Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How easy is Laminate Flooring to Install?

I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1445111-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:14, Anne-Marie wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult
it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

easy but it is crap...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article direct.com,
Anne-Marie m wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it
is? Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

I did just that in my daughter's flat 20 years ago.. very easy, just get
the real tools.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:14, Anne-Marie wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult
it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Very easy indeed if you have basic DIY skills. Here are some thoughts,
in no particular order ...
Can you cope with a slightly slippery floor? Could it get wet? Might you
walk grit onto it? Don't skimp on underlay and don't buy cheap laminate.
As far as possible, plan the cuts before you start. Decide whether
you're going to remove/refit the skirting (the best way) or leave the
skirting and fit a moulding. Decide how you're going to work around
doorway architrave and any pipes. Think about room thresholds. If the
floor is not solid then consider whether you might need to provide
access to any areas.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article direct.com,
Anne-Marie m wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Very easy to make an average job. But if it's meant to look like a real
wood floor, a lot more difficult.

--
*A person who smiles in the face of adversity probably has a scapegoat *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:16, Jim GM4 DHJ ... wrote:
On 10/08/2020 15:14, Anne-Marie wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult
it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

easy but it is crap...

Is that the company that has a Tour-de-France cycle team ?

All laminate is easy to lay, provided you have a partner who can
finish it off properly and do all the fiddly cutting and edging :-)

Even Adams GF could do it , shes a dab hand with a sledge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/08/2020 15:14, Anne-Marie wrote:

I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult
it is?

Its easy to lay, but takes a fair amount of effort to get a good looking
result at the edges.

To look good you need to either remove and refit skirtings, or undercut
them to allow the flooring to pass under them. This avoids the need for
additional beads applied at the edges to hide gap at the floor to wall
join.

Same goes for doorways, you need to undercut the architrave and door
lining to get a decent result.

For an example see here - this was an engineered wood floor rather than
laminate, the the principles remain similar - its just the boards are
thicker:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...oor_-_retrofit

Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Go for a pattern where the visual "boards" match the actual board edges,
otherwise it will always be obvious which are real joins and which are
"printed on".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I remember some years ago going into a house where shall we say it was
installed but had a slight side effect. At times as you walked on it it
sounded a bit like it had a tap dancing emulator in it. It also seemed to
move just a little in places. Of course never having fitted it myself, it
might be this is to be expected.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Anne-Marie" m wrote in
message roupdirect.com...
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it
is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...l-1445111-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff \(Sofa\)" wrote in
:

I remember some years ago going into a house where shall we say it was
installed but had a slight side effect. At times as you walked on it
it sounded a bit like it had a tap dancing emulator in it. It also
seemed to move just a little in places. Of course never having fitted
it myself, it might be this is to be expected.
Brian

Have a vacuum cleaner handy - ensure the interlocking features are clean.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article direct.com,
Anne-Marie m wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Very easy to make an average job. But if it's meant to look like a real
wood floor, a lot more difficult.

Judging one I'm looking at in a friend's rented property while I write
this very very easy to get a completely crap finished result.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article direct.com,
Anne-Marie m wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Very easy to make an average job. But if it's meant to look like a real
wood floor, a lot more difficult.

Judging one I'm looking at in a friend's rented property while I write
this very very easy to get a completely crap finished result.

Quite. But removing skirting boards to make a nice job is beyond many. And
many simply don't care anyway.

--
*If one synchronized swimmer drowns, do the rest have to drown too?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
alan_m wrote:
In article direct.com,
Anne-Marie m wrote:
I'm looking at installing laminate flooring but wondered how difficult it is?
Anyone got any experience. We're looking at getting Quickstep

Very easy to make an average job. But if it's meant to look like a real
wood floor, a lot more difficult.

Judging one I'm looking at in a friend's rented property while I write
this very very easy to get a completely crap finished result.

Quite. But removing skirting boards to make a nice job is beyond many. And
many simply don't care anyway.

In new houses the skirting boards tend to be glued on with nonails or
similar and are made of MDF. Removal tends to be destructive.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:46:09 +0100, Andrew wrote:

In new houses the skirting boards tend to be glued on with nonails or
similar and are made of MDF. Removal tends to be destructive.

Hire a door trimmer or make up a jig for your angle grinder fitted
with a wood cutting blade?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/08/2020 17:30, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:46:09 +0100, Andrew wrote:

In new houses the skirting boards tend to be glued on with nonails or
similar and are made of MDF. Removal tends to be destructive.

Hire a door trimmer or make up a jig for your angle grinder fitted
with a wood cutting blade?

Its slow, but quite easy with a multimaster type tool as well - just
flip a flooring board upside down and use it as a flush cut guide with
an offset blade.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 16:46:09 +0100, Andrew wrote:

In new houses the skirting boards tend to be glued on with nonails or
similar and are made of MDF. Removal tends to be destructive.

Hire a door trimmer or make up a jig for your angle grinder fitted
with a wood cutting blade?

That's what I did round the door frames. Cut a rebate into them to allow
the flooring to go under it.

--
*If you try to fail, and succeed, which have you done?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Very easy if you take appropriate care but it plays hell on my knees. Also for a few weeks until its slipperyness reduced our labrador couldn't keep her feet together while walking on it. She took to launching herself from the doorway onto a mat which then proceeded to slip across the room with her on it. It would have been prize winning video but I didn't record it.