Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default This is just weird - laptop keyboard

My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10
updates, now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem
generating a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses
to produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10 updates,
now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem generating
a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses to
produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

I used to get somethning like that.... the keyboard would switch to usa
or wagga wagg etc...pain...I hate computers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 11:46:31 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10
updates, now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem
generating a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses
to produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

I'd try uninstalling it and allowing it to reinstall.

Several times, I have found that a W10 update has applied OK but somewhere between hours and days later something stops working - even if the update required a restart, or I have restarted anyway, sometimes several times. Usually a mouse. Typically, I remove and reinstall and all is well for many months.

Do you have a visual indication of shift having been pressed? Is that working as usual? Could you have some dust under the key?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 13:01:43 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 9 August 2020 11:46:31 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10
updates, now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem
generating a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses
to produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

I'd try uninstalling it and allowing it to reinstall.

I'd try uninstalling win10 & never letting it install again. Going linux has solved so many unnecessary problems. Never regretted it for one moment.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 11:46:27 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10 updates,
now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem generating
a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses to
produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

Never update, maybe one day they will get it right.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

polygonum_on_google laid this down on his screen :
Do you have a visual indication of shift having been pressed? Is that working
as usual? Could you have some dust under the key?

Shift works perfectly with all the other keys, as does the / so not
that and the ? eventually appears after several tries.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10 updates,
now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem generating
a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses to
produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

Does it do anything different if you boot into the BIOS settings (taking
care of course not to save changes)?

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 11:46, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10 updates,
now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem generating
a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of the
shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps etc.,
but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10 presses to
produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every time.

What behaviour do you see using sticky keys?

If you turn stick keys on and then press shift, it should beep,
followed by /?, what happens.

It might be that the physical keyboard is dodgy and it currently
manifests on the /? key, but that things will become clearer with time
(in a bad way). If you still get ? with a sticky shift it would help
eliminate a hardware problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 14:20, Pancho wrote:
[...]

Also, do you get the same behaviour if you plug a keyboard in?

It's possible you've got the US keyboard setting enabled. Do you see
"ENG" in the notification at the right end of the taskbar?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

It's possible you've got the US keyboard setting enabled.

slash and question-mark are the same on UK and US keyboard layouts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 17:24, Andy Burns wrote:
GB wrote:

It's possible you've got the US keyboard setting enabled.

slash and question-mark are the same on UK and US keyboard layouts.

You've got me banged to rights, officer.

Laptop keyboards tend to be non-standard. Do they need a driver/key map?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Pancho brought next idea :
What behaviour do you see using sticky keys?

No difference.

It seems the once repeated pressing of leftshift + / has produced one ?
it will then produce as many as I want ???????????, never misses. Using
rightshift + / always produces one, but doing that makes no difference
to the problem with the leftshift one.

DOS (command prompt) exibits exactly the same problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB was thinking very hard :
[...]

I'm away in the caravan, I only have the laptop with me..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 09/08/2020, GB supposed :
GB wrote:

It's possible you've got the US keyboard setting enabled.

slash and question-mark are the same on UK and US keyboard layouts.

You've got me banged to rights, officer.

Laptop keyboards tend to be non-standard. Do they need a driver/key map?

???????££££££??????

Out of curiosity, I have just tried swapping to the US keyboad option.
It will not produce a ? at all via the leftshift + /, but still does
with rightshift + /
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 14:02, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 05:40:03 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 13:01:43 UTC+1, polygonum_on_google wrote:
On Sunday, 9 August 2020 11:46:31 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

My old, little used laptop has just installed a series of Win10
updates, now fully up to date, since when my keyboard has had problem
generating a question mark.

Question mark is on the shifted forward slash key - ////. Either of
the shift keys work fine with all the other keys to produce the caps
etc., but pressing the left shift key + ? may require as many as 10
presses to produce a question mark. Right shift key + ? works every
time.

I'd try uninstalling it and allowing it to reinstall.

I'd try uninstalling win10 & never letting it install again. Going linux
has solved so many unnecessary problems. Never regretted it for one
moment.

I wouldn't say I've regretted it. But running linux isn't zero effort.

And a PITA if your clients use MS

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I suspect then that its the hook into the keyboard scanning that the laptop
maker uses that is giving issues. Many have the FN key and in order to do
all the mapping and reassigning of function keys they either have a special
driver or sometimes an actual bios extension to make it work. Might be
worth asking the laptop vendor about either a bios update or a driver
update.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
polygonum_on_google laid this down on his screen :
Do you have a visual indication of shift having been pressed? Is that
working as usual? Could you have some dust under the key?

Shift works perfectly with all the other keys, as does the / so not that
and the ? eventually appears after several tries.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/08/2020 19:08, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Pancho brought next idea :
What behaviour do you see using sticky keys?

No difference.

It seems the once repeated pressing of leftshift + / has produced one ?
it will then produce as many as I want ???????????, never misses. Using
rightshift + / always produces one, but doing that makes no difference
to the problem with the leftshift one.

DOS (command prompt) exibits exactly the same problem.

Anything here of use?
https://www.maketecheasier.com/lapto...working-fixes/