Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flooded electrics

We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 22:47:36 +0100, GB
wrote:

We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

Is it one that you can unscrew, if so you could do so (electric still
off) and just see how wet / dry it still is?

Sometimes the roses can hold water but rarely enough to get too close
to the terminals (assuming the cord not a tight fit, you said the
water was coming *through* the rose, not over the top of it)?

If it's still showing any signs of dampness, can you leave the rose
cover lose safely?

The kids in the flat above daughters had an 'over energetic bath'
(according to the parents when she went up to check if they had a leak
etc) and quite a bit of water came though the pull switch.

It still worked but just (because it was wet), wouldn't turn the LED
lamp right off. ;-)

I replaced the switch, then took the old one to bits, let it dry out
and left it there as a spare.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 22 July 2020 22:47:49 UTC+1, GB wrote:

We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

I assume you opened it all to dry. 2 days is pushing it. I open stuff up & give it a week to ensure zero failure rate.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 22:47, GB wrote:
We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

by the bang and the earth leakage tripping if it isn't.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB Wrote in message:
We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

Finally! a genuine application for WD-40...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Megger?
Or just see if the thing trips. Does the wire run in conduits or just
loose and is there any likelihood of the water flowing to anywhere where
there may be a junction box?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"GB" wrote in message
We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of water
came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 08:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Megger?
Or just see if the thing trips. Does the wire run in conduits or just
loose and is there any likelihood of the water flowing to anywhere where
there may be a junction box?
Brian

I don't own a Megger - clearly a major failing, but what can you do?

We turned the electricity off early in the process, so maybe that
explains the lack of bang.

I made a few holes in the ceiling, to aid the flow of water out of the
ceiling space and removed the cover of the ceiling rose. There's
definitely no water still sloshing around.

I think I'm happy enough with Tabby's rule of thumb answer to leave it a
week to dry out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/07/2020 11:40, GB wrote:
On 23/07/2020 08:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Megger?
Â* Or just see if the thing trips. Does the wire run in conduits or just
loose and is there any likelihood of the water flowing to anywhere where
there may be a junction box?
Brian

I don't own a Megger - clearly a major failing, but what can you do?

We turned the electricity off early in the process, so maybe that
explains the lack of bang.

I made a few holes in the ceiling, to aid the flow of water out of the
ceiling space and removed the cover of the ceiling rose.Â* There's
definitely no water still sloshing around.

I think I'm happy enough with Tabby's rule of thumb answer to leave it a
week to dry out.

I have dried stuff out with a hair drier and powered back up within the
hour.

If there are no junction boxes etc above the rose then you should be
good to go.

Is this a plastic pendant or an intricate light fitting? If a light
fitting then swap it for a pendant and let the fitting dry out for a week.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 17:58, ARW wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:40, GB wrote:
[...]

It's a pendant.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this happened on Monday or
Tuesday, but my darling wife informs me it was Saturday. With the long
days, it's no hardship to do without the ceiling lights. In the kitchen,
we have lights under the cupboards, and elsewhere table lights.

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h
Worth it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 18:42:01 UTC+1, GB wrote:

It's a pendant.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this happened on Monday or
Tuesday, but my darling wife informs me it was Saturday. With the long
days, it's no hardship to do without the ceiling lights. In the kitchen,
we have lights under the cupboards, and elsewhere table lights.

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h
Worth it.

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough. When it's not you can just alternate oil & emulsion or use shellac. 98% of the time stain block isn't needed - and when it is, spray is about the worst format to buy it in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/07/2020 19:09, wrote:
On Thursday, 23 July 2020 18:42:01 UTC+1, GB wrote:

It's a pendant.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this happened on Monday or
Tuesday, but my darling wife informs me it was Saturday. With the long
days, it's no hardship to do without the ceiling lights. In the kitchen,
we have lights under the cupboards, and elsewhere table lights.

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h
Worth it.

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough. When it's not you can just alternate oil & emulsion or use shellac. 98% of the time stain block isn't needed - and when it is, spray is about the worst format to buy it in.

**** me I have just checked my pulse to see if I am still alive.

I agree with you.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 20:05, ARW wrote:
On 23/07/2020 19:09, wrote:
On Thursday, 23 July 2020 18:42:01 UTC+1, GBÂ* wrote:

It's a pendant.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this happened on Monday or
Tuesday, but my darling wife informs me it was Saturday. With the long
days, it's no hardship to do without the ceiling lights. In the kitchen,
we have lights under the cupboards, and elsewhere table lights.

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h

Worth it.

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough. When it's not you can
just alternate oil & emulsion or use shellac. 98% of the time stain
block isn't needed - and when it is, spray is about the worst format
to buy it in.

**** me I have just checked my pulse to see if I am still alive.

I agree with you.

Spray it on. It's matt. It's the same colour as Dulux Brilliant White.
You've done the whole job in five minutes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW Wrote in message:
On 23/07/2020 19:09, wrote:
On Thursday, 23 July 2020 18:42:01 UTC+1, GB wrote:

It's a pendant.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I thought this happened on Monday or
Tuesday, but my darling wife informs me it was Saturday. With the long
days, it's no hardship to do without the ceiling lights. In the kitchen,
we have lights under the cupboards, and elsewhere table lights.

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h
Worth it.

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough. When it's not you can just alternate oil & emulsion or use shellac. 98% of the time stain block isn't needed - and when it is, spray is about the worst format to buy it in.

**** me I have just checked my pulse to see if I am still alive.

I agree with you.

I demand a full blood recount....
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 11:09:57 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...ceiling-spray-
paint-flat-white-400ml/7447h

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough.

Yeah and you don't run the risk of gassing yourself. Have used spray
stain block in the past very succesfully with a single coat and
without gassing myself.

Got some "EverBuild" the other month. It's a tin of pressurised
acetone and some white pigment that doesn't stain block without two
applications. Found that out the hard way.

And when the warning labels says "well ventilated area" they mean
something like a garden gazebo, in the garden. Even with doors and
windows open both sides of the house and a decent through draft the
acetone was still at "not very nice" level and I'm not overly
sensitive to organic solvents.

Have dug out a tin of ancient white oil based paint to try but it's
gloss rather than undercoat. Not sure how well emulsion behave on
that.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 03:13:51 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the

electricity
back on again? How do you tell?

by the bang and the earth leakage tripping if it isn't.

Clean water is a fairly good insulator I doubt the resistance
presented by it would be low enough to go BANG. Might be enough to
trip an RCD (if there is one on the lighting circuit), anything less
than about 7,500 ohms will do that. Without and RCD it might fizz a
bit, a 6A lighting circuit will deliver 1.3 kW without batting an
eyelid and all that 1.3 kW will be dissipated in a thin film of
water...

I'd be slighly more concerned about long term corrsion of the wires
inside the cable where capillary action has drawn the water in. This
is what insurance companies are worried about after floods.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/07/2020 22:21, Dave Liquorice wrote:

I'd be slighly more concerned about long term corrsion of the wires
inside the cable where capillary action has drawn the water in. This
is what insurance companies are worried about after floods.

The bulb in the pendant is only 15w, though. Similarly, the other
pendants on the same circuit. So, isn't the corrosion more of an issue
on power circuits?

And presumably the issue is the surface of the copper at the contacts?
The main cross section of the copper wire won't corrode significantly?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/07/2020 22:47, GB wrote:
We had a small flood a couple of days ago. About 4 buckets full of
water came through the living room ceiling from the bathroom above.

Of course it came through the ceiling rose, and we switched off the
downstairs lighting circuit.

So, the question is whether it's now dry enough to turn the
electricity back on again? How do you tell?

by the bang and the earth leakage tripping if it isn't.

Not necessarily, without RCD, I've been given a mild shock off a wet
ceiling.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 09:51:45 +0100, GB wrote:

I'd be slighly more concerned about long term corrsion of the

wires
inside the cable where capillary action has drawn the water in.

This
is what insurance companies are worried about after floods.

The bulb in the pendant is only 15w, though.

What's that got to do with anything?

Similarly, the other pendants on the same circuit. So, isn't the
corrosion more of an issue on power circuits?

Ah I see, dissipation at a "weak point" dependant on load.

And presumably the issue is the surface of the copper at the contacts?
The main cross section of the copper wire won't corrode significantly?

In theory a properly tightened screw terminal is gas tight let alone
water tight.

I did say "slighly more concerned" which at time of drying things
might extend to seeing if any water came out of the cables an hour or
three after the ends had been dried. Dry kitchen/loo roll will show
very small amounts of water. Other than that it would be a mental
note to self that that fitting had got wet.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 21:18:46 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 23/07/2020 20:05, ARW wrote:
On 23/07/2020 19:09, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 23 July 2020 18:42:01 UTC+1, GBÂ* wrote:

I just need to fill the holes and get some stain block.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/zinsser-c...te-400ml/7447h

Worth it.

Nah, any oil based paint coat is usually enough. When it's not you can
just alternate oil & emulsion or use shellac. 98% of the time stain
block isn't needed - and when it is, spray is about the worst format
to buy it in.

**** me I have just checked my pulse to see if I am still alive.

I agree with you.

Spray it on. It's matt. It's the same colour as Dulux Brilliant White.
You've done the whole job in five minutes.

Then you realise where the overspray went.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 23 July 2020 22:06:25 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 11:09:57 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Wipe the gloss with very fine sandpaper. If you don't, emulsion takes about 3 coats to cover properly.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 12:34:53 UTC+1, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 16:27:51 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:

Have dug out a tin of ancient white oil based paint to try but

it's
gloss rather than undercoat. Not sure how well emulsion behave on
that.

Wipe the gloss with very fine sandpaper. If you don't, emulsion takes
about 3 coats to cover properly.

Ta, thought that would be the case but wanted to see if it was a non
starter or if there was some other treatment. Sugar soap maybe?

The issue with gloss is that it's glossy & oil based, so water based emulsion repels into blobs when painted on. Sugar soap won't make any difference to that. 3 coats on a small area is no big.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 23/07/2020 18:41, GB wrote:
On 23/07/2020 17:58, ARW wrote:
On 23/07/2020 11:40, GB wrote:
On 23/07/2020 08:12, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Megger?
Â* Or just see if the thing trips. Does the wire run in conduits or just
loose and is there any likelihood of the water flowing to anywhere
where
there may be a junction box?
Brian

I don't own a Megger - clearly a major failing, but what can you do?

We turned the electricity off early in the process, so maybe that
explains the lack of bang.

I made a few holes in the ceiling, to aid the flow of water out of
the ceiling space and removed the cover of the ceiling rose.Â* There's
[...]

That's the stuff we bang on ceiling tiles when they get damaged by
finger prints etc

--
Adam

My neighbour's sprinkler system was turned on when went to work, house flooded [email protected] Home Ownership 5 January 27th 05 09:30 PM
motor flooded m Ransley Home Repair 1 January 9th 05 01:16 PM
Flooded Salt Tank - Kenmore Water Softener ... S Rao Home Repair 6 October 11th 04 01:41 AM
Flooded Cellar Stormin Mormon Home Repair 5 September 11th 04 01:52 AM
Dealing with Flooded Tools. Dave Mundt Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 04:58 AM