Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson DC07

Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:
I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Recently bought a used Dyson DC59/V6 on ebay[1].

It's really good - on 'max' mode is probably as good as our Henry. It
actually fits in better - instead of dragging the Henry out of the cupboard
and spending a morning cleaning the whole house, you can just
opportunistically do the bits that look a bit dirty as and when they need
doing.

The electric carpet/hard floor rollers are much better than traditional
heads that rely on static brushes to pick up dirt (and get clogged with
fluff rather than sucking it up). These rollers do groom the pile.

You only get a few minutes of runtime on 'max', but that's fine if you're
only doing one room at a time. Normal mode is lower power but still fine
for most things. You have to empty it after every job as the bin is
quite small. It is very plasticy, but then it is supposed to be
lightweight.

The battery it came with is aftermarket but seems to hold up OK. However
the cells inside the official batteries are regular Sony 18650s (VTC5, 5A or
6 depending on model) so it's possible to re-cell a battery if it dies.
The batteries do get warm when on 'max', which probably doesn't help the
lifetime. It takes a few hours to recharge them.

For £100 with all the trimmings (3 electric brushes and lots of
attachments) I think it was a very good buy. I looked at other brands but
suspect that there would be problems with spares availability down the line.

Theo

[1] I think some bits are from a V6 and some from a DC59. It didn't come
with the extension wand so I bought one from a V6 separately and it didn't
fit - until I cut off a couple of plastic tabs and then it did. Apparently
the tabs are to prevent connecting higher-wattage tools than the weaker
versions of the V6 will support.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:
Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

Look ar Oreck. They do industrial grade hoovers that are ultra light,
ultra manuevreable and are popular used in hotels.

Not cheap but they are built to last.

https://www.oreck.com/shop/vacuums/uprights/

S.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JohnP wrote:
I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

Modern rechargeable batteries tend to have a very decent life. Not like
Ni-Cads, etc.

--
*I don't believe in astrology. I am a Sagittarius and we're very skeptical.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jon jon is offline

On Thu, 06 Aug 2020 12:11:58 +0000, JohnP wrote:

Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

Recently I bought a new cheap Gtech SW02 battery operated cleaner, it only
weighs 1.6kg, so easy to carry upstairs and picks up bits well, leaving
the nap on the carpet raised. It is specified at 1 hour of use for each
charge. No more lugging Vax or Henry around.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:
Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

My grandmother just had two 'hoovers', Upstairs and Downstairs. No
need to carry one of them up/down the stairs.

Sebo are quite a good make AFAIK, bags not too expensive unlike
Miele.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alas only one place to store a vacuum and it is downstairs.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2020 13:12:00 UTC+1, JohnP wrote:
Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

Uhoh, red flag territory. The big heavy Dysons work great, the smaller lighter ones are not worth having. Pickup is feeble in comparison.

Fwliw, henries & constellations are very different.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:
Any household chore gods there?

Currently have a fine Dyson DC07 and I like the way the carpets feel and
look groomed after its use.

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

I don't particularly fancy a recharcable as I am wary of performance
degrating and then feeling over a barrel - new battery or put up with
declining performance.

Performance of the rechargeables is pretty decent - I was initially
sceptical and the batteries last fairly well. Longer if you let them
cool down before trying to recharge them and you can buy aftermarket
batteries from Amazon/eBay for much less than Dyson charges.

So - do these little ones leave the pile looking groomed?

Any recommentations (not a Henry please - I once had a Constellation)

V8 looks like it will be a good bet once the next model comes out and it
gets discounted as end of line. V7 if you don't mind shorter runtime.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2020 17:28:28 UTC+1, Martin Brown wrote:

V8 looks like it will be a good bet once the next model comes out and it
gets discounted as end of line. V7 if you don't mind shorter runtime.

The V11, current latest and greatest, is too heavy. I think the combination of motor, battery and bigger dirt receptacle while welcome in themselves, make it unacceptable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP wrote:

Any recommentations

Look at vacuum wars for reviews and comparisons

https://youtube.com/c/VacuumWars
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 August 2020 18:05:42 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 06/08/2020 18:00, newshound wrote:
On 06/08/2020 17:20, tabbypurr wrote:

Fwliw, henries & constellations are very different.

+1, Henry is *very* much better; still quite heavy but relatively easy
to carry and "rolls" easily on tugging the hose. They have a pretty long
power cord, and the winder is very good. Also very reliable.

FWIW I have a Dyson cordless as well as a Dyson mains. Expensive, the
batteries don't last forever but from my experience of two, now, the
third party ones at half the price of Dyson are fine.

Doesn't give the same deep clean perhaps but still very convenient.

You can get 'mini' versions of Henrys now. No need to
get a full size one for domestic non-diy vacuuming.

I saw one a couple of inches tall. I suspect that's not what you mean

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

Do people actually do that? Surely you have a vac on each floor.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

williamwright wrote in news:hp40uqFr0o8U2
@mid.individual.net:

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

Do people actually do that? Surely you have a vac on each floor.

Bill

No problem with that other than we don't really have a space for one
upstairs. 4 bedrooms - but little storage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/08/2020 11:22, JohnP wrote:
williamwright wrote in news:hp40uqFr0o8U2
@mid.individual.net:

On 06/08/2020 13:11, JohnP wrote:

However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

Do people actually do that? Surely you have a vac on each floor.

Bill

No problem with that other than we don't really have a space for one
upstairs. 4 bedrooms - but little storage.

Kirsty and Phil have a solution for that :-)
(sledgehammer).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/08/2020 15:37, Andrew wrote:

My grandmother just had two 'hoovers', Upstairs and Downstairs. No
need to carry one of them up/down the stairs.

Me too. I bought an identical for upstairs.

From eBay, a Panasonic upright for £25. The bloke selling it also gave
me loads of bags - I only had to replace the belt to have it working as new.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnP formulated on Thursday :
However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

Keep one upstairs, one down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
JohnP formulated on Thursday :
However, It is very heavy and I think I would like something lighter for
carrying upstairs.

Keep one upstairs, one down.

But which one do you use for the stairs? ;-)

--
*A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it uses up a thousand times more memory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Dyson DC07 - cleaning filters John UK diy 1 October 15th 07 08:54 PM
Dyson Hose (DC07) John UK diy 2 June 21st 07 06:04 PM
Dyson DC07 Clean John UK diy 21 February 11th 07 04:12 PM
Dyson DC07 overheating question PHG UK diy 3 December 15th 04 03:25 PM
How to change a Dyson DC07 Post Motor Filter Murdo UK diy 3 October 20th 04 04:52 PM