Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Microwave turntable motor

I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible.
I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor

yes, you generally "go in" by cutting/snapping pre-formed metal tabs in
the bottom, that are specifically for turntable motor replacement, just
take "normal" precautions like unplug it first.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2020 16:09, ss wrote:
I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible.
I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.

There are some very dangerous voltages and capacitors inside the unit.

I wouldn't say it was entirely safe to DIY a motor swap but provided you
don't stick you fingers anywhere stupid it ought to be possible. More
importantly take good care dismantling it and reassembling it again.

The integrity of the microwave screening and door interlocks is an
important part of the safety system. You don't want it leaking or able
to come on with the door open.

I once walked into a lab where a guy had dismantled a 1kW microwave oven
and had it powering a microwave helium plasma on the open bench with no
RF screening at all. It was a lovely orange pink plasma. I left PDQ.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin Brown wrote:

I wouldn't say it was entirely safe to DIY a motor swap but provided you
don't stick you fingers anywhere stupid it ought to be possible. More
importantly take good care dismantling it and reassembling it again.

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/09/2020 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

Cheers Andy watching that link I should be ok with that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 03/09/2020, ss supposed :
I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible.
I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.

When running there are dangerous high voltages and dangerous RF
currents floating about inside. When not running there is no RF, but
voltages can still be stored for a time by capacitors. These capacitors
are fitted with resistors to discharge them, but sometimes the
resistors can fail, leaving the voltages in place. Leaving the
microwave unplugged for 24 hours, should see these voltages safely
dissipated, even if the resistor has failed.

Most engineers will be able to identify the capacitors and short them
out with a screwdriver, rendering them safe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 3 September 2020 16:10:08 UTC+1, ss wrote:
I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible.
I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.

TT motors are normally accessed via the middle of the bottom of the machine.. There has no exposure to the lethal voltage that can lurk elsewhere. Replacing a motor also has no effect on rf sheilding, assuming you don't do anything daft like drill holes in the thing. You just need a new motor & a few short screws to put the cover back with.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2020 16:12, Andy Burns wrote:
ss wrote:

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so
my turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for
non electrician (me) to replace the motor

yes, you generally "go in" by cutting/snapping pre-formed metal tabs in
the bottom, that are specifically for turntable motor replacement, just
take "normal" precautions like unplug it first.

Indeed, I just bent and snapped them before I found a YouTube video.

Having snipped the four tentacles, there is no way to refix it without
a couple of meccano fishplates. I knew I should have kept mine.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2020 16:44, ss wrote:
On 03/09/2020 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

Cheers Andy watching that link I should be ok with that.

The high voltage stuff will be on the side of the oven behind the keypad
and controls. All you are doing is opening a 'man hole cover' in the
centre of the base.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2020 16:44, ss wrote:
On 03/09/2020 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

Cheers Andy watching that link I should be ok with that.

be careful not to lose the bolt(s) that are fixing the motor
to the chassis while it is up-ended.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It cannot run as long as the door is open, and even if it did, most modern
ones seeing a very weird swr, will chop the power in a second or so, Not
long enough to do any real harm, unless you happen to be holding a metal
tool at the time!
I imagine that where the drive system is, is not where the microwaves will
go, or it would not last very long, and as long as its unplugged about half
an hour before you dismantle anything it will have discharged at the
magnetron end, though it might be that you only need to get at the bottom in
any case.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ss" wrote in message
I have read previous post re turntable however my question is....

I have read the dangers of messing with a microwave (high voltage) so my
turntable has failed, with normal precautions is it quite safe for non
electrician (me) to replace the motor if possible.
I think my underlying fear is the micro wave part zapping me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Most engineers will be able to identify the capacitors
and
short them out with a screwdriver, === ****, No!!!
rendering them safe

Causing loss of an eardrum.

Always work out the joules using 1/2*C*V^2 .

https://www.softschools.com/formulas...y_formula/518/

That microwave capacitor is one of the most energetic
capacitors in your house! If you place a screwdriver
across it, the noise from the discharge is so loud,
it's more effective than a gunshot at removing hearing.

That's why you *don't* stick screwdrivers across everything !!!

*******

I lost the hearing in my right ear for ten minutes because
of a microwave oven.

The departmental microwave oven at work, was used by a
series of fools, to cook their bags of buttered popcorn.
A mixture of butter, salt, and vapor from the popped corn
goes all through the thing. Even though it has a conformal
coating on the PCB, that doesn't cover everything.

I came along at 8PM to heat up my supper in the departmental
microwave, when the salt from the popcorn caused the
main cap (5kV) to short out. The sound was so loud, I couldn't
hear anything in the ear facing the microwave, for ten minutes.

*Don't* emulate my experience with the screwdriver method.
Just *don't*.

*******

To safely discharge a microwave oven, requires an appropriately
sized *resistor*. The resistor is likely to be a large value,
like 1,000,000 ohms, not the 0 ohms of a screwdriver blade.
And, I won't be telling you how to do this either. Maybe the
value isn't 1 megohm. Maybe it's 10 megohms. If you know
how to work it out, why you're working it out, maybe you're
ready to work on HV.

How do you connect the resistor to the cap ? Do you have linesmans
gloves when you grab and fit the alligator clip ? Do you have a
100:1 or 1000:1 probe to connect to your multimeter to make
safety measurements ? What happens if the resistor falls off
while you're working ? There are a lot of things you have to
know, when working around HV.

Caps have bounceback behavior. Do the following thought experiment.
5kV cap charged to 4900 VDC. Short it out with your resistor.
Remove the resistor. Wait two minutes. Measure. It measures 800V!!!
Connect the resistor for 20 seconds more. Remove resistor. Wait two minutes.
Measure. It measures 200V!!! Still dangerous. Still heart failure
material for you pacemaker folks. That's why you leave the
resistor connected... and you're concerned about the resistor
connections falling off. Each dielectric material has different
behavior in this regard - some materials are much worse than others
when it comes to the bounceback behavior.

I don't want anyone else to learn about this stuff,
the way I learned about it.

**** the screwdriver!!! Think *resistor*. Safety first.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul wrote :
Causing loss of an eardrum.

You should use a screwdriver to ensure they are safe, not your ear.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/09/2020 21:48, Paul wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

[...]

I'm pleased someone has commented on this. Many years ago I was
developing a high definition CRT computer monitor and had problems with
"jitter" caused by a stray magnetic field from somewhere. In my attempts
to find the source of the problem I built a humongous capacitor bank so
I could bypass the PSU input stage and run (for a short time) from DC; I
forgot about the need for bleed resistors, or any safety interlocks,
because this was just a quick lash-up. The thing had been switched-off
for a while when I casually shorted the bank before doing any more work.
The bang was astonishing (literally), I couldn't hear for a long time,
and several people came running to the lab. The screwdriver I'd used was
no more.
I'd like to say that was the last stupid thing I did, but there have
probably been several since then ;-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 03/09/2020 20:17, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
It cannot run as long as the door is open, and even if it did, most modern
ones seeing a very weird swr, will chop the power in a second or so, Not
long enough to do any real harm, unless you happen to be holding a metal
tool at the time!
I imagine that where the drive system is, is not where the microwaves will
go, or it would not last very long, and as long as its unplugged about half
an hour before you dismantle anything it will have discharged at the
magnetron end, though it might be that you only need to get at the bottom in
any case.
Brian

I have accessed and removed the turntable motor and ordered a new one,
was easy to do, it was as per replies on the bottom of the microwave,
nowhere near the dangerous parts.

One more question, wife is away on a weeks hols but pre cooked a load of
meals for me, will it be ok to still use the microwave despite the
turntable being static.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 4 September 2020 21:45:48 UTC+1, ss wrote:
[...]

yes, but turn the food frequently & bear in mind in such a state there is significantly increased risk of food poisoning due to cold spots in the food. Fine for soups, not so good for a chunk of meat.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 03/09/2020 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

I once had to swap the oven element on a brand new cooker!

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

will it be ok to still use the microwave despite the turntable being static.

You'll get patch heating of the food, stop it at turn/move it at 15
second intervals, then leave it for a minute to even out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/09/2020 21:45, ss wrote:
I have accessed and removed the turntable motor and ordered a new one,
was easy to do, it was as per replies on the bottom of the microwave,
nowhere near the dangerous parts.

One more question, wife is away on a weeks hols but pre cooked a load of
meals for me, will it be ok to still use the microwave despite the
turntable being static.

As others have said the food should be OK.

But you say that you have removed the motor - you will need to make sure
there's no exposed parts of the connectors which could short out when
power is applied to the motor circuit. The spade connectors should have
insulating covers but the ends of the connectors sometimes project a
little from the covers and sometimes they don't even have covers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 05/09/2020 10:56, Mike Clarke wrote:
As others have said the food should be OK.

But you say that you have removed the motor - you will need to make sure
there's no exposed parts of the connectors which could short out when
power is applied to the motor circuit. The spade connectors should have
insulating covers but the ends of the connectors sometimes project a
little from the covers and sometimes they don't even have covers.

Yes I have made sure they are insulated.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:

The spade connectors should have insulating covers

You think manufacturers who penny-pinch by making the end-user cut the
"hatch" open, and don't provide a self-tapper to fix it back in place,
pay extra for insulated spade connectors?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:
[...]

The microwave is a bit of a beam.

There were two methods to deal with it.

At one time, there was a "stirrer" which rotated
and deflected the beam so that it hit more parts
of the food item. The stirrer was moved by the
energy from the beam. It was intended as a
totally passive solution. Sometimes, the
stirrer would get stuck (depending on your
hygiene and cleaning skills - I've seen microwaves
where ever crevice is filled with exploded egg
parts, or maybe egg&cheese mix).

Then, they decided rather than a stirrer, they'd just
rotate the food on a turntable. Rotating the food
is a superior method. The stirrer had the occasional
gotcha.

*******

Now, back home, we had a "wind up turntable". It had
a large clockwork spring inside. You could rotate against
that spring, maybe 20 times. And when released, the
turntable would rotate at slow speed, long enough to
heat up food without the (portable) turntable stopping.

Sample of a wind up turntable. Intended to sit flat on
the bottom of an ancient microwave with a flat bottom
and no motorized turntable. I think this is made from
a substance similar to microwave-safe cookware. Obviously,
the metal bits inside cannot be "visible" to the microwaves,
so the gap between the top and bottom sections must be fairly
tight. I'm really surprised these are still for sale
(surely all the new microwaves have a motor).

https://www.amazon.ca/Nordic-Ware-MI.../dp/B00004W4UT

You could take a stirrer-type microwave, one where you were
sick of the poor results, and put the wind-up rotator
on the bottom and stick your lunch on it. Between
whatever the stirrer could manage to do with the
beam, and the turntable, you got a good result
(fairly uniform heating).

If the cooking operation was going to take an extensive
time, pull up a chair and be ready for a "stop, and rewind" :-)
It's fine for heating up leftovers, but not for some
two hour culinary exercise. You'd go nuts from having
to wind it up again. I seem to remember having to wind
it up again, half way through some cooking exercise,
because the spring couldn't last that long.

Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 11:18, Paul wrote:
ss wrote:
On 03/09/2020 20:17, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
It cannot run as long as the door is open, and even if it did, most
modern
ones seeing a very weird swr, will chop the power in a second or so, Not
long enough to do any real harm, unless you happen to be holding a metal
tool at the time!
I imagine that where the drive system is, is not where the microwaves
will
go, or it would not last very long, and as long as its unplugged
about half
an hour before you dismantle anything it will have discharged at the
magnetron end, though it might be that you only need to get at the
bottom in
any case.
Â* Brian

[...]

I thought that the turntable came first, then the stirrer, the latter
allowing more stuff in the oven as a rotating object could hit the
sides. BICBR.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 5 September 2020 11:18:22 UTC+1, Paul wrote:
ss wrote:
[...]

2.4GHz is about 4" wavelength. The optics can't focus that. But it is very unevenly distributed, primarily due to cavity reflections. Watch a vid of someone nuking a lightbulb to see how uneven it is.

There were two methods to deal with it.

At one time, there was a "stirrer" which rotated
and deflected the beam so that it hit more parts
of the food item. The stirrer was moved by the
energy from the beam. It was intended as a

stirrers were normally powered by airflow, less often by a motor.

totally passive solution. Sometimes, the
stirrer would get stuck (depending on your
hygiene and cleaning skills - I've seen microwaves
where ever crevice is filled with exploded egg
parts, or maybe egg&cheese mix).

Then, they decided rather than a stirrer, they'd just
rotate the food on a turntable. Rotating the food
is a superior method. The stirrer had the occasional
gotcha.

Yes. The 3rd & best method is to use both.
The other best method is to move to a lower frequency, around 0.9GHz.

[...]

But it costs double the price of a decentish new machine!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 07:16, ARW wrote:
On 03/09/2020 16:29, Bert Coules wrote:
Andy Burns posted:

https://youtu.be/XP3a2qYZcck?t=35

How to replace the motor on a pristine and obviously completely unused
appliance!

I once had to swap the oven element on a brand new cooker!

Austin Mirris did that all the time at Longbridge and Cowley.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/09/2020 11:18, Paul wrote:
Now, back home, we had a "wind up turntable". It had
a large clockwork spring inside. You could rotate against
that spring, maybe 20 times. And when released, the
turntable would rotate at slow speed, long enough to
heat up food without the (portable) turntable stopping.

Invented by Trevor Baylis ?.

(wind-up torch).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew wrote:
On 05/09/2020 11:18, Paul wrote:
Now, back home, we had a "wind up turntable". It had
a large clockwork spring inside. You could rotate against
that spring, maybe 20 times. And when released, the
turntable would rotate at slow speed, long enough to
heat up food without the (portable) turntable stopping.

Invented by Trevor Baylis ?.

(wind-up torch).

My parents had a wind up turntable. It rotated at 78rpm and you could play
gramophone records on it.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 06/09/2020 12:21, charles wrote:
My parents had a wind up turntable. It rotated at 78rpm and you could play
gramophone records on it.

Ha I still have one and a load of 78s to go with it.