Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bad news for angle grinders - 'uncuttable' material

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Idiot proof challenges simply result in the evolution of better idiots.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'm guessing that a jug of ferric Chloride would probably give it some
issues if its ally.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew" wrote in message
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm guessing that a jug of ferric Chloride would probably give it some
issues if its ally.

Or a drop of Gallium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html

The article doesn't say what the cutting disc type was - might be some
cheap **** Wunhunglo import.
I thought the cutting disc was certainly making good inroads before it
wore out. Stainless would have a harder time.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Bennet writes
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ritish-enginee
rs-create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

The article doesn't say what the cutting disc type was - might be some
cheap **** Wunhunglo import.
I thought the cutting disc was certainly making good inroads before it
wore out. Stainless would have a harder time.

I think the aluminium has just clogged the grits..

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html

I'd like to see it with a gas axe.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 08:48:50 +0100, Andy Bennet wrote:

The article doesn't say what the cutting disc type was - might be some
cheap **** Wunhunglo import.
I thought the cutting disc was certainly making good inroads before it
wore out.

I thought that as well. In either image of the angle grinder there
appear to be slots already cut in material behind the blade. The shot
of the worn blade as the blade well through the 1/4" or so thickness
of the material.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ish-engineers-

create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze padlocks with
liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ish-engineers-

create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze padlocks with
liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with them

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/2020 14:36, charles wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ish-engineers-
create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze padlocks with
liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with them

"no law against going equipped to make instant ice cream Your Worship"

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze

padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Robin
scribeth thus
On 21/07/2020 14:36, charles wrote:
In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ish-engineers-
create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze padlocks with
liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with them

"no law against going equipped to make instant ice cream Your Worship"

Well these guys are modern day outlaws. There're no respectors of other
peoples a land or property. i was told that they favoured a particular
field over the other the reason was they got a better 4G signal to
stream the coursing to those betting on the outcomes!...

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article l.net,
Dave Liquorice scribeth thus
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze

padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

Well in this location now the gates been smashed so around ten tons of
earth and rubble are keeping their vehicles out!..
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 16:47:28 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Well these guys are modern day outlaws. There're no respectors of other
peoples a land or property. i was told that they favoured a particular
field over the other the reason was they got a better 4G signal to
stream the coursing to those betting on the outcomes!...

Didn't think they were that organsised but now your mention it why am
I not surprised?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze

padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

Trivially fixed by having the padlock inside a steel tube,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , alan_m
scribeth thus
On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ish-engineers-

create-worlds-uncuttable-material.html

"unbreakable bike locks" many youtube videos showing that you don't
have to "break" the lock to get it undone!

Someone will possibly discover that instead of an angle grinder hitting
it with a hammer or heating with a blowtorch is more effective.

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze padlocks with
liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

Our fire trail locked gates have the padlock inside a steel cylinder.
That wouldn’t work with those and its very easy to do the lock like that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , %% writes

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
vidual.net...
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze

padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

Trivially fixed by having the padlock inside a steel tube,

Or by choosing a padlock with raised *shoulders*. Only really works for
hasp and staple which may have their own weak points.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:25:11 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

FLUSH the trolling senile pest's latest troll**** unread

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 09:36:17 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
%% wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze

padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

Trivially fixed by having the padlock inside a steel tube,

and how is that held in place? With a padlock?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
%% wrote:

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
idual.net...
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 14:36:53 +0100, charles wrote:

A farmer was telling me that hare coursers will now freeze
padlocks
with liquid nitrogen then hit them hard and they shatter!...

and they just 'happened' to be carrying a cylinder of the stuff with
them

Heavyly insulated vacum flask BWTH...

Seems a bit unlikely to me. Not many padlocks can cope with a long
strong pole shoved through the hasp and the twisted against the chain
or WHY.

Trivially fixed by having the padlock inside a steel tube,

and how is that held in place?

Its part of the fixed part of the gate.

With a padlock?

Nope.

from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 19:49:09 +1000, %%, better known as cantankerous

Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/07/2020 22:40, Andrew wrote:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...-material.html

I saw that story linked from elsewhere - and when I followed the link, half the screen was filled with an advertisement. About what one expects from click-bait websites like the daily mail, but I found this one amusing as the advert was for some sort of cutting tool.

Sometimes these clever algorithms are just too clever for their own good.

--
Clive Page