Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY Milk

Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume with
he oats I used (Flanagans), 20 seconds in a liquidiser, through a tea strainer
twice - produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought. Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk, and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help, and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think) that I
might try - but so far, so good.

You're welcome :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:20:36 +0000, RJH wrote:

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs
shaking before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,
and some shop bought types have certain additives like oil and
flavourings (I think) that I might try - but so far, so good.

Can you do anything with the solid residue or is that just waste?

--
TOJ.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Aug 2020 at 15:50:28 BST, "The Other John" wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:20:36 +0000, RJH wrote:

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs
shaking before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,
and some shop bought types have certain additives like oil and
flavourings (I think) that I might try - but so far, so good.

Can you do anything with the solid residue or is that just waste?

I'm sure somebody could think of something - I've reached peak environmental.
It looks suspiciously like Ready Brek . . .
--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:50:28 +0000 (UTC), The Other John wrote:

Can you do anything with the solid residue or is that just waste?

Compress, air dry and burn?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:20:36 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume with
he oats I used (Flanagans), 20 seconds in a liquidiser, through a tea strainer
twice - produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought. Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk, and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

Excellent. Always good to know if we get caught out (although we
generally keep a reasonable stock of oat and soya milk) and we have
the unsweetened versions in any case.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help, and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think) that I
might try - but so far, so good.

Even the d-i-y version sounds better than the alternative:

https://i.redd.it/m85tm3r85qp21.jpg

You're welcome :-)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I've come across the 'science' explanation of milk/lactose, and how it's not
good beyond childhood. That doesn't really motivate me. It's more animal
welfare, packaging waste, and tightness. Pretty much in that order. I still
have butter and cheese (not much), so baby steps.

You're welcome :-)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. ;-)

So long as you've got some form of blitzer, it's very easy to do. Good luck!

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 17:57:17 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Even the d-i-y version sounds better than the alternative:

https://i.redd.it/m85tm3r85qp21.jpg

I've come across the 'science' explanation of milk/lactose, and how it's not
good beyond childhood.

It isn't ... or I'm guessing none of us would be 'adult lactose
intolerant.

"You aren't lactose intolerant, you just aren't a baby cow". ;-)

And those of us that aren't lactose intolerant as adults have only
become so because of continuous exposure to it (not because it was
natural for us to be).

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yaph5oqs

That doesn't really motivate me.

No, if you can drink it (not lactose intolerant, I'm not) then why
would it?

It's more animal
welfare,

Quite ... and when looking into all this I think that the constant
exploitation of a dairy cow (artificial insemination, taking the calf
away, *huge* quantities of milk and then eventual slaughter (probably
a relief) at 1/5 of their natural lives) makes it worse than feed lot
beef production.

https://ibb.co/74QMVVN

packaging waste,

The old recycled glass bottle seemed like a good idea but someone said
it uses more energy sterilising a glass bottle than making a new
plastic one? I'm not sure if that also takes into consideration the
energy required recycle the plastic or the oil production in the first
place?

and tightness.

;-)

Pretty much in that order.

Yeah, not a bad order IMHO. ;-)

I still
have butter and cheese (not much), so baby steps.

Sure, 'every little helps' as they say.

Daughter is always on the lookout for different Vegan things for us
all to try and she recently got us some Applewoods new smoky flavoured
cheese and I'd have to say it was pretty good.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3oye4q8

(Again, a traditional dairy cheese maker getting in on the fast
growing vegan market).

I've had it in a cheese and tomato sandwich, a cheese and pickle
sandwich and melted on toast and it was good in all of them. It's not
a strong cheddar (my preferred cheese) but it's still way good enough
to satisfy that cheese hankering (and without the animal suffering
etc).

The other one that works very well, especially as a (firm) cheesy dip
is Sainbury's 'Garlic & Herb' soft cheese from their 'Free from'
range:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yys4vzm8

The other one she got us but we haven't tried yet is the 'Epic Mature
(Cheddar flavour) block':

https://violifefoods.com/product/epi...flavour-block/

You're welcome :-)

Thanks, I'll give it a try. ;-)

So long as you've got some form of blitzer, it's very easy to do.

Yup, I think that's one of the few kitchen tools we have got (other
than the standard kettle, toaster (tin opener) and electric pressure
cooker). ;-)

Good luck!

Thanks ... happy to try any interesting ideas. ;-)

https://youtu.be/JJCTIPWPNtw

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2020 15:20, RJH wrote:
Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume with
he oats I used (Flanagans), 20 seconds in a liquidiser, through a tea strainer
twice - produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought. Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk, and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help, and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think) that I
might try - but so far, so good.

Would a coffee filter work better than a sieve? The sort with a cone
and a conical filter paper - we use Melitta.

You're welcome :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2020 20:08:35, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 17:57:17 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Even the d-i-y version sounds better than the alternative:

https://i.redd.it/m85tm3r85qp21.jpg

I've come across the 'science' explanation of milk/lactose, and how it's not
good beyond childhood.

It isn't ... or I'm guessing none of us would be 'adult lactose
intolerant.

It isn't for some. In populations where milk consumption has been
historically low, such as Japan and China, most children will have
stopped producing lactase soon after weaning and €“ producing almost
entire populations that may be unable to absorb the lactose in milk €“
this we call €ślactose intolerance€ť.

In populations where milk consumption has always been high, such as in
Europe, most adults continue to produce lactase for their whole lives
and can digest milk quite happily with only around 5 per cent of the
population being lactose intolerant.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 20:08:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

The old recycled glass bottle seemed like a good idea but someone said
it uses more energy sterilising a glass bottle than making a new
plastic one?

And the extra fuel used in moving the relatively heavy bottles to the
customer and back to the diary to be reused. And, unless the diary
also has a glass works, sending ones at their EOL (after half a dozen
or so trips I believe) off to be remade and returned for use.

I'm not sure if that also takes into consideration the energy required
recycle the plastic or the oil production in the first place?

Or produce the glass in the first place? This were "carbon footprint"
all becomes a bit wishy washy and unreliable as a guide to the
"cradle to grave" enviromental impact of a given product.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 03:35:55 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

On 29/08/2020 20:08:35, T i m wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 17:57:17 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Even the d-i-y version sounds better than the alternative:

https://i.redd.it/m85tm3r85qp21.jpg

I've come across the 'science' explanation of milk/lactose, and how it's not
good beyond childhood.

It isn't ... or I'm guessing none of us would be 'adult lactose
intolerant.

It isn't for some. In populations where milk consumption has been
historically low, such as Japan and China, most children will have
stopped producing lactase soon after weaning and – producing almost
entire populations that may be unable to absorb the lactose in milk –
this we call “lactose intolerance”.

Yup, the default situation for humans.

In populations where milk consumption has always been high, such as in
Europe,

For many thousand years ...

most adults continue to produce lactase for their whole lives
and can digest milk quite happily with only around 5 per cent of the
population being lactose intolerant.

More like between 10 and 20%.

https://www.bupa.co.uk/health-inform...se-intolerance

But the point, that anyone trying to troll this subject will try to
obfuscate is that we (humans) were never *designed* to consume
lactate, *especially that of a different species!* after we have
weaned and have only become tolerant to doing so after thousands of
years of exposure.

https://ibb.co/Pjyhq40

And all this is completely ignoring the animal welfare issues (that
you have regularly stated you DGAF about and prove by drinking milk
and eating meat).

https://ibb.co/74QMVVN

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yyermht2

And who would know more about what *actually* goes on in a dairy farm
and in dairy farming than a dairy farmer.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y82nfxrm

The writing is on the wall ...

Cheers, T i m

https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...range-germany/
https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...ilk-chocolate/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 09:45:43 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 20:08:35 +0100, T i m wrote:

The old recycled glass bottle seemed like a good idea but someone said
it uses more energy sterilising a glass bottle than making a new
plastic one?

And the extra fuel used in moving the relatively heavy bottles to the
customer and back to the diary to be reused.

Much of the recycled plastic is plastic milk bottles so they still
have to be collected (after every use), sorted and reprocessed
(granted that they are lighter than glass).

And, unless the diary
also has a glass works, sending ones at their EOL (after half a dozen
or so trips I believe) off to be remade and returned for use.

Agreed.

I'm not sure if that also takes into consideration the energy required
recycle the plastic or the oil production in the first place?

Or produce the glass in the first place?

True, other than the material used is sand and I don't think we are
short of that. ;-)

This were "carbon footprint"
all becomes a bit wishy washy and unreliable as a guide to the
"cradle to grave" enviromental impact of a given product.

No, but I bet someone has got pretty close (as I think it's an
interesting everyday issue that most older people (especially) have
been party / witness to) to coming up with a number.

The thing is (and ignoring the impracticality of having doorstep
delivery for many these days [1]), with more people having deliveries
these days (Covid19) the weight of a glass bottle becomes less of an
issue, they could go back to glass as they still so with most jams and
pickles etc? And collection could be the same as they do with the
carrier bags.

And this is all while we have the option to consume an ever dwindling
reserve of oil to make the plastic bottles in the first place?

I would be interested to see the full balance sums though.

Cheers, T i m

[1] Or maybe not, given how many more people might be at home (more
retired folk living longer) and working from home.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 10:10:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
But the point, that anyone trying to troll this subject will try to
obfuscate is that we (humans) were never *designed* to consume
lactate,

Were humans *designed* at all?

*especially that of a different species!* after we have
weaned and have only become tolerant to doing so after thousands of
years of exposure.

As we've gone from "ug, ig, og" to "I wondered lonely as a cloud..." it doesn't seem to have done us much harm.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 10:10:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...ilk-chocolate/

Kraft/Mondelez have been developing an alternative to Dairy Milk chocolate for 10 years. It's a palm-oil-based, non-Fairtrade-cocoa, tasteless gritty sludge, and the vegans can stick it up their arse.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 30 Aug 2020 04:36:25 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 10:10:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...ilk-chocolate/

Kraft/Mondelez have been developing an alternative to Dairy Milk chocolate for 10 years.

Ok.

It's a palm-oil-based, non-Fairtrade-cocoa,

Ok, it doesn't have to be either ...

tasteless gritty sludge,

Personal opinion I'm guessing, or they wouldn't still be making /
selling it?

and the vegans can stick it up their arse.

What, so some nasty Vegans have been force feeding you with it have
they? ;-(

Daughter regularly get's me this:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/...e--basics-100g

And a bar of this:

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-G...ucts/293417930

Both of which are very nice.

But then I also care just how much animal suffering (people making
people suffer is another issue, re Fairtrade etc) and for me, that
*is* an important feature of how much enjoyment I get from eating
stuff.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 10:10:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...ilk-chocolate/

Kraft/Mondelez have been developing an alternative to Dairy Milk
chocolate for 10 years. It's a palm-oil-based, non-Fairtrade-cocoa,
tasteless gritty sludge, and the vegans can stick it up their arse.

The Galaxy vegan bars are delicious, just too expensive.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith | Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\WIN | A better way to focus the sun
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 23:19:24 +0100, GB
wrote:

On 29/08/2020 15:20, RJH wrote:
Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume with
he oats I used (Flanagans), 20 seconds in a liquidiser, through a tea strainer
twice - produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought. Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk, and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help, and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think) that I
might try - but so far, so good.

Would a coffee filter work better than a sieve? The sort with a cone
and a conical filter paper - we use Melitta.

Worth a thought when I try later. ;-)

Talking of coffee ... g ... daughter went into a local cafe earlier
(takeaway) and asked for Soy milk coffee (again ... they got some in
for her previously). The server mentioned how many other people were
also asking for (and now able to get, thanks to our daughter) soy milk
(for whatever reason) etc. ;-)

When passing an ice cream van whilst out dog walking the other day we
asked if they stocked any vegan ice-creams and he said he was sorry,
they didn't. We then spoke of them doing a couple of Vegan Magnums and
he said he'd have a look at the wholesalers over the weekend. We
happened to have the dog the next Monday and as we happened passed the
ice cream van we (semi jokingly) asked for a couple of 'vegan ice
creams please' and he put a couple out on the counter. ;-)

Feeling obliged to buy them after asking for them, we had the vegan
offerings on the next couple of visits and on the third time it was
much hotter we fancied a plain water lolly and mentioned that when
buying them. 'You can have what you want' said the guy and 'I'm
selling plenty of the vegan ones in any case'. ;-)

Now I wonder if in the cases above people are still buying the cows
milk alternatives, or not buying anything at all so these were *extra*
sales?

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume

I went for the latter, using a small mug as a measure.

with
he oats I used (Flanagans),

Whatever Aldi sell here. ;-)

20 seconds in a liquidiser,

A bit less than that here as it looks like ours leaks. ;-(

through a tea strainer
twice -

Don't have a tea strainer but even a fineish steel sieve seemed to get
blocked fairly quickly, suggesting it should have been blended longer.

produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought.

Yup, having a cuppa with it now and the Mrs suggested she wouldn't
have said anything had she not been aware of the experiment (but then
we drink oat milk in any case so ...). ;-)

Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk

I can't say I remember as I've not been drinking cows milk for a good
few years now (it used to give me a very mucusy cough, to the point
where sometimes I was nearly sick). ;-(

and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

Started off ok but I think because it wasn't blended / filtered well
enough, I found a bit of sediment towards / in the bottom.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use.

I've put ours in a freshly emptied cordial bottle so it can be kept in
the fridge and shaken before use.

Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,

I will need to get a new blender (and recommendations for a super fine
one anyone)?

and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think)

According to the 1l carton of 'Aldi acti leaf Oat' we have he

Water
Oats (10%)
Sunflower oil
Chicory root fibre
Calcium (calcium phosphates)
Stabilisers
Maltodextrin
Gellan Gum
Sea Salt
Vitamin B12 (who'd have thought g)
Vitamin B2
Vitamin D.

No artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives.

NutritionPer 100ml)
Energy: 48kcal
Fat 1.5g
(saturates) .2g
Carbohydrate 7.7g
(sugars) 3.8g
Fibre .7g
Protein .5g
Salt .09g

Vitamins and minerals: % / RI
Vitamin D .75ug (15%)
Riboflavin (B2) .21mg (15%)
Vitamin B12 .38ug (15%)
Calcium 120mg (15%)

Just seen on Aldi's own site:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/special-diets/vegan

"Homemade oat milk is a great dairy-free alternative. Simply blend a
cup of rolled oats on high speed with 4 cups of water for up to 45
seconds. Then, use a fine mesh strainer, sieve, T-shirt or towel to
strain."

Thank you for the inspiration to give diy oat milk a go Rob. ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume

I went for the latter, using a small mug as a measure.

If anything, I'm finding that ratio too thick

with
he oats I used (Flanagans),

Whatever Aldi sell here. ;-)

Yep, me too usually. They're on recommendation from a friend, and I have had
some of the cheapies resemble dust. But they're so cheap anyway I've stuck
with them. Flahavans BTW, typo

Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,

Tried that. Don't know why, but my tea towels are pretty much impermeable.

I will need to get a new blender (and recommendations for a super fine
one anyone)?

I'm much less than an authority. I use an Aldi smoothie maker. Seems well made
with thick plastics, but the motor does that horrible 'burning' smell - the
start up seems very violent. Had it a couple of years now so maybe it'll go
the course. I paid ÂŁ20-ÂŁ30 from memory. The Which best buys are mostly ÂŁ100+.
An exception of decent capacity is the Tefal Blendforce Blender BL420840 -
might be worth a look.

I mean to try my stick blender - it's a ÂŁ5 Logic from Curry's, had it about 5
years, use once a week for soup. I've worn through the low speed rubber button
cover, but otherwise it makes short work of whatever vegetables I have lying
around.

and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think)

According to the 1l carton of 'Aldi acti leaf Oat' we have he

Water
Oats (10%)
Sunflower oil
Chicory root fibre
Calcium (calcium phosphates)
Stabilisers
Maltodextrin
Gellan Gum
Sea Salt
Vitamin B12 (who'd have thought g)
Vitamin B2
Vitamin D.

I don't feel an urge to try any of that. Maybe a benign preservative, but I
gather the mix lasts 5 days as it is. I put a teaspoon of oil in my last small
batch - no difference that I can see/taste. The Aldi version I get is just
oats and water:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/only-oat-drink/p/702969360441900

Just seen on Aldi's own site:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/special-diets/vegan

"Homemade oat milk is a great dairy-free alternative. Simply blend a
cup of rolled oats on high speed with 4 cups of water for up to 45
seconds. Then, use a fine mesh strainer, sieve, T-shirt or towel to
strain."

Ah interesting, thanks, 4:1. Their own says 10% oats - that's where I got my
figures from, but as I say, that's a bit too thick. And I'll try a sacrificial
T shirt :-)

Top tip - but a good glug on water-based porridge with a spoon of honey. It
goes into an amazing non-milky creamy sort of affair.

Thank you for the inspiration to give diy oat milk a go Rob. ;-)

No worries, next the world :-)

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Aug 2020 07:37:03 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

snip

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume

I went for the latter, using a small mug as a measure.

If anything, I'm finding that ratio too thick

I can't really tell till I can blend it better. I went to try the soup
maker as that's also good for smoothies (apparently) and found it was
dead. Something else to look at now. ;-(

snip

Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,

Tried that. Don't know why, but my tea towels are pretty much impermeable.

LOL! I tried it with a bit of paper kitchen towel and found the same.
;-)

I will need to get a new blender (and recommendations for a super fine
one anyone)?

I'm much less than an authority. I use an Aldi smoothie maker. Seems well made
with thick plastics,

I've asked daughter to see if she can pick up the basic Coolworks one
as she's said she might be going to Argos sometime today. We have had
a very cheap Coolworks 4 slice roaster for years and is still hanging
in there. ;-)

but the motor does that horrible 'burning' smell - the
start up seems very violent.

Our Philips one had two speeds to could 'soft start' it that way a
bit.

Had it a couple of years now so maybe it'll go
the course. I paid Ł20-Ł30 from memory.

Yeah, looking to pay sub Ł20 atm.

The Which best buys are mostly Ł100+.
An exception of decent capacity is the Tefal Blendforce Blender BL420840 -
might be worth a look.

Yeah, I had a look last night and they were up over Ł250!

I mean to try my stick blender - it's a Ł5 Logic from Curry's, had it about 5
years, use once a week for soup. I've worn through the low speed rubber button
cover, but otherwise it makes short work of whatever vegetables I have lying
around.

Yeah, we had one of those for ages. I can't remember what happened to
it now.

and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think)

According to the 1l carton of 'Aldi acti leaf Oat' we have he

Water
Oats (10%)
Sunflower oil
Chicory root fibre
Calcium (calcium phosphates)
Stabilisers
Maltodextrin
Gellan Gum
Sea Salt
Vitamin B12 (who'd have thought g)
Vitamin B2
Vitamin D.

I don't feel an urge to try any of that. Maybe a benign preservative, but I
gather the mix lasts 5 days as it is.

Yeah, I can't see why it wouldn't.

I put a teaspoon of oil in my last small
batch - no difference that I can see/taste.

Interesting.

The Aldi version I get is just
oats and water:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/only-oat-drink/p/702969360441900

I wonder how that differs from the Aldi Oat milk I mentioned above?
Is yours sold chilled I wonder, as a milk-like-drink rather than milk
replacement?

Just seen on Aldi's own site:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/special-diets/vegan

"Homemade oat milk is a great dairy-free alternative. Simply blend a
cup of rolled oats on high speed with 4 cups of water for up to 45
seconds. Then, use a fine mesh strainer, sieve, T-shirt or towel to
strain."

Ah interesting, thanks, 4:1. Their own says 10% oats - that's where I got my
figures from, but as I say, that's a bit too thick. And I'll try a sacrificial
T shirt :-)

Even our sieve blocked nearly as fast as you ran the blend though it
(reminded me of making paper). ;-)

Top tip - but a good glug on water-based porridge with a spoon of honey. It
goes into an amazing non-milky creamy sort of affair.

Cool. ;-)

Thank you for the inspiration to give diy oat milk a go Rob. ;-)

No worries, next the world :-)

And why not! ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 29 August 2020 15:50:33 UTC+1, The Other John wrote:
On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:20:36 +0000, RJH wrote:

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs
shaking before use. Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,
and some shop bought types have certain additives like oil and
flavourings (I think) that I might try - but so far, so good.

Can you do anything with the solid residue or is that just waste?

Wet ground oat solids, good for porridge, bread, cakes, dumplings etc. Can even make fruit curds with it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 30 August 2020 12:36:28 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 30 August 2020 10:10:36 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/n...ilk-chocolate/

Kraft/Mondelez have been developing an alternative to Dairy Milk chocolate for 10 years. It's a palm-oil-based, non-Fairtrade-cocoa, tasteless gritty sludge, and the vegans can stick it up their arse.

Owain

Some standard chocolate has long been dairy free, mainly high cocoa solids stuff. Some of Aldi's Mouser Roth ones are iirc.

NT

Steel milk cans..OT Raw milk Ace Metalworking 2 September 18th 05 01:26 AM
Milk crates - can you buy ? Jethro_uk UK diy 1 April 7th 05 03:23 PM
Limewash and milk paint David UK diy 17 February 23rd 05 01:41 AM
Limewash and milk paint david Woodworking 7 February 6th 05 02:35 PM
SEMI OT - HOW TO BUILD A MILK CARTON BOAT Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 0 July 20th 03 01:17 AM