Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gib Bogle[_5_] Gib Bogle[_5_] is offline

Default Cable TV remote control reassembly

On Saturday, September 5, 2020 at 4:28:36 PM UTC-4, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 05/09/2020 15:47, Gib Bogle wrote:
This is a real puzzle. My daughter dropped her remote control and it came apart. There are three pieces: the top and bottom of the case, the circuit board, and the silicone rubber(?) strip with all the keys. Putting it back together is child's play - the circuit board fits into the case bottom, the keypad fits into the case top, and the two halves click together. But the keys do not stay firmly protruding from the case, they fall down inside, so the tips are level with the surface. Needless to say the control doesn't work.

Neither of us can see what is supposed to retain the silicone keypad tightly against the case top. She swears that there was no other part to be found when the case split open. I have an identical control, but I am reluctant to take it apart in case I run into the same problem.

I can't see who made the control (it only shows the name of the cable company (VTR) here in Chile), but I'm guessing that most controls use a very similar design. I'm usually able to figure out how things work, and often able to fix them, but this one has me stumped. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Gib

Not that it might have anything to do with your problem, but why in the
picture on the right (pieces.jpg) is the right-hand side of the case -
with the back of the keypad showing - upside down with respect to the
left-hand side of the case? They will not fit together that way.

--

Jeff

You are right, they wouldn't fit together that way. But it's only a photo. There is also a photo of the control assembled.
As I said at the start, the pieces are very easily assembled, but the silicone keypad is loose instead of tight against the case.