Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sunak's green £5000

Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sunak's green ?Q?=C2=A35000?=

Peter Johnson wrote:
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?

I think you'd have to wait for the details, but he
https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ne...ergy-efficien/

"The Treasury says the vouchers can pay for "green improvements such as
loft, wall and floor insulation", while business secretary Alok Sharma has
indicated that double-glazing will also be included.

The Government hasn't yet given a complete list, so other improvements may
also be covered - though Martin's had a tip-off that it's unlikely new
boilers will be included. We'll update this story when we have full info."

It sounds like replacing single with double glazing would be covered, but
whether replacing existing double glazing would be covered is a different
question.

For your specific windows, you can run the numbers for your particular
window as to whether it'll make much difference. If it's under 10 years old
factors like cold bridging have likely been covered, so it's just the
conductivity of the glazing that matters.

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

What about the issue of non cavity walls as on my house, what is the best
approach?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Theo" wrote in message
Peter Johnson wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?B?UmU6IFN1bmFrJ3MgZ3JlZW4gwqM1MDAw?=

On Saturday, 11 July 2020 08:18:22 UTC+1, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
What about the issue of non cavity walls as on my house, what is the best
approach?

Internal insulation, if you don't mind the disruption and your rooms getting smaller.

External insulation, if you don't mind the change in appearance.

A good fire, and rebuild, if you live in a run-down mansion.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?Re=3a_Sunak=27s_green_=c2=a35000?=

On 10/07/2020 21:40, Peter Johnson wrote:
Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?

AFAIK no one knows the details yet. Eg for those not on benefits it may
be £5,000 but only if the work brings the whole house up to a set
standard that may require a contribution from the owner. Or the £5,000
may be only for homes that start off below a set standard.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Move !!!

On 11/07/2020 08:18, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
What about the issue of non cavity walls as on my house, what is the best
approach?
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2020 12:10, Robin wrote:
On 10/07/2020 21:40, Peter Johnson wrote:
Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?

AFAIK no one knows the details yet.Â* Eg for those not on benefits it may
be £5,000 but only if the work brings the whole house up to a set
standard that may require a contribution from the owner.Â* Or the £5,000
may be only for homes that start off below a set standard.

Those pesky 'green deal' cold calls are going to be back
with a vengeance though :-(
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/07/2020 12:57, Andrew wrote:
[...]

Very possibly - along with "approved installers" who all seem to quote
the same ([inflated] price. They're not not mentioned in the only
official text I've seen* but I doubt DIY will be an option.

*"The government will introduce a £2 billion Green Homes Grant,
providing at least £2 for every £1 homeowners and landlords spend to
make their homes more energy efficient, up to £5,000 per household. For
those on the lowest incomes, the scheme will fully fund energy
efficiency measures of up to £10,000 per household. In total this could
support over 100,000 green jobs and help strengthen a supply chain that
will be vital for meeting our target of net zero greenhouse gas
emissions by 2050. The scheme aims to upgrade over 600,000 homes across
England, saving households hundreds of pounds per year on their energy
bills."

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default =?iso-8859-1?Q?_Sunak's_green_=A35000?=

"Peter Johnson" wrote in message
Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.

CH boilers are the new-anti Christ

Don't expect that work to be covered (even if you needed it)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default ?Q?_Sunak's_green_=C2=A35000?=

"Robin" wrote in message
On 10/07/2020 21:40, Peter Johnson wrote:
Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?

AFAIK no one knows the details yet. Eg for those not on benefits it may
be £5,000 but only if the work brings the whole house up to a set standard
that may require a contribution from the owner.

It's that nonsense that killed the green deal (not that it didn't deserve to
be killed)

Don't expect it to be that complicated

Or the £5,000 may be only for homes that start off below a set standard.

ditto

This is about creating jobs (as well as anything else) as long as the work
is reasonably justified (and performed by a registered contractor), it will
qualify

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 10 Jul 2020 21:40:33 +0100, Peter Johnson
wrote:

Thinking how it might be possible to make use of the £5000 we're all
going to get as a contribution towards making our homes more
efficient.
My walls are insulated and the roof insullation made thicker. I'm
satisfied with the central heating boiler.
The double glazing is less than 10 years old, just.
But I have two large windows. The largest is 2.4 x 1.3m and faces
nearly due south. Would there be any benefit if having these two
triple glazed? Any opinions?

Found an answer he
https://www.heatspaceandlight.com/ca...save-u-values/