Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damned fly

For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

Irksome little 'kers.
Invest in some rubber bands and zap 'em.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

You need our cat.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:26, R D S wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon
die?
Where does their energy come from?

You need our cat.

My dogs are not bad either (provided they can reach them).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 12:14:25 GMT, JohnP wrote:

For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room?

Depends.

Will it soon die?

I doubt it, unless it gets tapped somewhere or you are very good at
keeping all foodstuffs away.

Where does their energy come from?

Food, same as us.

I'd just leave a window open and let it get back out to do it's thing.

https://sciencing.com/importance-flies-10016971.html
https://blog.csiro.au/five-reasons-flies-are-awesome/

Fly lava (maggots) have been used for cleaning wounds on humans for
many years (without antibiotics etc).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

use fly paper kill the *******
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

we bought a £10 fruit box from a farm and we now have those mini fruit
fly's everywhere.....so much for not buying from supermarkets....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

Often they just want to get out - so just open a window.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon die?
Where does their energy come from?

I've found that my Dyson takes care of those irritating beasties.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 13:23, Richard wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon
die?
Where does their energy come from?

Irksome little 'kers.
Invest in some rubber bands and zap 'em.

Those playful days of the 50's and 60's. As kids, we were encouraged
to have elastic 'guns' for that very purpose.

A rare sight these days. In the last couple of years I did have one
that landed on one of my monitors. As I moved the mouse pointer to
disturb it, I was amused by the fact that it hurriedly walked about the
screen, almost pouncing, following the pointer for a few seconds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 14:59, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon
die?
Where does their energy come from?

we bought a £10 fruit box from a farm and we now have those mini fruit
fly's everywhere.....so much for not buying from supermarkets....

LOL, the same has happened to me. They lasted a few years showing only
in summer.

The same thing happened with small silver moths that appear each summer.
In the first year I was infested. In year one or, two, I eventually
found what I would consider the breeding grounds which was A4 sized,
open top, plastic containers which is part of a set of different types
of printing paper that I store below the worktop. It was layered with
dead moths at the bottom of the paper stack.

I cleaned that, and the other containers and the numbers after 7 years
are down to very few, but, not gone.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 15:00, Farmer Giles wrote:
On 04/09/2020 13:14, JohnP wrote:
For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room? Will it soon
die?
Where does their energy come from?

Often they just want to get out - so just open a window.

And during the dark hours they will follow the light from room to room
and will leave by the door if done right.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 19:40, RayL12 wrote:
[...]

stick an ioniser in the empty room and zap them all....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Farmer Giles wrote:

JohnP wrote:

For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room?

Often they just want to get out

About time they learned to go around the frame rather than keep trying
to going through the glass ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 20:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Farmer Giles wrote:

JohnP wrote:

For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room?

Often they just want to get out

About time they learned to go around the frame rather than keep trying
to going through the glass ...

LOL, I wonder then, if a mirror was hung facing the 'bridge' between
window frames, would the bug fumble it's way out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 04 Sep 2020 14:09:44 +0100, T i m wrote:

For how many days can a humble fly annoy me in the room?

For as long as you let it bug you.

A fly, singular, what are you getting upset about?

Having been in a place where flys would be crawling over your skin,
for long enough to not notice them at all. Even when feeding on your
blood from a scratch... A single fly is nothing.

I'd just leave a window open and let it get back out to do it's thing.

Might work or the fly will just invite his mates in...

If it's really that annoying just catch it. Easy to do, just tear a
sheet of kitchen roll in half, fold each bit in half and pinch the
center between fingers and thumb, one bit in each hand. Slowly
approach settled fly making small circular motions with the folded
kitchen roll. When a couple of inches away strike with both hands
simultaneously and the chances are fly will be squiged in the kitchen
roll. Supposed theory is that the flys brain can't cope with two
approaching threats at the same time so sits still allowing you to
get close enough so that when you strike even if the fly does take
off it hasn't the time to escape.

https://sciencing.com/importance-flies-10016971.html
https://blog.csiro.au/five-reasons-flies-are-awesome/

Fly lava (maggots) have been used for cleaning wounds on humans for
many years (without antibiotics etc).

Aye, they only eat dead flesh so are great for cleaning out dead
tissue, the result of a crush injury say, from deep cavity/tunnel
like wounds that would otherwise be very difficult to clean/remove
the dead tissue from.

There was some talk of maggots when I had a crush wound on my leg,
tunnel well under the skin about 1 1/2" long, maybe 1/4" dia. But it
responded well to the use of colloidal (IIRC) wound packing materials
that where changed daily for about two weeks.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A fly, singular, what are you getting upset about?

Curious about the energy needed to actually keep flying!