Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Bent Wood

On 16/07/2020 10:05, Smolley wrote:

Where could I get a piece of bent plywood, maybe 1/4" thick and 20" square
and bent 90 degrees.

You would probably need to make it rather than get it.

1/4" thick sounds a bit too thin though.

For bending you have two options really. The traditional; make up a
clamping form in the shape you want, get some veneers, glue up and odd
number with the grain oriented in alternate directions, clamp em to the
former and let them set (vacuum clamping is good for small items like
this), and leave it to set before trimming to final size.

Or, kerf bend a bit of ply; make multiple, parallel, close spaced non
thorough saw cuts in one side of the ply in the area of the bend, so you
leave a thin section un-cut. The ply should now bend to shape with the
saw cuts on the inside of the bend. To make the bend permanent, fill the
kerfs with a gap filling adhesive like epoxy, bend to shape and leave
for the glue to set, then sand clean.

I want to make an 'armrest table' for my computer
chair. The idea is that the vertical side will slot down through the
cushions and the horizontal top to rest on the chair arm. This would
present a stable flat surface for the mouse and keyboard on the right hand
side of my swivel chair.

--
Cheers,

John.