Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digigram VX222

This is a quite old balanced in/out pro sound card. Has digital in out too.
Was previously working fine under Win7. But is a PCI card.

New MB is PCI-Ex only.

Got an adpator for not a lot which gives you twin PCI slots from a PCI-EX
x1. Really designed to be used external to the PC via a USB 3 lead. The
USB lead goes between the PCI EX card and the board with the twin PCI
slots.

Worked OK initially on test. It has power as there is a LED on the twin
PCI PCB.

Bios recognises a card present in the PCI-Ex x 1 slot. Doesn't identify it
as such - but then it doesn't identify the working video card either.

According to Google, this card and software will work with Win 10. And the
software runs OK. Win 10 suggests using it as Vista compatible.

The problem is intermittent. More often than not, the software reports the
card not seen - and no driver loaded in device manager.

But sometimes it works just fine.

I can buy a new PCI-Ex card which will do the same thing - but costs about
£1000 quid. ;-)

It all interfaces with the house sound system and worked extremely well.

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Tue, 01 Sep 2020 11:09:14 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

[...]

What class of Win 10 are you using.........Home, Pro, Server. I have found
Win10 Home is very poor at recognising some connecting devices.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
This is a quite old balanced in/out pro sound card. Has digital in out too.
Was previously working fine under Win7. But is a PCI card.

New MB is PCI-Ex only.

Got an adpator for not a lot which gives you twin PCI slots from a PCI-EX
x1. Really designed to be used external to the PC via a USB 3 lead. The
USB lead goes between the PCI EX card and the board with the twin PCI
slots.

Those things are taking liberties with the PCI spec. They
perhaps/maybe/probably work, until they don't. The use of USB 3 cabling is
a massive hack (although electrically it's actually reasonably matched).

I'd trust something like this a bit mo
https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-co.../dp/B0024CV3SA

Of course it's possibly not a hardware problem and just Windows being weird
- it does that.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , jon wrote:
[...]

Win10 Pro.

--
*Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman wrote:

jon wrote:

What class of Win 10 are you using.........Home, Pro, Server. I have
found Win10 Home is very poor at recognising some connecting devices.

Win10 Pro.

Personally, I wouldn't expect a jot of difference between Win10 home and
Win10 pro (or probably Windows Server 2019) as far as PnP device
detection is concerned ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Dave Plowman wrote:

jon wrote:

What class of Win 10 are you using.........Home, Pro, Server. I have
found Win10 Home is very poor at recognising some connecting devices.

Win10 Pro.

Personally, I wouldn't expect a jot of difference between Win10 home and
Win10 pro (or probably Windows Server 2019) as far as PnP device
detection is concerned ...

Nothing Windows can or can't do ever surprises me. ;-) Other snag is it's
a new MB - which seems to be designed with gamers in mind.

But having another look at it, I seemed to have fixed it. I had the PCIe
to USB cable card situated so the cable crossed the video card. Had
forgotten that a PCie x1 can be plugged into a PCIe-16, and there's a
spare of those that would allow a better cable run for the 'USB' cable -
well clear of anything. And so far, so good. It has worked over several
re-boots, so hoping it's fixed once and for all.

--
*Sometimes I wake up grumpy; Other times I let him sleep.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is it sensitive on which usb its using, also some usbs are still older spec
ones while others are not. I fixed this by getting powered hub usb 3 device
and plugging that into the usb3. However if you say it works in Windows 7,
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

Is it sensitive on which usb its using

It's not really USB, it's just USB3 sockets and cable with a single laee
PCIe running over them

Did the problems only start after you cut off and soldered the USB lead?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

Is it sensitive on which usb its using

It's not really USB, it's just USB3 sockets and cable with a single laee
PCIe running over them

Did the problems only start after you cut off and soldered the USB lead?

Sort of yes and no. I couldn't put the card in its place with the USB
connector in place - the plug on the cable fouled the case. But it worked
on test OK outside the case after the cut and solder job. Fitting it
inside the case and the problems started. Although it worked first time
afterwards.

It's been fine for most of the day after relocating the card with the USB
connector to a different PCIe slot. Only a guess, but I'm wondering if the
USB cable going over the video card was zapping it? It's all now well away
from it.

--
*When you've seen one shopping centre you've seen a mall*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I'm wondering if the
USB cable going over the video card was zapping it?

Maybe, although system builders who build high-end M/B and GPU in tiny
cases sometimes use ridiculously long looking ribbon cables from the x16
PCIe slot to wherever they shoe-horn the graphics card.

Plus cryptominers would fit numerous GPUs into a system using similar
PCIe over USB leads ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Sort of yes and no. I couldn't put the card in its place with the USB
connector in place - the plug on the cable fouled the case. But it worked
on test OK outside the case after the cut and solder job. Fitting it
inside the case and the problems started. Although it worked first time
afterwards.

It's been fine for most of the day after relocating the card with the USB
connector to a different PCIe slot. Only a guess, but I'm wondering if the
USB cable going over the video card was zapping it? It's all now well away
from it.

Oh dear. I didn't receive the post where you said you'd cut and soldered
it.

Out of the box this is a hack that's running at 2.5 or 5Gbps (probably 2.5).
Having bodged it further, unless you know what you're doing with making
controlled impedance cabling into the GHz range, it's almost certainly
losing packets due to reflections and interference.

You might be able to find a cable route that reduces the interference, but
if the impedance isn't right it won't be robust. PCIe is remarkable in how
much signal abuse it will cover up, but eventually it runs out of road.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Theo wrote:
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:
Sort of yes and no. I couldn't put the card in its place with the USB
connector in place - the plug on the cable fouled the case. But it
worked on test OK outside the case after the cut and solder job.
Fitting it inside the case and the problems started. Although it
worked first time afterwards.

It's been fine for most of the day after relocating the card with the
USB connector to a different PCIe slot. Only a guess, but I'm
wondering if the USB cable going over the video card was zapping it?
It's all now well away from it.

Oh dear. I didn't receive the post where you said you'd cut and
soldered it.

No option if I wanted the card inside the case.

Out of the box this is a hack that's running at 2.5 or 5Gbps (probably
2.5). Having bodged it further, unless you know what you're doing with
making controlled impedance cabling into the GHz range, it's almost
certainly losing packets due to reflections and interference.

Was very careful with the twisted pairs.

You might be able to find a cable route that reduces the interference,
but if the impedance isn't right it won't be robust. PCIe is remarkable
in how much signal abuse it will cover up, but eventually it runs out of
road.

Seems to be working just fine now. Fingers crossed.

--
*If horrific means to make horrible, does terrific mean to make terrible?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Latest silly.
Zoom refuses to accept the Digigram as the audio out - even although it is
there on its drop down menu. And set in Windows. Bit of a problem, given
that feeds the speakers.

--
*Why is it that doctors call what they do "practice"?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/09/2020 11:09:14, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

snip

The problem is intermittent. More often than not, the software reports the
card not seen - and no driver loaded in device manager.

What happens within device manager when you disable the card, and then
re-enable?

But sometimes it works just fine.

I can buy a new PCI-Ex card which will do the same thing - but costs about
£1000 quid. ;-)

So cheaper to find a MB with a PCI slot.