Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Covering a boss hole in a soil stack

Removed a pipe from a boss on a soil stack (it's almost becoming a hobby).
I was going to cap it but it was all in generally poor nick so I removed
it all leaving, obviously, a hole.
This is a job beyond gaffer tape as it turns out! Even temporarily but
the less said about that the better.

My first reaction was to replace a section containing the hole but I
couldn't be arsed so had a brainwave,
I cut a few inches from a new pipe, then 2 cuts down that piece
lengthways to remove about 30 percent of the pipe leaving a C shape.

This satisfyingly clipped tightly on and i've solvent welded it.

I'm sure this has been done before but in case that helps anyone....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've seen the inspection camera brigade silicone a piece of
plastic pipe over the hole they made in a cast iron
stack.
--

%Profound_observation%

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 13:36:05 +0100, R D S wrote:

I was going to cap it but it was all in generally poor nick so I removed
it all leaving, obviously, a hole.
This is a job beyond gaffer tape as it turns out! Even temporarily but
the less said about that the better.

B-)

Surprised that gaffer tape didn't work provided the outer of the pipe
was clean and dry and the tape was wrapped around for two or three
layers and not just a patch stuck on.

I cut a few inches from a new pipe, then 2 cuts down that piece
lengthways to remove about 30 percent of the pipe leaving a C shape.

This satisfyingly clipped tightly on and i've solvent welded it.

That'll works and neater than a (new, replacement) capped boss
sticking out.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 13:36, R D S wrote:
Removed a pipe from a boss on a soil stack (it's almost becoming a hobby).
I was going to cap it but it was all in generally poor nick so I removed
it all leaving, obviously, a hole.
This is a job beyond gaffer tape as it turns out! Even temporarily but
the less said about that the better.

My first reaction was to replace a section containing the hole but I
couldn't be arsed so had a brainwave,
I cut a few inches from a new pipe, then 2 cuts down that piece
lengthways to remove about 30 percent of the pipe leaving a C shape.

This satisfyingly clipped tightly on and i've solvent welded it.

I'm sure this has been done before but in case that helps anyone....

Nice one! Must try to remember that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/07/2020 14:40, Dave Liquorice wrote:

Surprised that gaffer tape didn't work provided the outer of the pipe
was clean and dry and the tape was wrapped around for two or three
layers and not just a patch stuck on.

It's been a ballache of a job, I suspect there is something in the pipe
impeding flow after the bit i'd gaffered so it's not just flying past.

Found it difficult to wrap around too, due to the small space twixt the
pipe and the wall so it was a bit of a patchwork.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 17:31:36 +0100, R D S wrote:

It's been a ballache of a job, I suspect there is something in the pipe
impeding flow after the bit i'd gaffered so it's not just flying past.

Must be fairly close or draining pretty slowly. A single flush isn't
going to fill much more than about 4' of 4" soil pipe.

Found it difficult to wrap around too, due to the small space twixt the
pipe and the wall so it was a bit of a patchwork.

I thought you'd say that. B-) Difficult to have a long enough strip
torn off the roll and threading it behind a pipe whilst not letting
it stick to anything else or itself. Might be able to wrap a long
length onto a pencil and pass that behind the pipe.

--
Cheers
Dave.