Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default DIY Milk

On Sat, 29 Aug 2020 14:20:36 +0000 (UTC), RJH
wrote:

Well, oat milk.

Using 10:1 water/porridge oats by weight, which works out 3:1 by volume

I went for the latter, using a small mug as a measure.

with
he oats I used (Flanagans),

Whatever Aldi sell here. ;-)

20 seconds in a liquidiser,

A bit less than that here as it looks like ours leaks. ;-(

through a tea strainer
twice -

Don't have a tea strainer but even a fineish steel sieve seemed to get
blocked fairly quickly, suggesting it should have been blended longer.

produces decent oat milk, very similar to shop bought.

Yup, having a cuppa with it now and the Mrs suggested she wouldn't
have said anything had she not been aware of the experiment (but then
we drink oat milk in any case so ...). ;-)

Slightly
sweeter, but not as sweet as cow's milk

I can't say I remember as I've not been drinking cows milk for a good
few years now (it used to give me a very mucusy cough, to the point
where sometimes I was nearly sick). ;-(

and doesn't separate in tea or
coffee.

Started off ok but I think because it wasn't blended / filtered well
enough, I found a bit of sediment towards / in the bottom.

There's still some sediment, and it doesn't auto-homogenise, so needs shaking
before use.

I've put ours in a freshly emptied cordial bottle so it can be kept in
the fridge and shaken before use.

Straining through a tea towel or similar might help,

I will need to get a new blender (and recommendations for a super fine
one anyone)?

and some shop
bought types have certain additives like oil and flavourings (I think)

According to the 1l carton of 'Aldi acti leaf Oat' we have he

Water
Oats (10%)
Sunflower oil
Chicory root fibre
Calcium (calcium phosphates)
Stabilisers
Maltodextrin
Gellan Gum
Sea Salt
Vitamin B12 (who'd have thought g)
Vitamin B2
Vitamin D.

No artificial colours, flavourings or preservatives.

NutritionPer 100ml)
Energy: 48kcal
Fat 1.5g
(saturates) .2g
Carbohydrate 7.7g
(sugars) 3.8g
Fibre .7g
Protein .5g
Salt .09g

Vitamins and minerals: % / RI
Vitamin D .75ug (15%)
Riboflavin (B2) .21mg (15%)
Vitamin B12 .38ug (15%)
Calcium 120mg (15%)

Just seen on Aldi's own site:

https://www.aldi.co.uk/special-diets/vegan

"Homemade oat milk is a great dairy-free alternative. Simply blend a
cup of rolled oats on high speed with 4 cups of water for up to 45
seconds. Then, use a fine mesh strainer, sieve, T-shirt or towel to
strain."

Thank you for the inspiration to give diy oat milk a go Rob. ;-)

Cheers, T i m