Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Soil Stack Boss Identification

Soil stack in the corner of the kitchen.

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4P2yaHjSyBThzat7

The rubber washer in the boss has been crushed meaning I can no longer make a good seal. I've tried a couple of other washers but neither are giving a good seal (the usual soil pipe smells telling me it isn't air tight). Does anybody recognise the make so I can try and source a replacement washer?

My only other alternative would be to add a boss which would reduce the amount of height to play with for sink wastes etc.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H wrote:
Soil stack in the corner of the kitchen.

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4P2yaHjSyBThzat7

The rubber washer in the boss has been crushed meaning I can no longer
make a good seal. I've tried a couple of other washers but neither are
giving a good seal (the usual soil pipe smells telling me it isn't air
tight). Does anybody recognise the make so I can try and source a replacement washer?

My only other alternative would be to add a boss which would reduce the
amount of height to play with for sink wastes etc.

Have you tried just putting it in very hot water to see if it recovers its
shape?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 17:08:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Have you tried just putting it in very hot water to see if it recovers its
shape?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, tried that. No noticable difference sadly...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H pretended :
Soil stack in the corner of the kitchen.

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4P2yaHjSyBThzat7

Have you tried boiling it in a pan of hot water for a few minutes, they
usually regain their original shape?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2019 17:34, Kevin H wrote:
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 17:08:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Have you tried just putting it in very hot water to see if it recovers its
shape?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, tried that. No noticable difference sadly...

Looks like Marley, but they have changed the style of their
seals since my house was built in 1976

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 18:37:52 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 22/08/2019 17:34, Kevin H wrote:
On Thursday, 22 August 2019 17:08:33 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:

Have you tried just putting it in very hot water to see if it recovers its
shape?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Yes, tried that. No noticable difference sadly...

Looks like Marley, but they have changed the style of their
seals since my house was built in 1976

The house was built in '95. The local plumbers merchant has drawn a blank with getting a replacement. They did suggest that I put it back in as best I could and glued it and the pipe in. I might give that a try before cutting a hole for a new boss as the current boss will need sealing up anyway (so nothing to lose).

Need to find a suitable adhesive. Was thinking about something like this: https://www.screwfix.com/p/geocel-th...ar-290ml/92565
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H wrote:

Soil stack in the corner of the kitchen.

Photos - https://photos.app.goo.gl/X4P2yaHjSyBThzat7

The rubber washer in the boss has been crushed meaning I can no longer
make a good seal. I've tried a couple of other washers but neither are
giving a good seal (the usual soil pipe smells telling me it isn't air
tight). Does anybody recognise the make so I can try and source a
replacement washer?

My only other alternative would be to add a boss which would reduce the
amount of height to play with for sink wastes etc.

Assuming the grey pipe is a push fit it in the bit of of brown/orange
flexible pipe at the bottom with a non-visible bit of plain pipe joining
the boss to the brown pipe, the easiest thing would be to cut the grey
pipe a foot or two above the boss and use a push-fit or solvent weld
coupler to connect in a whole new section of pipe with a suitable boss
at the bottom to duplicate the whole fitting with a modern version.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 11:31, Roger Hayter wrote:
Kevin H wrote:

[...]

Or, if the leak is where the white pipe goes into the grey boss then the
simplest fix will be to wrap that joint with stretched PVC tape. May be
a bit awkward given the proximity of the wall but should be possible. It
does not have to look nice.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Kevin H wrote:

[...]

Or simply fill any gaps with silicone or expanding foam

--
€śPeople believe certain stories because everyone important tells them,
and people tell those stories because everyone important believes them.

Paul Krugman