-fitted in the airing cupboard (in bedroom)
and noisy - but does not bother her as she is in the shower...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 5:34:27 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
David Aldrich wrote:

The pump is located at the base of the hot water cylinder.
I am wondering whether we could move the pump to the loft

Would there still be any head between the bottom of cold tank and the
pump? If not you'd need to swap to a negative head pump.

Otherwise it's do-able, you need an anti-gravity loop on the output of
your flange to stop air getting sucked into pump, a non-return valve on
the output of the hot side of the pump, and air vents on both hot and
cold plumbing above the shower

see e.g. fig 4

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1001753.pdf

Thanks for your help. Given what you have written, and the fact that there wouldn't be any head between the cold tank and the pump, I think it's probably best to leave it where it is. Perhaps I should buy a quieter pump.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Aldrich wrote:

The pump is located at the base of the hot water cylinder.
I am wondering whether we could move the pump to the loft

Would there still be any head between the bottom of cold tank and the
pump? If not you'd need to swap to a negative head pump.

Otherwise it's do-able, you need an anti-gravity loop on the output of
your flange to stop air getting sucked into pump, a non-return valve on
the output of the hot side of the pump, and air vents on both hot and
cold plumbing above the shower

see e.g. fig 4

http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com/pdf/pa_1001753.pdf

Thanks for your help. Given what you have written, and the fact that there wouldn't be any head between the cold tank and the pump, I think it's probably best to leave it where it is. Perhaps I should buy a quieter pump.

How is the pump fixed? Has the current pump got anti-vibration couplers
fitted correctly (see page 10 of the pdf)?

--

Jeff