Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable TV remote control reassembly

This is a real puzzle. My daughter dropped her remote control and it came apart. There are three pieces: the top and bottom of the case, the circuit board, and the silicone rubber(?) strip with all the keys. Putting it back together is child's play - the circuit board fits into the case bottom, the keypad fits into the case top, and the two halves click together. But the keys do not stay firmly protruding from the case, they fall down inside, so the tips are level with the surface. Needless to say the control doesn't work.

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top. She swears that there was no other part to be found when the case split open. I have an identical control, but I am reluctant to take it apart in case I run into the same problem.

I can't see who made the control (it only shows the name of the cable company (VTR) here in Chile), but I'm guessing that most controls use a very similar design. I'm usually able to figure out how things work, and often able to fix them, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gib
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Of course I meant to say 4 pieces
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 10:47:11 AM UTC-4, Gib Bogle wrote:
This is a real puzzle. My daughter dropped her remote control and it came apart. There are three pieces: the top and bottom of the case, the circuit board, and the silicone rubber(?) strip with all the keys.

four pieces
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top.

photos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 10:59:10 AM UTC-4, Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top.

photos?

How do I attach photos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

How do I attach photos?

Binary attachments won't make it through, you have to upload them to an
image sharing site (imgbb, google photos, flikr etc) then provide a link
here.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top.

photos?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the difference in how far the keys protrude.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 07:47:06 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle
wrote:

[...]

Hello from the other side of the Andes.

Here in Argentina the cable companies seem to give pretty good service
with replacement items and all sorts of people offer fix-it services
on Mercadolibre. If all else fails, try them.

As far as posting photos, this is a text newsgroup so attachments do
not work. Most people post pictures on web sites like Instagram and
then put a link in the usenet post for readers to go and take a look.

Good luck!

Nick
Buenos Aires

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the difference in how far the keys protrude.

Doesn't look far differenyt from any remote I've disassembled, wouldn't
expect any extra pieces.

Do the little "pegs" of silicone fit into holes in the PCB before
re-assembly?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone

keypad
tightly against the case top.

It's normally the PCB.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...YybJgnfIqp0SxY
?usp=sharing

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the
difference in how far the keys protrude.

Only seemes to be buttons in the middle. Are you sure that the two
plastic bits either side of the board just as it widens are supposed
to be either side and not on the back of the board supporting it
against button pushes?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 12:07:29 PM UTC-4, Andy Burns wrote:
Gib Bogle wrote:

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the difference in how far the keys protrude.

Doesn't look far differenyt from any remote I've disassembled, wouldn't
expect any extra pieces.

Do the little "pegs" of silicone fit into holes in the PCB before
re-assembly?

There are 8 little pegs on the key side of the silicone, that fit into hole in the case top. There are 4 pegs (2 at each end) on the other side, but no corresponding holes in the PCB.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top.

photos?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the difference in how far the keys protrude.

The height of the PCB normally holds the keypad snug. Has the PCB
dropped in height somehow, particularly in the centre.

With it assembled, compare both by looking in the battery compartment at
the rear.

There seem to be two posts clipping the sides of the PCB midway. Might
be these posts meant to be behind the PCB instead?

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 12:13:26 PM UTC-4, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 08:48:31 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone

keypad
tightly against the case top.

It's normally the PCB.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...YybJgnfIqp0SxY
?usp=sharing

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the
difference in how far the keys protrude.

Only seemes to be buttons in the middle. Are you sure that the two
plastic bits either side of the board just as it widens are supposed
to be either side and not on the back of the board supporting it
against button pushes?

--
Cheers
Dave.

The pic makes the difference obvious near the middle, but in fact all the buttons are loose, totally different from my control. If the board supports the silicone all the contacts are made, since the contacts are proud of the silicone. There is no other way for the PCB to be installed in the case.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Nick. My daughter is prepared to buy another one, but I want to fix the damned thing! This is a challenge to my manhood!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top.
photos?

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

The comparison pic shows my control and the faulty one. You can see the difference in how far the keys protrude.

The height of the PCB normally holds the keypad snug. Has the PCB
dropped in height somehow, particularly in the centre.

With it assembled, compare both by looking in the battery compartment at
the rear.

There seem to be two posts clipping the sides of the PCB midway. Might
be these posts meant to be behind the PCB instead?

--
Adrian C

No, as I replied to another person, there is no other way for the PCB to sit in the case, and anyway the silicone must sit above the PCB, otherwise there is no space for a button to push down to make contact when the key is pressed. The only way I can see it working is for the silicone to be attached to the case upper (i.e. separated from the PCB) but there is no sign of glue, and I don't know what could be used to glue silicone. It is baffling..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 16:48, Gib Bogle wrote:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

It wants a password. Use something else.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 1:00:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 05/09/2020 16:48, Gib Bogle wrote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

It wants a password. Use something else.

Bill

Odd. I selected sharing with anyone, and it says "Anyone on the internet with this link can view"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 10:22:09 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle
wrote:

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 1:00:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 05/09/2020 16:48, Gib Bogle wrote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

It wants a password. Use something else.

Bill

Odd. I selected sharing with anyone, and it says "Anyone on the internet with this link can view"

Works for me. I specifically eschew Google Drive or anything else
remotely cloudy for my own storage so no pre-existing accounts or
passwords were involved.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 15:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
[...]

Not that it might have anything to do with your problem, but why in the
picture on the right (pieces.jpg) is the right-hand side of the case -
with the back of the keypad showing - upside down with respect to the
left-hand side of the case? They will not fit together that way.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 4:28:36 PM UTC-4, Jeff Layman wrote:
[...]

You are right, they wouldn't fit together that way. But it's only a photo. There is also a photo of the control assembled.
As I said at the start, the pieces are very easily assembled, but the silicone keypad is loose instead of tight against the case.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 17:04, Nick Odell wrote:
Hello from the other side of the Andes.

The other side of my andies is hairy.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 09:28:37 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

If the board supports the silicone all the contacts are made, since the contacts are proud of the silicone.

That's unusual. the conductive bit of each button is normally
ressesed until pushed. It then becomes proud and makes contact with
the board.

I think there must be perforated frame that sits between the silicone
buttons and the board that has done a ping****it. This frame would
keep the proud button contacts clear of the board and to hold the
membrane in place against the case top.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 5:23:11 PM UTC-4, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 09:28:37 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

If the board supports the silicone all the contacts are made, since the contacts are proud of the silicone.

That's unusual. the conductive bit of each button is normally
ressesed until pushed. It then becomes proud and makes contact with
the board.

I think there must be perforated frame that sits between the silicone
buttons and the board that has done a ping****it. This frame would
keep the proud button contacts clear of the board and to hold the
membrane in place against the case top.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I agree Dave. That's all I can think of. But my daughter insists that there was no other piece, and such a frame would be quite big, hard to lose. But not impossible. Maybe it went under the fridge. I'll pass your message on to her and suggest that she does a more thorough search.
Cheers,
Gib
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:
On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 1:00:36 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On 05/09/2020 16:48, Gib Bogle wrote:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...xY?usp=sharing

It wants a password. Use something else.

Bill

Odd. I selected sharing with anyone, and it says "Anyone on the internet with this link can view"

Works fine here.

It's possible someone who has a Google Drive account would get
prompted to log into their own Google Drive (because Google
loves to copy stuff to another drive as a free means of
using up the users capacity).

Looking at your picture of the two assembled remotes, the one with the
buttons not at the right height, it appears the buttons in
the center are the least high, the ones on the ends are almost
the right height. As if the PCB is bowed a bit. See if you can
find anything in the middle of the remote, causing the PCB to
not sit down. Usually there are two alignment posts in the middle
of the plastic body, that have to clear the PCB and they hold the
PCB centered within the remote.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well, in one remote here there is a kind of slide in slot in the top half
which holds both the rubber bit and the board. Its not mega strong though
until you clip the bottom bit back on. The trouble is there seem to be
almost infinite variations on this theme from what I've heard. Thus if you
put the board in the bottom it will all rattle about inside. The tell tale
is the position of the battery connections being a bit wrong and wobbly.
Of course as has been said, there could be some bits missing like a spacer.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Gib Bogle wrote:

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad
tightly against the case top.

photos?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Gib Bogle wrote:

As I said at the start, the pieces are very easily assembled

does it screw or clip together? If the latter are the halves pressed
firmly enough together?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 15:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

I agree Dave. That's all I can think of. But my daughter insists that there was no other piece, and such a frame would be quite big, hard to
lose. But not impossible. Maybe it went under the fridge.

Or the cooker...

Time to carefully open yours up I think to find out how it is
supposed to go to go together and to show daughter the missing part.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, September 6, 2020 at 6:35:31 AM UTC-3, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 15:08:08 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle wrote:

I agree Dave. That's all I can think of. But my daughter insists that there was no other piece, and such a frame would be quite big, hard to
lose. But not impossible. Maybe it went under the fridge.

Or the cooker...

Time to carefully open yours up I think to find out how it is
supposed to go to go together and to show daughter the missing part.
B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

She swears that she has looked everywhere thoroughly (including under the fridge), and that she couldn't miss a piece like that. I don't think there is space under the cooker. Mind you, she is caring for two babies under the age of two, and her mind is a bit overloaded. The way the unit clips together makes it hard to pull apart, so I'm reluctant to do it. I am extremely curious though ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 5 Sep 2020 13:47:13 -0700 (PDT), Gib Bogle
wrote:

[...]

Your first photo seems to show a gap between the two halves, as if
they are not fully clicked together?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]