Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cleaning a street sign

A friend has rescued a street name sign from a skip. It's the street where she was born so it's quite sentimental and she now wants to display it in her house No comments please - I tried and got shot down so just go along with it!
The letters are red and black on a white background and are faded. Any ideas what cleaner/solvent I could use to brighten up the colours?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

petek wrote:
The letters are red and black on a white background and are faded. Any
ideas what cleaner/solvent I could use to brighten up the colours?

If they're actually *faded* then you're not going to make them any
stronger by cleaning, you'll just make the background whiter/cleaner
which will probably enhance things somewhat.

I think I'd just start with simple soap and water or a proprietary
product for washing household surfaces.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 27 August 2020 23:34:50 UTC+1, petek wrote:
A friend has rescued a street name sign from a skip.
The letters are red and black on a white background
and are faded. Any ideas what cleaner/solvent I could
use to brighten up the colours?

Very carefully after cleaning, T-cut?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/08/2020 23:34, petek wrote:
A friend has rescued a street name sign from a skip. It's the street where she was born so it's quite sentimental and she now wants to display it in her house No comments please - I tried and got shot down so just go along with it!
The letters are red and black on a white background and are faded. Any ideas what cleaner/solvent I could use to brighten up the colours?

Pete

Red Light Close ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 11:34:50 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:
A friend has rescued a street name sign from a skip. It's the street where she was born so it's quite sentimental and she now wants to display it in her house No comments please - I tried and got shot down so just go along with it!
The letters are red and black on a white background and are faded. Any ideas what cleaner/solvent I could use to brighten up the colours?

Pete

Letters are painted (stencilled I think) on 2.5mm thick white plastic. I've just tried some ordinary household cream cleaner (Tesco's!) and lightly rubbed with fine wire wool. it's improved a lot so think I'll leave it at that and quit while I'm winning. Thanks for suggestions.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 28 August 2020 14:57:44 UTC+1, petek wrote:
On Thursday, August 27, 2020 at 11:34:50 PM UTC+1, petek wrote:

A friend has rescued a street name sign from a skip. It's the street where she was born so it's quite sentimental and she now wants to display it in her house No comments please - I tried and got shot down so just go along with it!
The letters are red and black on a white background and are faded. Any ideas what cleaner/solvent I could use to brighten up the colours?

Pete

Letters are painted (stencilled I think) on 2.5mm thick white plastic. I've just tried some ordinary household cream cleaner (Tesco's!) and lightly rubbed with fine wire wool. it's improved a lot so think I'll leave it at that and quit while I'm winning. Thanks for suggestions.

Pete

you can get car detailing products that restore paint colour & shine on paint & GRP. The ones that do both in one shot aren't as good but they're still pretty good. I wouldn't use wire wool myself.

NT