Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bent Wood

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees. I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down through the
cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm. This would
present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on the right hand
side of my swivel chair.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood

Normal plywood is very rigid because the grain direction of each layer
alternates within it, therefore it won't bend after it's manufactured.

You can get "bendy ply" and then glue/laminate several layers of it into
any reasonable shape, but you'll need plenty of clamps and asuitable
former ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 10:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood

Normal plywood is very rigid because the grain direction of each layer
alternates within it, therefore it won't bend after it's manufactured.

You can get "bendy ply" and then glue/laminate several layers of it into
any reasonable shape, but you'll need plenty of clamps and asuitable
former ...

get some insulation foam - high density underfloor - and carve a former
using saws, wire brush and sanding paper

cover it with clingfilm stretched tight, and then use several layers of
heavy glass cloth and polyester resin to make a fibreglass armresty

Or buy a chair that is the right shape?

--
€œIdeas are inherently conservative. They yield not to the attack of
other ideas but to the massive onslaught of circumstance"

- John K Galbraith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood

Normal plywood is very rigid because the grain direction of each layer
alternates within it, therefore it won't bend after it's manufactured.

You can get "bendy ply" and then glue/laminate several layers of it into
any reasonable shape, but you'll need plenty of clamps and asuitable
former ...

Agreed. Though I did once impress my late father-in-law (master builder,
and amazing carpenter) by bending 1.5 metres of skirting board to fit a
curved chimney breast (about 40 cm iirc) by putting it inside a vertical
length of cement-asbestos drain pipe with a steam cleaner hose into the
bottom for about half an hour. You would probably get away with ABS soil
pipe too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 10:05, Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees.

You would probably need to make it rather than get it.

1/4" thick sounds a bit too thin though.

For bending you have two options really. The traditional; make up a
clamping form in the shape you want, get some veneers, glue up and odd
number with the grain oriented in alternate directions, clamp em to the
former and let them set (vacuum clamping is good for small items like
this), and leave it to set before trimming to final size.

Or, kerf bend a bit of ply; make multiple, parallel, close spaced non
thorough saw cuts in one side of the ply in the area of the bend, so you
leave a thin section un-cut. The ply should now bend to shape with the
saw cuts on the inside of the bend. To make the bend permanent, fill the
kerfs with a gap filling adhesive like epoxy, bend to shape and leave
for the glue to set, then sand clean.

I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down through the
cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm. This would
present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on the right hand
side of my swivel chair.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/07/2020 10:05, Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees. I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down through the
cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm. This would
present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on the right hand
side of my swivel chair.

Or just get one ready made :-)

https://www.beadlecromeinteriors.co....r-table/p19025
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 22:46:00 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

On 16/7/20 7:05 pm, Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20"
square and bent 90 degrees. I want to make an 'armrest table' for my
computer chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down
through the cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm.
This would present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on
the right hand side of my swivel chair.

DUI Make it.

Thanks folks....I will make it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 16 July 2020 21:01:10 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
"Smolley" wrote in message ...

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees.

You can't. There are many other ways to do it.

I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down through the
cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm. This would
present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on the right hand
side of my swivel chair.

I've seen those usually made of some stuff called formwood, which I think is
a plastic that looks like it has a grain.
Brian

taste so bad it has form

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees. I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair.

Alternatively don't bend anything, cut the curves and stack multiple
layers similar to this?

https://youtu.be/4ZTmIWGWwto?t=15

Warped Bent Twisted Wood k Woodworking 2 December 12th 07 03:12 AM
First time bent lamination (kinda long) Slowhand Woodworking 11 April 30th 04 01:07 PM
twisted bent warped wood xrongor Woodworking 6 April 6th 04 01:37 PM
Bent Spindle? Paul Weber Metalworking 8 August 26th 03 01:41 PM
Bent crankshaft Dave Liquorice UK diy 26 July 22nd 03 09:43 AM