Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Everything you don't DIY!

Some jobs are beyond your own scope, but don't you wish you'd kept a
better eye on the process?

Had rear access stairs fitted at the shop. Due to the height there
needed to be a platform some way up (I think there's a maximum of 15
steps in a run).

So it seemed logical to the 'engineer' to put the platform half way up.

Just high enough to get under to shift bins about etc, just low enough
to stove your head in.
If only It had gone two steps further up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 13 July 2020 12:07:33 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
Just high enough to get under to shift bins about etc, just low enough
to stove your head in.
If only It had gone two steps further up.

I had similar thoughts after butchering a teak lounge fitment to accommodate a telly, taking out the shelves and 'cocktail cabinet' fittings.

I realised I could just have put the telly on the low chest of drawers instead.

Oh well, too late now. What's smashed out with a lump hammer won't go back with superglue.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2020 21:18, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
How tall was the contractor? Bet he was quite short!

I was wondering the same!
It was all dealt with largely in my absence although i'm sure I met him
but I can't remember.

The fire escape is right outside a waiting area and where we keep a bin.
I'm either going to have to pad it, or dig out a few inches of floor
because I banged my nut on it and it was all I could do to stifle the
expletives!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/07/2020 12:07, R D S wrote:
Some jobs are beyond your own scope, but don't you wish you'd kept a
better eye on the process?

Had rear access stairs fitted at the shop. Due to the height there
needed to be a platform some way up (I think there's a maximum of 15
steps in a run).

So it seemed logical to the 'engineer' to put the platform half way up.

Just high enough to get under to shift bins about etc, just low enough
to stove your head in.
If only It had gone two steps further up.

If you're having a job done you have to be there all the time or they'll
cock something up.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2020 11:26:56 UTC+1, R D S wrote:
The fire escape is right outside a waiting area and where we keep a bin.
I'm either going to have to pad it, or dig out a few inches of floor
because I banged my nut on it and it was all I could do to stifle the
expletives!

If you dig the ground out (if it's outside) it'll accumulate stagnant water.

The usual technieque with scaffolding is pipe insulation over it to stop injury.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 14 July 2020 21:52:16 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
Oh well, too late now. What's smashed out with a lump hammer won't

But expanding foam has a good chance...

Expanding foam is banned from my lounge, or anywhere I want to keep the carpet.

I had a bit of an experience filling holes in the bedroom; I forgot they went right through to the lounge.

Owain