Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default external house wall insulation

I keep getting salesmen (****s) wanting to install external insulation
over my timber frame house....shirley this is not a good idea....or is
it common place these days ...?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 12:31, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I keep getting salesmen (****s) wanting to install external insulation
over my timber frame house....shirley this is not a good idea....or is
it common place these days ...?

There was a bunglow I sometimes walk past that had Celotex installed on
the outside a few years ago.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Back in the days of Tony Blair a school near where we lived was being €śdone up€ť as part of an initiative I cannot remember the name. They had a portion built to connect two separate buildings the outer walls were simply PIR foam boards and these were simply rendered. It always made me wonder how many footballs kicked against them would it take to loosen the render and once the kids twigged what the structure was before somebody decided to try to put their foot through?

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 12:31:13 +0100, "Jim GM4 DHJ ..."
wrote:

I keep getting salesmen (****s) wanting to install external insulation
over my timber frame house....shirley this is not a good idea....or is
it common place these days ...?

Depends how good the existing insullation is and if 'you' think it
would benefit from more. Then, if you do, you need to decide whether
to forego a small amount of space, and the inconvenience, of cladding
the walls internally or usung external cladding.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare wrote:
On 11/08/2020 12:31, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
I keep getting salesmen (****s) wanting to install external insulation
over my timber frame house....shirley this is not a good idea....or is
it common place these days ...?

There was a bunglow I sometimes walk past that had Celotex installed on
the outside a few years ago.

This happened where I used to live:
https://www.uk.weber/facades/byron-s...cambridgeshire

I've been inside one of the non-council ones and they're basically hardboard
on a steel frame. I have to say I rather like the sheet steel 'before'
look, but I wouldn't be keen on living in one. I think the refurb ones are
quite snug now.

Theo

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 14:43, Peter Johnson wrote:
Depends how good the existing insullation is and if 'you' think it
would benefit from more.

He isn't going to get *any* benefit from adding external insulation
to a timber-framed house if there is still a ventilated gap between
the outer brick skin and the insulated timber structure !.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/08/2020 16:53, Andrew wrote:
On 11/08/2020 14:43, Peter Johnson wrote:
Depends how good the existing insulation is and if 'you' think it
would benefit from more.

He isn't going to get *any* benefit from adding external insulation
to a timber-framed house if there is still a ventilated gap between
the outer brick skin and the insulated timber structure !.

you don't vent cavities in timber frame houses just perpend vents in
recent examples.....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It would look daft here as I'm in the middle of a terrace. Single brick
walls will probably be declared illegal soon. As long as I've popped my
cloggs by then I don't care.
Brian

--
----- --