Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Karcher 2.110

I know I have asked some obscure questions on this group over the
years, and I am always grateful for the advice.

I was given a Karcher 2.110. I am having problems attaching the hose
to the machine. It's a screw fitting but the middle bit does not go
far enough in to allow the circular nut thing to tighten enough to
achieve a secure fitting. As soon as you switch on the pump the hose
gets blasted off. I have tried holding the nozzle on at the same time
as switching on the pump but this makes no difference.

It seems to me beyond the realms of possibility that a product could
be manufactured and sold with parts that don't fit together. The only
explanation that I can think of is that the hose is not the correct
hose for the machine.

The machine was abandoned so there is no prospect of speaking to the
previous owner.

Has anyone encountered such a difficulty? Any ideas?

The machine
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 17:53, Scott wrote:
[...]

Does anyone you know have a Karcher? If so, take your hose over to them
and see if it works with their Karcher. If it does, there is a problem
with the thread on yours. If it flies off, see if you can borrow theirs
to try with yours. If it works ok, buy yourself a new hose. If it flies
off as well, see if you can get a spare part from Karcher to fit on the
washer.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 18:14:23 +0100, Jeff Layman
wrote:

[...]

I thought of the last part. The hose is quite expensive and I am
reluctant to spash out (excuse the pun) for one if the fault might lie
with the base station.

I was wondering if anyone knows whether Karcher has used varying
designs over the years, or if this is a known problem?.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott wrote:
[...]

The hose for my lance is quite a snug fit and if there is a bit of surface
corrosion on the connector this can be enough to stop it fitting properly.

Have a close look and clean off any any corrosion that you can see (wire
wool etc). If theres a rubber O-ring, remove it first before getting too
aggressive with any de-rusting method.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Scott posted
[...]

I have a similar machine, and it is true that it is difficult to attach
the hose to the pump unit. You have to push very hard indeed and then
turn to make the seal. So much so that I do not disconnect the hose when
packing the thing away; it's too much trouble to reconnect it.

--
Algernon

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug 2020 at 18:27:55 BST, "Tim+" wrote:

Scott wrote:
[...]

I found that too on the Makita I've borrowed, very tight fit, and almost feels
as if the nut is cross threading.

--
Cheers, Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 18:31:14 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

Scott posted
[...]

I'll try again but I pushed the hose very hard but still could not get
if far enough in for the rotating nut to grip enough threads to hold
securely.

There is no sign of corrosion. I think it's all plastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Aug 2020 19:07:12 +0100, Scott
wrote:

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 18:31:14 +0100, Algernon Goss-Custard
wrote:

Scott posted
[...]

Sorry. Central core is metal. The rest is plastic.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Aug 2020 17:27:55 GMT, Tim+ wrote:

If there's a rubber O-ring, remove it first before getting too
aggressive with any de-rusting method.

On my Karcher the machine is female with quite a fine outside thread.
The hose is male with inside threaded collar. The central spigot has
an O ring near the end. Everything is plastic.

Make sure there isn't any muck in the female or on the males, remove
the O ring and see if the fit is better. The O ring may have expanded
making it difficult to fit the connector.

I also notice that the first couple of turns of thread on the female
are damaged, probably from the brass collar male for the HP hose
extension I have. If that damage got to far down the female it could
result in the hose blowing off but it would have to get a 3/8" or so
down.

I'll go for an expanded O ring stoping the male fitting into the
female. Bit of water soluable lubrication?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

My Karcher, and other pressure washers I've used, remind me that there
is a 7 stone weakling lurking inside this [redacted] weakling. If you
have double checked that both parts of the fitting are clean I suggest
you release your inner Hulk* to try again by pushing the pipe on harder
than you can conceive is necessary.

*other fictional characters are available

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

They can be a bit stiff. Make sure both parts are clean and then smear
some Vaseline or washing-up liquid on the O-ring, and push a bit harder.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 22:55:36 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

They can be a bit stiff. Make sure both parts are clean and then smear
some Vaseline or washing-up liquid on the O-ring, and push a bit harder.

Not vaseline, it's petroleum based based and will cause the O ring to
expand. Washing up liquid or silicone grease as used on guttering,
soil pipe seals etc.

--
Cheers
Dave.